Union Boss salaries- They have a lot in common with the people they represent

Nobody I know is doing better than their parents, dumbass. That's the point.

This is what 30 years of war on working folks have brought us.

A hollowed out middle class...

You mustn't know many people then.

And you took a shot at PC for not having any friends. Tsk, tsk.

Wow, stalking me on other threads... you know the neighbors are complaining about the tissues you keep leaving in their bushes.

I know a lot of people. Nearly all of them say the same thing... More debt, less oppurtunity. Don't know if they will ever get their kids into college.

And frankly, I'm not a young guy. I see the generation that is following mine having an even harder time of it.

I remember everyone saying the same thing to me in the early 90s when I started looking for work. The 1990s boomed. Which were a time, BTW, of declining union membership.

Nonetheless, your claim that living standards are the same as they were in 1980 for the middle class is simply flat out wrong.

I am squarely middle class--well probably more on the low end of middle class--and I have had jobs I loved, jobs I hated, have earned wages that I thought were not commensurate with my abilities and contributions to a company, but I've never earned less than I agreed to work for. Because I chose to accept a crappy job when nothing else was available, was not the fault of the system. But we have also been willing to change jobs when we needed to and were able to, to move when we needed to in order to better our position, and we both have always given better than what our jobs required of us which has allowed us to move up to better circumstances.

Unlike what the union mentality would have us believe, most Americans willingh to work for what they receive and willing to do what they need to do to get ahead, are doing pretty well. Those stuck in the "I deserve more of what you have" mentality very often don't prosper as well because it shows up in their work ethic, their atttitude, and their outlook on life in general.

Oh, please, I'm probably better educated and make more money than you do, and frankly, it's still unacceptable.

If you want to suffer from Stoklholm Syndrome and sympathize with your abusers, go right ahead. I think it's a bit pathetic and sad.

You saying the purchasing power has increased is flat out wrong, Toro. Your own graphs proves your lie.

I remember everyone saying the same thing to me in the early 90s when I started looking for work. The 1990s boomed. Which were a time, BTW, of declining union membership.

Nonetheless, your claim that living standards are the same as they were in 1980 for the middle class is simply flat out wrong.

I wasn't talking about LIVING STANDARDS, you dumbass. I was talking about real wages.

Purchasing Power, which Jake has been cleaning the floor with you on.

Yes, we had a slight uptick during the 1990's after declines in the 70's and the 80's being flat before "Supply Side" took a big dump on the middle class during the Oughts..

(As in "we Ought to have been looking out for our own people")

I am squarely middle class--well probably more on the low end of middle class--and I have had jobs I loved, jobs I hated, have earned wages that I thought were not commensurate with my abilities and contributions to a company, but I've never earned less than I agreed to work for. Because I chose to accept a crappy job when nothing else was available, was not the fault of the system. But we have also been willing to change jobs when we needed to and were able to, to move when we needed to in order to better our position, and we both have always given better than what our jobs required of us which has allowed us to move up to better circumstances.

Unlike what the union mentality would have us believe, most Americans willingh to work for what they receive and willing to do what they need to do to get ahead, are doing pretty well. Those stuck in the "I deserve more of what you have" mentality very often don't prosper as well because it shows up in their work ethic, their atttitude, and their outlook on life in general.

Oh, please, I'm probably better educated and make more money than you do, and frankly, it's still unacceptable.

If you want to suffer from Stoklholm Syndrome and sympathize with your abusers, go right ahead. I think it's a bit pathetic and sad.

I don't tolerate abuse at all, I don't have a clue which of us is better educated, and you almost certainly make more money than I do since we have retired. Stockholm syndrome? Hardly. The reason we chose to go into business for ourselves some years ago was because hubby was burned out in his profession and I was working for a grade A asshole who was making my life miserable despite the fact that because I was working on straight commission, and was willing to work weekend and sometimes 12 to 16 hr days, I was earning more than he was. Making really good money in fact.

But the difference between you and me is that I don't see myself as being entitled to what somebody else earns. Nor do I begrudge those who earn great money. I expect what I contract with an employer to pay. No more no less. If I feel that my work in undervalued, I sell my labor to somebody else. It is as simple as that.

I don't tolerate abuse at all, I don't have a clue which of us is better educated, and you almost certainly make more money than I do since we have retired. Stockholm syndrome? Hardly. The reason we chose to go into business for ourselves some years ago was because hubby was burned out in his profession and I was working for a grade A asshole who was making my life miserable despite the fact that because I was working on straight commission, and was willing to work weekend and sometimes 12 to 16 hr days, I was earning more than he was. Making really good money in fact.

But the difference between you and me is that I don't see myself as being entitled to what somebody else earns. Nor do I begrudge those who earn great money. I expect what I contract with an employer to pay. No more no less. If I feel that my work in undervalued, I sell my labor to somebody else. It is as simple as that.

I have some silly idea that if I don't lie to or cheat my employer, he owes me the same courtesy.

Sadly, haven't worked for that employer yet...

But your oh so fine with the ones that do because, hey, you were a boss once and god knows what your employees would say about you if we heard their side of the story.

I have some silly idea that if I don't lie to or cheat my employer, he owes me the same courtesy.

Sadly, haven't worked for that employer yet...

But your oh so fine with the ones that do because, hey, you were a boss once and god knows what your employees would say about you if we heard their side of the story.

You are projecting Joe. You don't know me and you have no clue what I am fine with. And I don't care what my less-than-exemplary employees say about me because I sure as hell know what I would say about them. I have trained dozens of people, given them opportunity to acquire skills and good references, and then gave them my blessings and encouragement when they were able to move on into better circumstances than I could offer them. I don't lie intentionally to anybody, but I will not offer more in salary or benefits than I can afford and still make a good living for myself. Nor do I feel I am entitled to any particular salary, wage, or contract with an employer or client. Whether I am in the market for an employee or contractor or whether I am looking to sell my labor, If I can't negotiate conditions satisfactory to me, we don't do business.

I do not expect anybody to be obligated to give me anything other than what we agree to when I go to work.

If you choose to work for an asshole, that is your prerogative. But don't accuse ME of buying into the Stockholm syndrome. If you don't like your boss or don't enjoy your work, then do something else. But don't blame the system. And don't try to tell me that you are entitled to anything I or anybody else earn.

I'm not projecting any more than you are.

Incidently, I have no prolbem with my current boss, who isn't a bad guy. It was the last one who convinced me that this Republican shit of worshiping greed is just the wrong way to go as a country. Fellow made me wait a month for an operation because we were going through a critical project, and he couldn't spare me for a day for an outpatient procedure. (It was purely a power trip thing for him, the stuff he could get away with now that the economy was going bad.)

Fact is, we need unions because people like that asshole always seem to find their way into management.

Incidently, he also thought Mitt Romney would be a wonderful president. Figures.

I wasn't talking about LIVING STANDARDS, you dumbass. I was talking about real wages.

Real income has risen since 1970, 1980 and 1990. That is what I posted. What you posted at the beginning of this thread I confirmed but explained why using Households skews the data to look like income has not risen as fast as it has.

You nor Jake understand what purchasing power is in the context of real wages. I have discovered that Jake isn't very bright. You might be a bigoted thug but you're not an idiot. You might want to think again before tossing your hat into the ring with him regarding empirical data he doesn't understand.

Real income has risen since 1970, 1980 and 1990. That is what I posted. What you posted at the beginning of this thread I confirmed but explained why using Households skews the data to look like income has not risen as fast as it has.

You nor Jake understand what purchasing power is in the context of real wages. I have discovered that Jake isn't very bright. You might be a bigoted thug but you're not an idiot. You might want to think again before tossing your hat into the ring with him regarding empirical data he doesn't understand.

Guy, I understand it very well.

I understand that I don't have the purchasing power I had when I was a Staff Sergeant in the Army or what my father had.

And it's pretty much true for everyone I know.

You saying the purchasing power has increased is flat out wrong, Toro. Your own graphs proves your lie.

In our conversation, I have discovered you don't understand what you are talking about. Here is why.

- You didn't understand the meaning of purchasing power yet you continue to argue
- You didn't realize that you posted the same graph I did, except the data went out another 4 years
- I have posted multiple times that incomes have risen since 1970, 1980 and 1990. The graph you posted confirms that.
- You asked for a graph that I already posted, and that I not explain it.
- You apparently don't understand the concept of "households" and "per capita."

I can only conclude you aren't very sharp.

Nothing personal.

I understand that I don't have the purchasing power I had when I was a Staff Sergeant in the Army or what my father had.

It's not true for everyone even if it is true for everyone you know.

In our conversation, I have discovered you don't understand what you are talking about. Here is why.

- You didn't understand the meaning of purchasing power yet you continue to argue
- You didn't realize that you posted the same graph I did, except the data went out another 4 years
- I have posted multiple times that incomes have risen since 1970, 1980 and 1990. The graph you posted confirms that.
- You asked for a graph that I already posted, and that I not explain it.
- You apparently don't understand the concept of "households" and "per capita."

I can only conclude you aren't very sharp.

Nothing personal.

Why has it taken you this long? He is known as "JokeStarkey" around here for a reason. And he is "King of the Unsubstantiated Statement."

ToroDoosh, finally, admits that purchasing power is a factor, an important one.

Hey doosh boy, go back and look at the chart and tell us how many Americans have less purchasing power.

I would say I represent a better slice of Middle America than you do.

And I live in Chicago. We've actually done pretty well compared to the rest of the Midwest.

Went to Cleveland a couple months ago, and man, was that depressing as shit.

And I live in Chicago. We've actually done pretty well compared to the rest of the Midwest.

It isn't a question of who represents the middle class. It is a question of what the stats say.

And the middle class of this country does not consist of pathetic high school drop out losers like you.

It isn't a question of who represents the middle class. It is a question of what the stats say.

And the middle class of this country does not consist of pathetic high school drop out losers like you.

Sorry, Clem, I'm College educated and a veteran... and I'm still struggling in this wonderful economy the Plutocrats have brought us...

Now go back to your double wide and get your shinebox...

The Rabbi cheerfully ignores the chart, so he is a doosh fuck now as well as a dumb fuck.

If you are in manufacturing, and your world is manufacturing, you're probably going to think that the world around you is bad because manufacturing employment has been in decline for the past 10, 20, 30 years. The days of the high school dropout who can spend a lifetime in a factory and make a good living are over. But even though manufacturing output continues to rise, manufacturing employment only accounts for ~10% of all the jobs in this country.

Now if you are educated and you work in information technology or healthcare, you are probably making a much better living. Yes, Cleveland sucks, so go to San Mateo and see the future. Knowledge industries are where the growth will be. Manufacturing not so much.

Actually, I'm not even sure if that's the case. You might see a renaissance in manufacturing. Cost pressures are rising in China, and with fracking unlocking an ocean of gas, we may see manufacturing jobs start growing again. But nonetheless, more jobs will be created in knowledge industries than in manufacturing. A quarter of all jobs created in the economy since 1970 are in industries that did not even exist 40 years ago. That will continue.

Toro is no longer defending that America's middle is doing "great". Like Toro is now a new version of Tony the Tiger. Jesus, Joseph, and Mary.

Forum List

Back