Under sequestration, troops will sweep more and train less

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
by Joe Gould @ Outside the Wire blog

Soldiers may find themselves washing windows, cutting grass, manning post gatehouses and doing other dirty jobs they haven’t performed in a generation, under the current budget crunch, according to a top Army official. As civlians are laid off or furloughed, the Army will have soldiers do their jobs, providing them with less training and fewer […]

For some reason, the link to Army Times doesn't work. But, Ohmahgawd – having to do KP and grounds maintenance? How can we possibly expect our troops to do such things? Or Horror!!!

:cuckoo:

You mean they weren't doing those things? When I was in the Marine Corps just 10 years ago those were considered standard duties. Especially for people who came back from the brig. They would be put on lawn duty, or headquarters cleanup, or something
like that.

Isn't that what democrats wanted all along, a reduction in our defenses?

I'm more worried the way republicans are reducing our defense. Sending 5,000 troops to their death for nothing and wasting trillions of dollars can really put a damper on our defense.

You mean they weren't doing those things? When I was in the Marine Corps just 10 years ago those were considered standard duties. Especially for people who came back from the brig. They would be put on lawn duty, or headquarters cleanup, or something
like that.
Ha!

In basic my husband used to love lawn duty. He said he got to be outside with little supervision and listen to his IPod.

Sadly, the military is going to have to accept what ALL government employees have had to accept; the messsage from the taxpayers: "DO MORE WITH LESS".

In the end, the right wing will oppose EVERY element of government. They turned on cops arond 2010, which I never thought would happen. The military is the last resort. But, if it comes down to the rich paying higher taxes, or, military budget cuts......make no doubt, the right wing WILL sell out the military to keep those taxes from rising on the rich.

All you military guys beware. The right wing praises and adores the military. And rightfully so, we all should be so thankful to the troops. BUT, they will turn on you guys when it comes to crunch time for the beloved dollar.

Forum List

Back