Understanding Social Security - No, it's not your money

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Imagine that one of your ancestors devised a plan - let's say in the 1930's - where all of the working family members would contribute a percentage of their incomes to a family retirement trust fund. The workers paid in, and the ones who were retired got paid.

They hired a team of Account Managers to make sure the fund remained solvent, paying the retirees an amount that the fund could afford, based on current and projected revenues from living and future family members. But being very conservative in their approach, they told the trustees that the money COULD NOT BE INVESTED. Just put it into a non-interest bearing account and leave it. The trustees recalculated everything every couple years to make sure the fund remained solvent, considering the number of workers, retirees, and the amount coming in. Each of the retirees got their share of the revenues that were coming in.

But you happened to be in a generation that had more kids than anyone ever anticipated, and when you were in your peak earning years, the trustees went crazy with the abundance of cash, increasing the amount of the pension payments in unprecedented percentages. They were so flush with money that they decided that they would pay pensions not only to retired family members, but members would could not work, for one reason or another. And they promised that no one's pension would ever be reduced, for as long as they live.

As a member of that generation, you questioned the trustees, asking whether they were paying out too much, considering that your generation was going to be retiring one day, and that money would be needed then. But the trustees said, Don't worry. And besides, today's retirees are thrilled with what they are getting. It is much more than they ever paid in, and they love it!

So you generation is now retiring in large numbers and you are told that the trust funds might run dry. You say, "But that's my money!" (It won't run dry, of course. In the worst case, pension payments will just be limited to the amount coming in, which would reduce those payments by about 20%).

So, no, it's not your money that you are drawing as a pension. Your money was paid out decades ago; the fund now requires NEW money from the generations that are working now. You selfish bastards limited your families to one or two kids so you could live lavishly on your two incomes, and now you pay the price. There aren't enough people paying into the family retirement fund. Your kids are going to have to work longer and pay more to fund your retirement, so quit bad-mouthing the little bastards. They are supporting you.

And that's how Social Security works. Quit saying that it's your money and you earned your retirement. Your money is gone, and you are responsible for your own retirement. Be thankful that you are being supplemented by your kids and grandkids, who have no choice in the matter.

Imagine that one of your ancestors devised a plan - let's say in the 1930's - where all of the working family members would contribute a percentage of their incomes to a family retirement trust fund. The workers paid in, and the ones who were retired got paid.

They hired a team of Account Managers to make sure the fund remained solvent, paying the retirees an amount that the fund could afford, based on current and projected revenues from living and future family members. But being very conservative in their approach, they told the trustees that the money COULD NOT BE INVESTED. Just put it into a non-interest bearing account and leave it. The trustees recalculated everything every couple years to make sure the fund remained solvent, considering the number of workers, retirees, and the amount coming in. Each of the retirees got their share of the revenues that were coming in.

But you happened to be in a generation that had more kids than anyone ever anticipated, and when you were in your peak earning years, the trustees went crazy with the abundance of cash, increasing the amount of the pension payments in unprecedented percentages. They were so flush with money that they decided that they would pay pensions not only to retired family members, but members would could not work, for one reason or another. And they promised that no one's pension would ever be reduced, for as long as they live.

As a member of that generation, you questioned the trustees, asking whether they were paying out too much, considering that your generation was going to be retiring one day, and that money would be needed then. But the trustees said, Don't worry. And besides, today's retirees are thrilled with what they are getting. It is much more than they ever paid in, and they love it!

So you generation is now retiring in large numbers and you are told that the trust funds might run dry. You say, "But that's my money!" (It won't run dry, of course. In the worst case, pension payments will just be limited to the amount coming in, which would reduce those payments by about 20%).

So, no, it's not your money that you are drawing as a pension. Your money was paid out decades ago; the fund now requires NEW money from the generations that are working now. You selfish bastards limited your families to one or two kids so you could live lavishly on your two incomes, and now you pay the price. There aren't enough people paying into the family retirement fund. Your kids are going to have to work longer and pay more to fund your retirement, so quit bad-mouthing the little bastards. They are supporting you.

And that's how Social Security works. Quit saying that it's your money and you earned your retirement. Your money is gone, and you are responsible for your own retirement. Be thankful that you are being supplemented by your kids and grandkids, who have no choice in the matter.
It's a great system while it lasts. :)

I don't know where the OP is getting his story, but it's not accurate.

When Social Security was revamped under Reagan in 1986, the retirement age and FICA contributions were both increased. The Trust fund ran a large surplus until about 2012, and accumulated more than $4 Trillion in excess of what was being paid out to retirees.

The Trust fund is, and has always "invested" in Treasuries (which are currently drawing 4% interest).

The retirement of boomers was funded by boomers who paid in for 40 years and built that surplus.

The fact that the Congress spends the FICA revenues as part of the Federal budget is not the fault of the retirees...

The government buying government bonds is not "investment." It is financial masturbation. Who pays the interest? The same taxpayers who pay the FICA taxes.

It's not your money only in one sense. You did earn it by contributing all those years. Now it's your turn to collect. Great system.

The government buying government bonds is not "investment." It is financial masturbation. Who pays the interest? The same taxpayers who pay the FICA taxes.
Those who pay the interest are also the beneficiaries of the programs those borrowed funds support, like new roads and other infrastructure for example. Or rationalize the programs that you like.

Imagine that one of your ancestors devised a plan - let's say in the 1930's - where all of the working family members would contribute a percentage of their incomes to a family retirement trust fund. The workers paid in, and the ones who were retired got paid...
I would want to go back in time and shoot that motherfucker in the head.

It should be invested in US Equities, end of story

It has always been a huge transfer program....There was never any "trust fund"....It has been a lie from the jump.

Those who pay the interest are also the beneficiaries of the programs those borrowed funds support, like new roads and other infrastructure for example. Or rationalize the programs that you like.
IOW, the entire program is a lie.

photo-1649948338104-35c6078ace41

IOW, the entire program is a lie.

photo-1649948338104-35c6078ace41
Most of those tax funded programs promote the general welfare. Left up to most taxpayers we would still be driving on dirt roads. The problem is general inefficiency inherent in such programs. Watch any big construction project. Workers are either leaning on their shovels, walking around in slow motion, or waiting for the crew ahead to finish their tasks.

Last edited:
Most of those tax funded programs promote the general welfare. Left up to most taxpayers we would still be driving on dirt roads. The problem is general inefficiency inherent in such programs. Watch any big construction project. Workers are either leaning on their shovels, walking around in slow motion, or waiting for the crew ahead to finish their tasks.
FWIW, I recently suffered through an 18-month road improvement project on an artery that I must go through in the course of my volunteer work. While I hated it, it appeared to be the most efficient public sector construction project I've ever seen. I never saw anyone standing around; I could see progress every week (I only drive on Tuesdays), and the end result was just what was promised and it's working out great. It's rare but it does happen.

FWIW, I recently suffered through an 18-month road improvement project on an artery that I must go through in the course of my volunteer work. While I hated it, it appeared to be the most efficient public sector construction project I've ever seen. I never saw anyone standing around; I could see progress every week (I only drive on Tuesdays), and the end result was just what was promised and it's working out great. It's rare but it does happen.
Road projects are a nightmare while under construction, but the results are amazing.

Forum List

Back