UN-Lock Your Apple?

DarkFury

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2015
Sun, Sand And Palm Trees
I'm more then a bit split on this one.
I would love for the FBI to have ALL that crazed killers info. It MIGHT save a life.
So part of me says yeah rip that phone apart.

At the same time it appears Apple has designed a phone so well the FBI cannot get your stuff. That is major privacy and protection from snooping.

So what do we give up?
A little privacy for protection.
OR
A little protection for privacy?

Make an exception in this instance, have Apple unlock the phone.

Give gov't the tools to do this at will? No fucking way.

Q: Could this phone be rigged so that if unlocked, it could trigger something else?

Tip: write down your passcode somewhere so if something happens to you, family can access your phone.

• Banned

Q: Could this phone be rigged so that if unlocked, it could trigger something else?

Tip: write down your passcode somewhere so if something happens to you, family can access your phone.
I think you made the best reply right off the bat. Go after each phone on a case by case basis.

I think you made the best reply right off the bat. Go after each phone on a case by case basis.

There have been many instances where a family member has died but never wrote their passcode down. Some have been suicides, murders . . . something could be on the phone that could help those left behind. Apple has turned down all requests. If it's known that Apple will not budge, let someone know your code so it's accessible.

imo, terrorists phone = exception to rule. Unlock the phone.

upload_2016-2-19_22-41-16.jpeg

It's been reported at several levels of the government that the administration doesn't want to know who's who on being a terrorist by ordering people watching known and suspected terrorists to destroy the information they have......

I'll keep my privacy and liberty if this is how the government operates.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Feds Say Apple Has Unlocked Suspects' iPhones 'At Least' 70 Times in the Past
this is what confuses me
I do think in the case of a proven terrorist, maybe they should, when court ordered due to the possibility of their being another terrorist tied to them.
The iPhone 5 contained a backdoor that allowed Apple to unlock the phone. Apple used this ability 70 times to unlock iphone5 phones. Because it had this backdoor hackers found it and hacked into millions of phones stealing personal information. That's why the iPhone6 had no backdoor.

Nope, chain of evidence would create the need for the information (as to the unlocking method) to be made public should the phone lead to an arrest.

I'm more then a bit split on this one.
I would love for the FBI to have ALL that crazed killers info. It MIGHT save a life.
So part of me says yeah rip that phone apart.

At the same time it appears Apple has designed a phone so well the FBI cannot get your stuff. That is major privacy and protection from snooping.

So what do we give up?
A little privacy for protection.
OR
A little protection for privacy?

what the government is demanding

is that a private corporation be forced into creating software

to break into a cellphone that they want to scan

privacy is the next issue

Who is handling their shit using an iphone? Any smart person just assumes the government already has this capability and conducts their affairs accordingly rather than leaving an electronic cookie crumb trail that leads back to them.

Feds Say Apple Has Unlocked Suspects' iPhones 'At Least' 70 Times in the Past
this is what confuses me
I do think in the case of a proven terrorist, maybe they should, when court ordered due to the possibility of their being another terrorist tied to them.
The iPhone 5 contained a backdoor that allowed Apple to unlock the phone. Apple used this ability 70 times to unlock iphone5 phones. Because it had this backdoor hackers found it and hacked into millions of phones stealing personal information. That's why the iPhone6 had no backdoor.

over the years the government has taken issue

with other encryption software where the key has been thrown away
Who is handling their shit using an iphone? Any smart person just assumes the government already has this capability and conducts affairs accordingly rather than leaving an electronic cookie crumb trail that leads back to them.

actually no

the government had accessed the phone

put their own password on it

then forgot the password

oops

--LOL

The government can buy iPhones by the thousands and hire all the help they need to crack Apple's security. Question then becomes, does Apple want to do this themselves and have control somewhat over the process or yield all that control to the government who'll probably outsource it to India?

The government can buy iPhones by the thousands and hire all the help they need to crack Apple's security. Question then becomes, does Apple want to do this themselves and have control somewhat over the process or yield all that control to the government who'll probably outsource it to India?

apple is most likely developing the next IPhone with new security features

People are acting like unbreakable encryption is a new concept and that the FBI getting all pissy because they can't crack it has never happened before.

2010 called, they want their news back.

FBI hackers fail to crack TrueCrypt

My friend had his computers ceased by the FBI with this encryption. 3 years later and they have still been unable to crack it. It's called 256bit encryption.

Why can't apple just extract the data and give it to the fbi, rather than them demand the key?

Forum List

Back