Understanding The Origins of Environmentalism

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
The American Indian, the Native American....we have much to learn from this noble caretaker of
"the forest primeval. The murmuring pines and the hemlocks,
Bearded with moss, and in garments green, indistinct in the twilight,..."
Longfellow.

1. In 1854, the chief of the Puget Sound tribes of the Pacific Northwest......Chief Seattle, spoke these words, words that inspire the environmental movement today:

a. " Yonder sky that has wept tears of compassion upon my people for centuries untold, and which to us appears changeless and eternal, may change.... To us the ashes of our ancestors are sacred and their resting place is hallowed ground... Our dead never forget this beautiful world that gave them being. They still love its verdant valleys, its murmuring rivers, its magnificent mountains, sequestered vales and verdant lined lakes and bays,... Every part of this soil is sacred in the estimation of my people. Every hillside, every valley, every plain and grove, has been hallowed..." Chief Seattle s Speech of 1854 - Version 1

b. " ...never forget this beautiful earth, for it is the mother of the red man. We are part of the earth and it is part of us. The perfumed flowers are our sisters; the deer, the horse, the great eagle, these are our brothers. The rocky crests, the juices in the meadows, the body heat of the pony, and man--all belong to the same family..... This shining water that moves in the streams and rivers is not just water but the blood of our ancestors.... The water's murmur is the voice of my father's father. The rivers are our brothers, they quench our thirst. The rivers carry our canoes, and feed our children.

...you must henceforth give the rivers the kindness you would give any brother. We know that the white man does not understand our ways. One portion of land is the same to him as the next, for he is a stranger who comes in the night and takes from the land whatever he needs.

The earth is not his brother, but his enemy, and when he has conquered it, he moves on. He leaves his father's graves behind, and he does not care. He kidnaps the earth from his children, and he does not care.
He treats his mother, the earth, and his brother, the sky, as things to be bought, plundered, sold like sheep or bright beads.
His appetite will devour the earth and leave behind only a desert." Australia by Holden Friday night beers--revisited.

What cold heart can read those words, and not heed the words of this wise soldier for the earth?

Excelsior!

Onward and upward, Greenists!

I don't know about other folks that might call themselves environmentalists, but those words you claim inspire the environmental movement today are completely new to me.

The question that comes to my mind, however, is what cold heart can read those words and believe they are the work of an ignorant, misguided enemy; as do you.

I don't know about other folks that might call themselves environmentalists, but those words you claim inspire the environmental movement today are completely new to me.

The question that comes to my mind, however, is what cold heart can read those words and believe they are the work of an ignorant, misguided enemy; as do you.

"...those words you claim inspire the environmental movement today are completely new to me."

Nothing better for the Left than the uninformed.

"The question that comes to my mind, however, is what cold heart can read those words and believe they are the work of an ignorant, misguided enemy; as do you."
Let's keep those words front and center.
If you follow this thread to the end, you'll be begging to retract them.

Watch.

The Chief Seattle speech is famous in the halls of environmentalism.

So glad that you find it inspiring, heart warming.

Let's consider it's importance in terms of the movement.

2. And so begins the tale that the American Indians were the early environmentalists, natural conservationists who lived in harmony with nature.

Of course, there is hardly any basis for said belief, and, in fact, plenty of evidence to the contrary.
To begin with, the folks who advance the tales have no way to prove the tales via literature, as the Indians produced none.

What is to be learned in this thread is the nature of " the gullibility and mendacity of the greens and their allies in the media"....and your post is exactly the sort of testimony that I had hoped for.

3. Chief Seattle's speech is the one document that is the mother of the propaganda....the 1854 speech of the chief of the Puget Sound tribes of the Pacific Northwest......Chief Seattle.

Chief Seattle, the eponymous name of one of the most Liberal cities in the nation...and fitting that is....famous for two things:

a. "... he pursued a path of accommodation to white settlers..." Chief Seattle - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

b. "A widely publicized speech arguing in favor of ecological responsibility ..." Ibid.

4. "Chief Seattle’s speech has been quoted and published by environmentalist groups around the world as part of their campaign to persuade us that native peoples know something about protecting the environment which we don’t."
"Wild in Woods: The Myth of the Noble Eco-Savage," by Robert Whelan, p. 43

5. Here are some more quotes from the great chief's speech:

a. " We are part of the earth and it is part of us. The perfumed flowers are our sisters; the deer, the horse, the great eagle, these are our brothers. The rocky crests, the juices in the meadows, the body heat of the pony, and man―all belong to the same family.... The rivers are our brothers, they quench our thirst. The rivers carry our canoes, and feed our children.... The earth does not belong to man; man belongs to the earth. This we know. All things are connected like the blood which unites one family. All things are connected.... Man did not weave the web of life; he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself."
Center for the Study of the Pacific Northwest

Not to be moved by this would be heartless, or one made of stone. There is no disputing the evangelism of same.

The problem is with the speech as an historical document: it is entirely bogus.

Do you actually expect us to believe that you will provide us objective and accurate information about the environmental movement (and since these are American aborigines you're badmouthing, that would only be the American environmental movement) from a work titled "The Myth of the Noble Eco-Savage"? Give us a fooking break.

Do you actually expect us to believe that you will provide us objective and accurate information about the environmental movement (and since these are American aborigines you're badmouthing, that would only be the American environmental movement) from a work titled "The Myth of the Noble Eco-Savage"? Give us a fooking break.

I love it!

I was sooooo hoping for a post like yours.

Know why?
The "speech" is entirely made up propaganda....

6. " The version of the speech quoted above and so loved and reprinted by environmentalists was written in 1972 by Ted Perry for a film called 'Home,' being produced by the Southern Baptist Radio and Television Commission.

In the film (which I have not seen) the words were apparently read as if they were a letter from Seattle to President Pierce. This mis-attribution and many copies of the text of the Perry speech are available on the web (3).

Perry was writing an entirely fictional speech and did not intend for the words to be attributed to Seattle rather than to the Seattle character in the film, but the film's producers failed to mention Perry's authorship in the credits (7). Thus, the legend was born."
All things are connected

6. " But when the film aired on ABC in 1972, the producer had given Perry no on-screen credit. Perry protested; the producer said the words sounded "more authentic" presented as Chief Seattle's.

Since then, to his great embarrassment, Perry has seen the speech quoted by Joseph Campbell, Buckminster Fuller and hundreds of lesser-known people like you and me. It's been used in songs, oratorios, even on zoo cages." Chief Seattle s Screenwriter Ann Medlock

Sucker.

I used the apocryphal speech of Chief Seattle as a teachable moment....to show the mendacity of the Left.

After all, what is 'environmentalism' but one more iteration of Marxism masquerading as science.

To understand the use of lies, myths, and misdirection by the Leftists, study the element left out of government schooling: the influence of Georges Sorel, the theoretician of Leftism.

7. While it is probable that every political view has used lies to advance their agenda, the Left has made a science of it!

a. Georges Eugène Sorel (2 November 1847 in Cherbourg – 29 August 1922 in Boulogne-sur-Seine) was a French philosopher and theorist of revolutionary syndicalism. His notion of the power of myth in people's lives inspired Marxists and Fascists, it is, together with his defense of violence, the contribution for which he is most often remembered.
Georges Sorel - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

b. His identification of the need for a deliberately-conceived "myth" to sway crowds into concerted action was put to use by the Fascist and Communist movements of the 1920s and after.
http://homepage.newschool.edu/het//profiles/sorel.htm

c. In his best-known work, Reflections on Violence (1908, tr. 1912), which became the basic text of syndicalism, Sorel expounded his theory of "violence" as the creative power of the proletariat that could overcome "force," the coercive economic power of the bourgeoisie. He supported belief in myths about future social developments, arguing that such belief promoted social progress. Georges Sorel Facts information pictures Encyclopedia.com articles about Georges Sorel

Bear in mind that Obama studied and taught postmodernism, the idea that truth doesn't matter.

8. "According to an account of the l’affaire Seattle which appeared in The Readers’ Digest, Perry tried to alert people to the modern nature of the text when he found that it was being promoted as an example of ancient tribal wisdom, but gave up when he realised that it had acquired a life of its own.

The speech was turned into one of the most successful environmental books for children, "Brother Eagle, Sister Sky: A Message from Chief Seattle." It sold hundreds of thousands of copies in Britain and the USA,..."
Whelan, Op. Cit., p. 43

A children's book. Appropriate...as it is children who still believe the mythology of 'the Noble Savage.'

Let's review:
a. Chief Seattle's 'speech' espousing the aims of the environmental movement was a fabrication.
b. It has been advanced to promote the idea that the 'noble savage' supported and loved nature and the environment.
c. It indicts the white as the true savage, and, at the same time, attacks capitalism.

d. Simpletons buy this stuff like it was on sale.

What is it about this forum that draws such idiots?

Very good question. I think the OP should read the book that actually started the modern environmental movement (Silent Spring, by Rachael Carson).

PoliticalShit reads nothing but creationist and farrightwingnut idiocy. She has never read a real science book in her life.

Only the hopelessly duped dont get that the whole "global warming" scam never was about science in the first place. Its always been a political agenda. It is a cornerstone for the progressives to achieve their agenda, and I must admit, a brilliant one at that.

The hope however was to impact the fossil fuel industry and ultimately shut it down via taxes and regulation...........force businesses to pay for mega-expensive green energy and you collapse the whole damn system.

Not working though..........not even close:up:...............after 20+ years of falling all over themselves trying to make this happen, world governments dont give a flying fuck about climate change. They want to provide their peoples with cheap, dependable energy!! Of course.........or else, theyd get their asses handed to them at the ballot boxes.:slap:

I continue to be fascinated about how much time and energy these people waste every day on here............like a midget spending hours and hours on a basketball court trying to stuff a basketball!!:rock:

Only the hopelessly duped dont get that the whole "global warming" scam never was about science in the first place. Its always been a political agenda. It is a cornerstone for the progressives to achieve their agenda, and I must admit, a brilliant one at that.

The hope however was to impact the fossil fuel industry and ultimately shut it down via taxes and regulation...........force businesses to pay for mega-expensive green energy and you collapse the whole damn system.

Not working though..........not even close:up:...............after 20+ years of falling all over themselves trying to make this happen, world governments dont give a flying fuck about climate change. They want to provide their peoples with cheap, dependable energy!! Of course.........or else, theyd get their asses handed to them at the ballot boxes.:slap:

I continue to be fascinated about how much time and energy these people waste every day on here............like a midget spending hours and hours on a basketball court trying to stuff a basketball!!:rock:

If you believe all that, I have a bridge I can sell you. Here, take a look:

brooklyn-bridge-sale.jpg

brooklyn-bridge-sale.jpg

I actually own all the bridges in here s0n!!

Climate science is having zero impact in the real world.......the owner of the bridges is very happy!!

By the way Orangeman.....did you happen to notice how your candidates on election night......the ones that ran on an environmentalist agenda?

They got their fucking clocks cleaned!!!!:boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::fu:

brooklyn-bridge-sale.jpg

I actually own all the bridges in here s0n!!

I can believe that.

skookerasbil said:
Climate science is having zero impact in the real world.......the owner of the bridges is very happy!!

By the way Orangeman.....did you happen to notice how your candidates on election night......the ones that ran on an environmentalist agenda?

They got their fucking clocks cleaned!!!!:boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::fu:

Did you notice that climate science was hardly even discussed by either side in the election? Of course you didn't. You were too busy getting quotes on the bridges you were buying. Oh dear.

Very good question. I think the OP should read the book that actually started the modern environmental movement (Silent Spring, by Rachael Carson).

Actually, I have read the tome.

Everyone knows that Carson was as full of it as you are, you moron.
She was a danger to society....at least intelligent folks ignore you.

1. . British politician Dick Taverne was damning in his criticism of Carson:
Carson didn't seem to take into accountthe vital role (DDT) played in controlling the transmission of malaria by killing the mosquitoes that carry the parasite (...) It is the single most effective agent ever developed for saving human life (...)

Rachel Carson is a warning to us all of the dangers of neglecting the evidence-based approachand the need to weight potential risk against benefit: it can be argued that the anti-DDT campaign she inspired was responsible for almost as many deaths as some of the worst dictators of the last century.
Taverne, Dick (2005). "The Harm That Pressure Groups Can Do".
In Feldman, Stanley; Marks, Vincent. "Panic Nation."

a. Carson’s book was dismissed in ‘Science’ magazineas a “prosecuting attorney’s impassioned plea for action,” not a book based on scientific data.
I.L.Baldwin, “Chemicals and Pests,” Science, September 28, 1962, p.1042-1043.

Again? "...not a book based on scientific data."

b. “Sixty million people have died needlessly of malaria, since the imposition of the 1972 ban on DDT, and hundreds of millions more have suffered from this debilitating disease. The majority of those affected are children.”Bring Back DDT!

2. At it's heart, environmentalist is anti-human being. It sees humans as a virus, to be controlled and eradicated.
"Banning DDT saved thousands of raptors over the past 30 years, but outright bans and misguided fears about the pesticide cost the lives of millions of people who died of insect-borne diseases like malaria. The 500 million people who come down with malaria every year might well wonder what authoritarian made that decision." http://reason.com/archives/2004/01/07/ddt-eggshells-and-me/1

3. . “According to Marjorie Mazel Hecht and [San Jose State University] professor J. Gordon Edwards at 21st Century Home Page DDT is safe and indeed saved and can save human lives, and Rachel Carson's Silent Spring is full of lies. According to them, the banning of DDT was politically motivated and went against the majority of scientific opinion…. No one has conclusively proved that DDT can give you cancer.” The Straight Dope Was Rachel Carson a fraud and is DDT actually safe for humans

Last edited:
I'm sorry Stephanie, but if we're sad, it's in response to your severe and seemingly willful ignorance.

Well...go ahead: explain what brought you here.

Maybe the desire for truth?

Here's more of it:

The Chief Seattle speech is so sadly counterfeit, that it should obvious to even the most brain dead 'environmentalists.

But...the ragingly obvious errors in it are almost funny.

9. We hear Seattle say this: ‘What is there to life if you cannot hear the lonely cry of the whippoorwill?’

"He laments losing "the lonely cry of the whippoorwill," even
though no whippoorwills live within a thousand miles of his home area." http://forestpolicy.typepad.com/ecowatch/ew920221.htm

But it brought a tear to your eye, huh?

10. Then the racist environmentalist supposedly says:

" We know that the white man does not understand our ways. One portion of land is the same to him as the next, for he is a stranger who comes in the night and takes from the land whatever he needs. The earth is not his brother, but his enemy, and when he has conquered it, he moves on. He leaves his father's grave behind, and he does not care.
He kidnaps the earth from his children, and he does not care. His father's grave, and his children's birthright are forgotten. He treats his mother, the earth, and his brother, the sky, as things to be bought, plundered, sold like sheep or bright beads. His appetite will devour the earth and leave behind only a desert."
Chief Seattle s Words to President Franklin Roosevelt

See the gaffe???

" And so it goes. Seattle supposedly complains about the white man
devouring the Earth and leaving behind "only desert," even though he had never seen a desert."
http://forestpolicy.typepad.com/ecowatch/ew920221.htm

Environmentalists: dupes of the first order!

Forum List

Back