Under New House Health-Care Bill, Rape Is a Preexisting Condition

All lies. From the Washington post fact checker-

The reality

The AHCA does not specifically address or classify rape or sexual assault as a pre-existing condition. It also would not deny coverage to anyone because of a pre-existing condition.

Domestic abuse survivors and mothers could also see be denied coverage or see their premiums increased under the plan.

When House Republicans passed the American Health Care Act on Thursday, many Americans likely thought of their family and friends living with cancer, diabetes, or heart disease. These diseases are commonly referred to as “pre-existing conditions” – conditions which, under the Republican health care bill, could result in them being denied health insurance.

But another, less publicised group of people were also concerned by the bill's passage: rape survivors.

Before Obamacare, some insurance companies considered rape and domestic abuse pre-existing conditions. One woman, Jody Neal-Post, says she was turned away after telling a potential insurance that she was a domestic violence victim – despite otherwise being perfectly healthy.

Half of the top 16 insurance companies in the US in 1994 admitted they considered domestic violence in factor in determining premiums, and whether or not to deny someone coverage.

Under Obamacare, that changed: The law prohibited employers from denying coverage or racking up premiums for those with pre-existing conditions. It also prohibited insurers from “gender rating,” or charging more for insurance just for being a woman. The number of uninsured women went from 19 per cent to just 8 per cent after it was passed.

The new American Health Care Act, however, contains an amendment allows states to opt out of protections for pre-existing conditions. That means women like Ms Neal-Post could once again find themselves unable to find coverage.

More: Under New Health-Care Bill, Rape Is a Preexisting Condition

Unbelievable - and unconscionable! This should infuriate all women. Even as a man - I'm infuriated. By definition - rape is not a choice.
Rape is an action, not a condition.

Yes, rape is an action - then Trumpcare considers it a condition. As in preexisting condition.

So, tell me, what is it you claim they will be denied?
All lies. From the Washington post fact checker-

The reality

The AHCA does not specifically address or classify rape or sexual assault as a pre-existing condition. It also would not deny coverage to anyone because of a pre-existing condition.

Domestic abuse survivors and mothers could also see be denied coverage or see their premiums increased under the plan.

When House Republicans passed the American Health Care Act on Thursday, many Americans likely thought of their family and friends living with cancer, diabetes, or heart disease. These diseases are commonly referred to as “pre-existing conditions” – conditions which, under the Republican health care bill, could result in them being denied health insurance.

But another, less publicised group of people were also concerned by the bill's passage: rape survivors.

Before Obamacare, some insurance companies considered rape and domestic abuse pre-existing conditions. One woman, Jody Neal-Post, says she was turned away after telling a potential insurance that she was a domestic violence victim – despite otherwise being perfectly healthy.

Half of the top 16 insurance companies in the US in 1994 admitted they considered domestic violence in factor in determining premiums, and whether or not to deny someone coverage.

Under Obamacare, that changed: The law prohibited employers from denying coverage or racking up premiums for those with pre-existing conditions. It also prohibited insurers from “gender rating,” or charging more for insurance just for being a woman. The number of uninsured women went from 19 per cent to just 8 per cent after it was passed.

The new American Health Care Act, however, contains an amendment allows states to opt out of protections for pre-existing conditions. That means women like Ms Neal-Post could once again find themselves unable to find coverage.

Unbelievable - and unconscionable! This should infuriate all women. Even as a man - I'm infuriated. By definition - rape is not a choice.
Rape is an action, not a condition.

Yes, rape is an action - then Trumpcare considers it a condition. As in preexisting condition.

/--- If I buy an expensive boat but no insurance then wreck it, can I buy insurance after the fact and have the insurance company fix the damage?The cracked hull is pre existing.

Feel free to stop calling it "insurance". What we are trying to do is to make healthcare available to all citizens.

The hyperbole of the left is reaching new heights.

No hyperbole at all. My statement stands. We democrats want everyone to have health care, just like everyone over 65 have Medicare. If you get hung up on saying, '... that is not "insurance"', then simply don't call it insurance.

/--- If I buy an expensive boat but no insurance then wreck it, can I buy insurance after the fact and have the insurance company fix the damage?The cracked hull is pre existing.

Feel free to stop calling it "insurance". What we are trying to do is to make healthcare available to all citizens.
I thought the Supreme Court called it a tax? Damn peeps need to make up their minds on what to call this racketeering scam they got going is. Is it a tax, insurance or faux medical care where lots of people have mental security and others have office positions but nobody is getting (their real) health care needs met.

All of us on Medicare are getting our needs met. Just expand Medicare to cover everyone.

No hyperbole at all. My statement stands. We democrats want everyone to have health care, just like everyone over 65 have Medicare. If you get hung up on saying, '... that is not "insurance"', then simply don't call it insurance.

You democrats want a lot of things that are stupid.

You can't even define what health care is. When do you decide that people got "health care" ? You've never answered that question.

Not only is rape a pre-existing condition to them, but they think a mother pregnant by rape should be forced to carry the child with no benefits or assistance to the mother or the child.

Vote them out in 2018.

I thought the Supreme Court called it a tax? Damn peeps need to make up their minds on what to call this racketeering scam they got going is. Is it a tax, insurance or faux medical care where lots of people have mental security and others have office positions but nobody is getting (their real) health care needs met.

All of us on Medicare are getting our needs met. Just expand Medicare to cover everyone.

Not hardly.

I remember this one:

Mayo unit no longer to accept Medicare

If you look at the numbers.....it's only going one way.

You democrats want a lot of things that are stupid.

You can't even define what health care is. When do you decide that people got "health care" ? You've never answered that question.

Having spent 50 years in the health insurance business, drafting health insurance policies, I assure you that I know what "health care" is. In the contract under which you are insured, it is, "Care and treatment of the insured for body or mental disorder, or injury."

"Some insurance companies considered rape a preexisting condition" According to who, the Clinton insurance companies?

Not hardly.

I remember this one:

Mayo unit no longer to accept Medicare

If you look at the numbers.....it's only going one way.

Wrong again, Sun. As stated in your own link, the only thing that they are no longer going to accept is Medicare coverage for primary care providers. Now, If you go to Mao Clinic in Phoenix (which is where my daughter works as a nurse) to get your flu shot and cold medicine, then you may have a problem. If you go to a primary care physician in a local practice, like everyone else in the US, then you have no problem

".The changes, which go into effect Jan. 1, apply only to primary-care services offered at Mayo Clinic Family Medicine-Arrowhead."

I proved you wrong once before on this months ago. Must I do it over and over again?

I could see doing that with certain limitations more than giving more gifts to insurance moguls via government force. The thing is though greed doesn't stop and your medical communities have gotten pretty damn greedy in many aspects. Plus where do we put personal responsibility in it all. Do you allow private doctors and facilities in that because if you don't the best will not strive to be the best. That communism and socialism type system just never works out very well. I think you'd be stuck with more facilities like one I know of here that actually gives patients more than it takes away (MRSA, etc). From what I have seen in people we know I really wonder if they aren't doing some of it on purpose to keep the cash flows high

There really is nothing to worry about. While it is true that being raped could be a risk for a pre-existing condition for mental health coverage, Trump has rescinded the ban on the mentally ill from owning firearms, so it all evens out..

How many times have you been raped?

That is totally out of line, Doc.

That is totally out of line, Doc.

Why? He's a guy.

Read page 70. It will prove you all wrong-

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-115hr1628rh/pdf/BILLS-115hr1628rh.pdf

(a) Modification of Definition of Qualified Health Plan.--
(1) In general.--Section 36B(c)(3)(A) of the Internal
Revenue Code of 1986 is amended--
(A) by inserting ``(determined without regard to
subparagraphs (A), (C)(ii), and (C)(iv) of paragraph
(1) thereof and without regard to whether the plan is
offered on an Exchange)'' after ``1301(a) of the
Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act'', and
(B) by striking ``shall not include'' and all that
follows and inserting ``shall not include any health
plan that--
``(i) is a grandfathered health plan or a
grandmothered health plan, or
``(ii) includes coverage for abortions
(other than any abortion necessary to save the
life of the mother or any abortion with respect
to a pregnancy that is the result of an act of
rape or incest;

Not only is rape a pre-existing condition to them, but they think a mother pregnant by rape should be forced to carry the child with no benefits or assistance to the mother or the child.

Vote them out in 2018.

One woman, Jody Neal-Post, says she was turned away

Fake news

Idiot

So when you don't like the news you don't even look into it to see if it is fake....and ignore it.

WASHINGTON – Jody Neal-Post has been reading about the health care law debate with worry these days.

She’s worried about how the new health care law won’t carry protections for all people with pre-existing conditions. She is relatively healthy, but before Obamacare, she had a hard time getting insurance because of what some companies considered a pre-existing condition: She is a domestic violence survivor.

Rape and domestic violence could be considered pre-existing conditions

She is lying like hell..

So if I get shot and go to the hospital with half my head blown off

The insurance company would say " pre existing condition" ??

abuse was a pre-existing condition under the bill.
“The New AHCA Bill Lists Sexual Assault And Domestic Abuse As ‘Pre-Existing Conditions’”

THIS NEEDS CONTEXT. Before the Affordable Care Act, several states did not have laws that prohibited insurers from counting domestic violence as a pre-existing condition. But it’s unclear if insurers actually did deny coverage to victims of domestic violence in the years that immediately preceded passage of the health law.

Five states — Idaho, North Carolina, South Carolina, Vermont and Wyoming — do not bar insurers from considering domestic violence a declinable pre-existing condition, said Gretchen Borchelt, the vice president for reproductive rights and health at the National Women’s Law Center. Many insurers did deny coverage to domestic violence victims in the 1990s, according to multiple surveys.

I can only speak of my state, on the insurance application there was a question, have you received any type of counseling in the past 5 or 10 years? If you answered yes you had to explain. The insurance company then ordered doctor records from all the person's physician's. Most were denied coverage in the end.
Of course you should have received counseling for rape.

Forum List

Back