UK will give sovereignty of Chagos Islands to Mauritius.

expat500

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2012
The UK has announced it is giving up sovereignty of a remote but strategically important cluster of islands in the Indian Ocean after more than half a century.

The deal – reached after years of negotiations - will see the UK hand over the Chagos Islands to Mauritius in a historic move.

This includes the tropical atoll of Diego Garcia, used by the US government as a military base for its navy ships and long-range bomber aircraft.

The announcement, made in a joint statement by the UK and Mauritian Prime Ministers, ends decades of often fractious negotiations between the two countries.

"This is a seminal moment in our relationship and a demonstration of our enduring commitment to the peaceful resolution of disputes and the rule of law," the statement from UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer and Mauritius Prime Minister Pravind Jugnauth read.

The leaders also said they were committed "to ensure the long-term, secure and effective operation of the existing base on Diego Garcia which plays a vital role in regional and global security".

The treaty will also "address wrongs of the past and demonstrate the commitment of both parties to support the welfare of Chagossians".

UK Foreign Secretary David Lammy said the benefits of the deal included closing "a potential illegal migration route".

Dozens of Sri Lankan Tamils have been held in a fenced camp on the island for three years as complex legal battles are waged over their fate.

It is unclear what the announcement will mean for them.

Dame Andrea Jenkyns warned that China will 'sink their teeth' into the Chagos Islands now they have been surrendered.
GB News

It’s not like that JGalt. The Americans have a base on one of those islands. These islands Britain holds on to, are not for reasons of empire, but strategic locations for the benefit of all of us.

The issues l have been studying lately highlight that most of us don’t know what’s going on in the rest of the world, because it’s hardly reported. For instance, I wonder if the Israel haters know that thousands of Muslims are being held in Chinese concentration camps.

Oh and, Rule Britannia is not a song about world dominance. It’s in defiance of the Barbary Pirates, who were dominating the seas, and taking slaves, Brits amongst them.

The UK has announced it is giving up sovereignty of a remote but strategically important cluster of islands in the Indian Ocean after more than half a century.

Surely you realize that this is an admission by the British Empire which once ruled 93% of the planet just 150 years ago that it is now impotent and folding camp? They are no longer running crap much less their own island of England and have sold the British out to invading marauders.

Surely you realize that this is an admission by the British Empire which once ruled 93% of the planet just 150 years ago that it is now impotent and folding camp? They are no longer running crap much less their own island of England and have sold the British out to invading marauders.

That’s a far too simplistic and emotional way of looking at it. There’s much more to it that that.

Particularly the Chinese menace.

It was for their own good.

What on earth did they mean by having their island under someone else's runway?

They're just children interfering in the affairs of adults.

It was for their own good.

What on earth did they mean by having their island under someone else's runway?

They're just children interfering in the affairs of adults.

I presume that was meant for me. As l don’t regard you as a serious poster, merely a receptacle for immature snarks about Britain, the US, and me, l don’t know why you bother.

I presume that was meant for me. As l don’t regard you as a serious poster, merely a receptacle for immature snarks about Britain, the US, and me, l don’t know why you bother.
I'm just supporting you in your demonstration of the irrelevance of people's claims to homelands when might makes right. I bet it was used for black sites as well.

Last edited:
they never ruled anywhere near 93%.....

Who's behind the times? Have you just caught up?

I'm just supporting you in your demonstration of the irrelevance of people's claims to homelands when might makes right. I bet it was used for black sites as well.

As l said, don’t bother. You’re not a serious poster.

It’s not like that JGalt. The Americans have a base on one of those islands. These islands Britain holds on to, are not for reasons of empire, but strategic locations for the benefit of all of us.
Except for benefit of the islanders.

Funny that.

As though the first wave of Chinese landing craft will be motoring up the Rhine any day now.

they never ruled anywhere near 93%.....

Out of roughly 193 countries in the world, the Great Britain has occupied or ruled over all of them save for these mostly tiny 22 countries:

• Funny
Reactions: cnm
Britain ruled 93 % of the planet? As far as I know they never ruled Russia or China so that alone makes it impossible.

Britain ruled 93 % of the planet? As far as I know they never ruled Russia or China so that alone makes it impossible.

They ruled, occupied or invaded all but 22 little shit countries not worth bothering with.
Russia and China finally beat them back out mainly only because the Brits saw that it was easier to strike up
a consortium of deals rather than materially physically try to rule them from within.

Both profited and how do you otherwise think China ever parlayed themselves up from a 3rd world nation
into a world superpower? By playing off the West.

Forum List

Back