U.S. Charges Seven Iranian Hackers With Infiltrating Banks, Dam

dani67

Gold Member
Dec 21, 2015

Attorney General Loretta Lynch and FBI Director James Comey stand by a poster of Iranians, who are wanted by the FBI for computer hacking, on Thursday at the Justice Department.
94-12-694.jpg

The Department of Justice on Thursday unsealed indictments against seven hackers linked with Iran’s government in connection with cyberattacks on 46 financial institutions and a dam in New York.

The indictments filed in federal court in Manhattan mark the first time the U.S. is charging nation-state hackers with attacking critical infrastructure. Attorney General Loretta Lynch announced the indictments during a press conference with FBI Director James Comey, Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara, and Assistant Attorney General for National Security John Carlin.

"The FBI will find those behind cyber intrusions and hold them accountable wherever they are, and whoever they are," Comey said. “By calling out the individuals and nations who use cyber attacks to threaten American enterprise, as we have done in this indictment, we will change behavior.”

RELATED

Hacker Posts FBI, DHS Employee Data

The seven people charged were employees of Iranian computer security firms who were sponsored by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard and are charged with staging direct denial of service attacks that flooded the servers of financial institutions from late 2011 to mid-2013. No data was believed to have been stolen. The attacks cost those companies tens of millions of dollars to repair the damage that prevented “hundreds of thousands of Americans” from accessing their accounts in an attempt to undermine America’s national security via its economy, Lynch said.

U.S. Had Cyberattack Plan if Iran Nuclear Dispute Led to Conflict

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/17/w...if-iran-nuclear-negotiations-failed.html?_r=0

Iran’s Fordo Nuclear Facility

Fordo is buried in a mountain deep inside an Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps base. The site came to public attention in 2009 when President Obama announced its existence.

fordo-Artboard_1.png

Source: Satellite photograph by Google (2013).

By The New York Times

Iranian Cyber Attack on New York Dam Shows Future of War
Conflict between states moving online

said, unveiling charges against seven Iranians for cyber attacks. The hackers, members of the Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, also targeted several financial institutions, the New York Stock Exchange and AT&T with barrages of incoming emails designed to slow or shut down some of their computers, according to the indictment.

Hackers broke into the command and control system of the dam in 2013, apparently through a cellular modem. While 34-year-old Hamid Firoozi should have been able to release water from behind the dam given his remote access, he “did not have that capability because the sluice gate had been manually disconnected for maintenance at the time of the intrusion,” the U.S. government said.
Iranian Cyber Attack on New York Dam Shows Future of War

Russian Intelligence inside the American banking System

Evgeny Buryakov Pleads Guilty In Manhattan Federal Court In Connection With Conspiracy To Work For Russian Intelligence | USAO-SDNY | Department of Justice

Alot of people are inside the U.S. and acting as a "Foreign Agent."

Unsung heroes, the "Guys in the shadows" - Counterintelligence

Not many people take espionage, spying, intelligence collection seriously. But it happens every day in America. The 25 year old whom just got out of college, the 50 year old with 31 years job seniority, the secretary, the Chief Financial Officer, the contractor. All can be spys.

I was US Army. Stateside and especially overseas......we are educated and taught - that everyone can harm or kill you. The one most likely to do so.....is the one that looks innocent and like an everyday flag waving American.

I use to work Security ( and I had a US Govt Security Clearance ) for the Army. I know the possibilities and damage that can be caused by an espionage agent.

Shadow 355

Last edited:
I wonder what kind of message needs to be sent to these hackers...and to the nations that harbor them...one that underscores the consequences. Any ideas?

I wonder what kind of message needs to be sent to these hackers...and to the nations that harbor them...one that underscores the consequences. Any ideas?

Spying operations, by electronic and other means occurs every day, and people simply do not get caught - OR they spy for so long.....it is years before they get caught at it.

After you catch them, you have to have the evidence against them in court. You either have enough evidence to lock them up for many - many years, or you have enough evidence for incarceration for just months - like 22 months......or less , for which they only serve about 60% of in all actuality.

Sometimes crime does pay off sometimes, and if you get caught....it is a "slap on the wrists." So criminal activity needs to be investigated by competent and knowledgeable investigators ; who need to work with knowledgeable and competent prosecutors......prosecutors whom back their investigators. If the prosecutors do not back and support the investigators, you have work being performed for nothing.....a waste of man hours, and investigators doubt the prosecutors. Investigators whom put forth an effort for nothing, soon start doing substandard work ; because the Prosecutors will not back them....issue a search or arrest warrant, or will not take a case to trial after the investigators worked their butts off.

Shadow 355

If you sent one, would it do any good.

Action ------> Benefit.

Underlying cause.

Shadow 355

If you sent one, would it do any good.

Action ------> Benefit.

Underlying cause.

Shadow 355
Action------>assassination
Benefit------->actor eliminated

Underlying cause....a useless discussion

A bullet to the head is the most efficient way...

No. Even criminals have rights ( legal....et-al ), no matter if you are an American or a foreign national.

Shadow 355
Declare war...treat them as enemy... No prosecution....execution.

Only in America could an electronic company like Apple defy the federal government's effort to decypher it's phone while it seems the authorities have commissioned hackers to do it. You almost gotta laugh.

Only in America could an electronic company like Apple defy the federal government's effort to decypher it's phone while it seems the authorities have commissioned hackers to do it. You almost gotta laugh.

Apple didn't take that stand in China. Sometimes our freedoms and protections are used as a weapon.

I'm sure our CIA is doing the same thing in Iran, as well as many other countries around the world. I mean, our Government has actually been caught hacking and spying on its own allies. This is just another case of 'Do as i say, not as i do.'

When are Americans gonna notice that everything their Government condemns others for doing, they're doing those same things. It's all a misdirection magic trick. I'm sure our Government is doing much more hacking and spying in Iran, than Iran is doing here in the U.S.

No. Even criminals have rights ( legal....et-al ), no matter if you are an American or a foreign national.

Shadow 355

Why do y'all always want more war? I mean it's not like you're gonna get anything out of it. Only the few Globalist Elites profit from war. I wouldn't be so quick to send kids off to hellholes to be killed & maimed.

They're only gonna suffer so some powerful Globalist Elites can get more wealthy & powerful. War is not all it's cracked up to be. Average Citizens don't gain anything from it.

Action------>assassination
Benefit------->actor eliminated

Underlying cause....a useless discussion

Underlying cause & Ulterior Motive(s). Who are the players? Where and whom is the leadership. Methods of communication - Habits - Travel times and locations ( ??? Routine ??? ) - Known Associates.

Watch and observe.

Assassination is illegal. Hmmm, I am thinking that was a President Carter thing - Executive Order.

I guess you failed "American Government class" in High School.
ThisNation.com--Rights of the Accused

--------------------------------------------

Georgetown.Edu ---> http://scholarship.law.georgetown.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1302&context=facpub

1) Foreign Nationals are protected by the US Constitution.

2) Due Process and Equal Protection to "All Persons" even Foreign Nationals.

-----------------------------------------------

Do Noncitizens Have Constitutional Rights?

Quote = " Not necessarily. True, the Bill of Rights applies to everyone, even illegal immigrants. So an immigrant, legal or illegal, prosecuted under the criminal code has the right to due process, a speedy and public trial, and other rights protected by the Fifth and Sixth Amendments."

Quote = "But immigration proceedings are matters of administrative law, not criminal law."

------------------------------------------------

Does the Constitution Protect Foreigners? | The Classroom | Synonym

Quote = "The 14th Amendment says no state may "deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." The fact that the Constitution does not specifically use the word ''citizens'' in that part of the amendment gives the Supreme Court a basis to conclude that non-citizens are protected."

--- "Deprive any person....." It says person...not citizen.

Quote = "In addition to the equal protection granted in the 14th Amendment, the Supreme Court has held that non-citizens are entitled to due process under the Fifth Amendment"

---------------

Susan Collins spreads central myth about the Constitution

Quote = .......the U.S. Supreme Court, in 2008, issued a highly publicized opinion, in Boumediene v. Bush, which, by itself, makes clear how false is the claim that the Constitution applies only to Americans. The Boumediene Court held that it was unconstitutional for the Military Commissions Act to deny habeas corpus rights to Guantanamo detainees,"

Quote = "..........not even Antonin Scalia — believe that the Constitution only applies to American citizens."

-------------------------------------

I wont explain in depth, But I know what it is like to be treated harshly, and extremely callous. I know personally what being "raked over the coals" and "raped" means, because I have had to suffer for over a decade.... from the hatred and terrible actions of many-many other people. I know personally what it is like to be "cheated", and "spit on."

I don't agree with terrorists, or terrorism. But that being said, everyone has rights. Even poor, homeless and unkempt people have been arrested, incarcerated and put on trial.....for crimes they have not committed. But a "dirty cop" and a "corrupt prosecutor" "stuck it to" the little guy, whom they believed had no meaning in life. They believed that the homeless person would not be missed.

Go out on the street with a notebook. Ask approximately two hundred citizens two simple questions --- How do you feel about an innocent person being incarcerated for a crime they did not commit? And how do you feel about a persons ( not citizen(s) ) rights and due process being violated?

Document the answers. Get answers from men - women - college students - blue color workers and white color workers.

Shadow 355

EVERYONE deserves a trial. Everyone deserves to have the evidence against them presented. The accused deserves competent legal representation. The accused deserves to live free from harassment and "hazing" by the accusers.

If I was an accused, especially if I was unfairly accused / and not the real perpetrator....... and if I could afford it - I would walk in the courtroom with a half a dozen lawyers. I'd make the "Dream Team" ( OJ Simpson case ) look like a very small slumber party of bed wetters. The Prosecutor would be begging for me to take my talons out of them ; and the Prosecutor would be on their knees begging me for mercy.

Then I ( my lawyers ) would do my best to prove to the Judge ( and possibly the jury ) that the Prosecutor was looking for someone to "Close the case."........ was incompetent, unprofessional, committed ethics violations, perjury.....and whatever else I could prove. The opposing counsel would regret ever hearing my name, or seeing my face.

Deltex1 - Sir..... How would you feel if your rights were violated, you were unfairly detained, held in incarceration.....for something you did not do? How you feel if you were unfaily and/or unjustly subject to a interrogation? How would you feel if you were made to strip all your clothes off in front of others whom are "accused" and be subject to a "cavity" search. How would you feel if you had to sleep in a extremely hot or cold "cell" that was not clean?

You need to put yourself in other peoples shoes, evaluate the situation and circumstances.

But that all being said - the guilty do need to pay for their crimes.

Shadow 355

Forum List

Back