Unpatriotic Dems In Virginia Erases Confederate Holiday

Just because celebrating Confederate holidays is ending does not mean an end to Southern heritage.

Southerners can continue to....

1. Marry their cousins
2. Eat road kill
3. Have sex with farm animals

You're talking about "liberalism". I don't think South prefers that flavor.

Just discussing Southern Heritage

Democrat's heritage.

There wasn't a lot of Republicans in the South, so those Democrats were Southerners were they not?

I would rather say that those Southerners were Democrats. And they were doing everything to prevent Republican influence in South.

Ronald Reagan and if we are using that analogy, who signed the CRA and the VRA?

That's exactly what I was aiming at. When you look who voted against CRA, how can you take a credit for Johnson signing it, when even he was against CRA for decades? Democrats like to take credit for things they haven't done, and blame others for things they've done.

If you can give credit to Johnson for signing CRA, then at least you should give credit to Reagan for signing CLA of 1988.

While we're at it, maybe we should give credits to Democrats for voting, signing and enforcing segregation, Jim Crow laws, Lynching laws... you know, give credits when credits are due.
The CRA act would not have passed without LBJ

I doubt if JFK could have gotten as strong a bill

Correct. He convinced jest enough racist Southern Democrats to vote for it, in order to "have blacks voting for Democrats next 200 years".

He offered essentially the same bill he voted against few years earlier.

That's another fake quote.
In fact blacks had already been voting Democratic. Since the 1930s before LBJ ever ran for office. And we covered that, profusely, when we broke down the infamous "party switch" canard.

We?

You lefties claim there was a "party switch" in 60's, but always failed to prove that "party switch" aver happened. In fact, since you said it yourself, blacks have been "already" voting for Democrats since "New Deal", the "party switch" of the 60's is a myth.

How's that list coming? You almost completed it.

Actually it's not. Most racist republicans used to be Democrats. Thurmond, Lott, Helms, Trump,

Put it this way; for the sake of argument, let's say US wants to admit Puerto Rico as 51st state. And although rape in US is illegal, under "popular sovereignty" doctrine, we gonna let Puerto Rico to decide if they want to allow rape to be legal in their state. Hey, it's their business, right?

Uhm, no. Those who are anti-rape, will not allow them to join the Union. And those who would let them decide about rape being legal... they're not really against rape, are they?

Bad analogy. Rape is not only already illegal in Puerto Rico, as it should be, but clearly an act of violence that was never legal anywhere. Popular Sovereignty meant something like what happened in Bleeding Kansas. It was obviously a bad idea simply because of the lengths the partisans would go to, as demonstrated. Kansas showed that leaving it up to the states wasn't going to work and stronger federal law would have to be applied to the question. Kansas in fact represented a microcosm of the War that followed it, and should have served as a warning. The Democrats' fault was in holding too fast to the position of smaller central government and "states' rights". That's (again) why Buchanan couldn't stop the War --- he was conservatively mired in that "states rights" position and unwilling to expand the power of the federal government.

It's not bad analogy, but your bad reasoning.

I know rape is illegal in Puerto Rico, that's why I said "for the sake of argument, let's say..." If you're not able to process that little, why are we talking at all? What if we replace "rape" with let's say "abortion"? For the sake of argument let's say that Puerto Rico is joining US as 51st state and per your "popular sovereignty" doctrine wants to keep their criminal abortion statute that prohibits abortion for reasons other than protecting the woman’s life. That is clearly in conflict with Roe v Wade, but hey, it's their decision to make. Right? No, you lefties would beat them into submission to drop the statute before they get admitted to the Union.

So you adjusted your analogy to a better one and then undermined it with a speculation fallacy.

But just for the sake of describing what "popular sovereignty" means, which does not permit your conclusion leap, yes it could work that way. Given Roe v. Wade is the law of the land, the hypothetical PR law would have to go bye-bye as a condition of statehood, so if a "popular sovereignty" were in effect, PR could choose to keep its law, as could any other entering state. And that's a "states rights", small government position.

Any version of such a "popular sovereignty" does not, and can not, presume what the various states' individual decisions would be. There's no sure way to tell if a future Montana or a future Arizona was going to be sympathetic to Slavery or not, but given the trends of the time, with the peculiar institution going down all over the Americas and under fire from within the US, the pro-Slavery section (the South) saw its influence likely dwindling as those new states came in,, which is both why they rejected Douglas AND why they seceded to form their own country where they wouldn't lose that influence. For that matter it's why they also kicked the Democratic Party convention out of Charleston in 1860 because "popular sovereignty" just wasn't going to go far enough for their ambitions.

In other words "popular sovereignty" was a crapshoot, and the South didn't like their odds in it.

Analogy is the same, different issue. My point is still the same.

It doesn't matter what issue is, the "popular sovereignty" doctrine doesn't mean you are against the issue. If you are open to option of slavery, you are pro-slavery oriented. Northern Democrats were willing to accept slavery in new territories, that means they were open to slavery if new states choose so. Since they were not against slavery, as Republicans were, that means they were pro-slavery.

Nape. It doesn't. It means you're taking no position and are equally "open" (or noncommittal) either way. It means you're equally open to State X having no slavery as you are to State Y having it.

You're still mired in Binary Land, where everything must be a one or a zero. The world doesn't work like that.

Just because celebrating Confederate holidays is ending does not mean an end to Southern heritage.

1. Marry their cousins
2. Eat road kill

Democrat's heritage.

There wasn't a lot of Republicans in the South, so those Democrats were Southerners were they not?

I would rather say that those Southerners were Democrats. And they were doing everything to prevent Republican influence in South.

Those of us old enough to actually remember know that they were doing everything to prevent Liberalism in the South.

Last edited:
That's exactly what I was aiming at. When you look who voted against CRA, how can you take a credit for Johnson signing it, when even he was against CRA for decades? Democrats like to take credit for things they haven't done, and blame others for things they've done.

If you can give credit to Johnson for signing CRA, then at least you should give credit to Reagan for signing CLA of 1988.

While we're at it, maybe we should give credits to Democrats for voting, signing and enforcing segregation, Jim Crow laws, Lynching laws... you know, give credits when credits are due.

Correct. He convinced jest enough racist Southern Democrats to vote for it, in order to "have blacks voting for Democrats next 200 years".

Actually almost no Southern Democrats or Republicans voted for it

It was part of their racist culture

Actually more Southern Democrats than Southern Republicans voted for it I believe the Republican total was zero.

They like to ignore that distinction because it's buzzkill.

Yes, all 10 Republicans voted against it, yet you omitted Democrats votes.

Now, how many Democrats voted against it, give us a number.

You try and make it Democrat vs Republican. Every politician in the South voted against it.

1. Marry their cousins
2. Eat road kill

Democrat's heritage.

They were doing everything to prevent Northern influence in the South.

LOL!!! What kind of silly troll boy game you playing? THIS THREAD you drooling moron.

Every other group can celebrate any heroes or events, and you don't go over their heroes or events and hold them up to today's moral standards and judge them and then hold the modern people responsible for the full monty of their heroes or events.

you pick and choose who to do that to. And your different standards seems to be RACE based.

WHITES, get harsher standards then any else.

That makes you a racist.

Definitions here, Wanker:

"Racism" means the belief that one race is superior to another.

"Linky-link" means you need to show evidence of your ass-sertion.

NEITHER ONE GOT DONE.

I know, stop the presses right. Quelle surprise.

When you hold that one race is inferior to another, such as not deserving the same treatment as all other races, and groups,

then you are racist against that group.

As you have demonstrated by holding Whites to a higher standard, then any other group.

You are a racist.

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyeah if you could, you know, go ahead and QUOTE where I did that, that'd be great.

Cue crickets.

I pointed out when you did in this thread, again and again. If you managed to not see when I did it then, what point is there in you requesting me to show you again?

Oh, is this more of those weird troll games you've been playing?

Whatever. I don't care about your games.

THe point remains.

When you hold that one race is inferior to another, such as not deserving the same treatment as all other races, and groups,

As you have demonstrated by holding Whites to a higher standard, then any other group.

You are a racist.

So you have nothing.

What a surprise.

Yawn.

I pointed out when you did in this thread, again and again. If you managed to not see when I did it then, what point is there in you requesting me to show you again?

THe point remains.

You are a racist.

Correct. You do realize that what you said, does not conflict with what I said, right?
That is the complete opposite of your ridiculous claim that the nation was moving towards integration.......It wasn’t

If it was, returning black soldiers would have been treated as heroes instead of second class citizens

That the nation as a whole was moving towards more and more civil rights and equality for blacks, which is my position, is not refuted by the existence of some resistance, ie what you posted.

You are acting like you think it did.
I mean, am I being mean to you? Is there a reason that you are not up to normal functioning today? If so, let me know and I will make allowances.
Some resistance?

Like bombing churches, beating marchers in Selma, police dogs, fire hoses, beating Freedom Riders
All because people wanted to vote and be treated with dignity

Yes, some resistance. you want to try to post some more emotion triggering words and pictures to pretend that that refutes my point? (demagoguery)

The dems flipped on the issue because they were losing elections on the issue. Once they flipped on it, the racists lost any voice or representation in national policy from then forward. (at least the white anti-black racists)

You libs like to point to your former allies as representative of America, at least of that time.

Yet, they were being violent, because they had LOST, the policy battle, because the nation as a whole, was giving democratic support to the Republican led Equality Consensus.

That is my point. Would you like to address it, or would you like to just smear America some more, and pretend that is some how challenging my point, when it is not?

I'll address it, if I can get past the orgy of endless and pointless self-inflating carriage returns.........

The "dems [sic]" didn't "flip" on the issue unless you're referring to what other wanker posters insist on referring to as the "party switch", that period of the turn of the 19th/20th century when the two party largely and gradually traded (rather than "switched") their constituencies, That's when the Southern faction, already the redheaded stepchild in the party, began to lose its grip. That crack in effect began in 1936 when FDR, at the height of his power and influence, got the party convention rules changed for Presidential nomination from a two-thirds majority to a simple 51% majority. Under the previous rules the South was able to hold the convention hostage --- as it infamously did in 1924 --- in resisting liberal civil rights-friendly candidates, by denying that two-thirds threshold.

The Ku Klux Klan was doing its part too, a few years earlier in 1928 when it endorsed Herbert Hoover and ran a national smear campaign against Al Smith (because he was a Catholic), as seen here:

1928-presidential-election.png

Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Texas going from blue to red, and Alabama weak. The VP on the ticket was from Arkansas or it might have been worse for them. No doubt Roosevelt could smell the blood in the water.

In the first election year after WW2 had run its course, that Southern contingent, in an echo of 1860 Charleston, walked out of the convention upon hearing too much about "civil rights" from the incumbent Truman and the young mayor of Minneapolis Hubert Humphrey, and went to run their own campaign, even getting Truman kicked off the Democratic ballot where they could (in return Thurmond was kicked off his ballot when he then tried to run for Senator, ran as a write-in with no party, and won anyway).

1920s... 1930s... 1940s,

So those seeds were sown decades before the 1960s, during which time the South had been hanging on as the way-out right wing of the party, opposed to the thrust of the national party but loathe to join the "party of Lincoln", until the same renegade from 1948, Thurmond, took the plunge in 1964 So this is not a party "flipping' --- it's a batshit wing of a party flipping upon facing the reality that they'd been sitting in the wrong room and it was not going to get them anywhere.

Summa y'all still have yet to grok the distinction between ideologies and political parties.

That would be interesting historical detail on the process, if you had not so torpedoed your credibility that I can't trust anything you say.

Also, the republican party never wavered in it's support of equality and civil rights. The southern voters that more and more voted Republican were always the pro-civil rights voters of the South, until long after the issue had become politically moot.

Yes, some resistance. you want to try to post some more emotion triggering words and pictures to pretend that that refutes my point? (demagoguery)

The dems flipped on the issue because they were losing elections on the issue. Once they flipped on it, the racists lost any voice or representation in national policy from then forward. (at least the white anti-black racists)

You libs like to point to your former allies as representative of America, at least of that time.

Yet, they were being violent, because they had LOST, the policy battle, because the nation as a whole, was giving democratic support to the Republican led Equality Consensus.

That is my point. Would you like to address it, or would you like to just smear America some more, and pretend that is some how challenging my point, when it is not?
Some resistance?

The south declared all out war when asked to abandon segregation

No, it didn't. You are focusing on a few people, and using them to smear a vastly larger population.

Because you hate that population. Because you are a bigot.
Few people my ass. Whole communities fought against integration

Here they are screaming at a six year old black girl

ruby_bridges_3.jpg

A six year old black girl who needed federal marshals to protect her while she goes to a white school

us_marshals_with_young_ruby_bridges_on_school_steps.jpg

All racist Jim Crow laws in south were passed by Democratic legislators, signed by Democratic Governors and upheld by Democratic judges. You lefties cant blame anyone else for that, but yourself. You own it.

1582433001713.jpg
It quite

There were Republicans in southern states too.
They supported Jim Crow

It is a southern thing

Until suddenly, it wasn't. The ground was shifting under the facade of control for a long time, and went they dem racists lost power, it was swept away and was gone.

Democrat's heritage.

Republicans in the south supported Jim Crow
Democrats in the north opposed it

Republicans in South were outnumbered 10 to 1. And you still blame it on Republicans.

Let's put it this way, more Northern Democrats voted against CRA than Southern Republicans.
I didn’t blame it on Republicans. I blamed it on the “peculiar institutions” of the south.

You are the one making it political

Who established those "peculiar institutions" if Republicans had no power in South?

In fact blacks had already been voting Democratic. Since the 1930s before LBJ ever ran for office. And we covered that, profusely, when we broke down the infamous "party switch" canard.

We?

You lefties claim there was a "party switch" in 60's, but always failed to prove that "party switch" aver happened. In fact, since you said it yourself, blacks have been "already" voting for Democrats since "New Deal", the "party switch" of the 60's is a myth.

Actually it's not. Most racist republicans used to be Democrats. Thurmond, Lott, Helms, Trump,

Helms? He joined Republicans 5 years after CRA, so you can't really use him as example of "switch".

Trump? You haven't been calling him a racist until he decided to run against Democrats. Si, if he was racist, why did you keep in in Democratic party so long?

Right... because racists never left Democratic party. They just stayed quiet, and became "mentors" to rest of you. You lefties had quite a lot to learn from them. Great job.

Actually almost no Southern Democrats or Republicans voted for it

It was part of their racist culture

Actually more Southern Democrats than Southern Republicans voted for it I believe the Republican total was zero.

They like to ignore that distinction because it's buzzkill.

Yes, all 10 Republicans voted against it, yet you omitted Democrats votes.

Now, how many Democrats voted against it, give us a number.

You try and make it Democrat vs Republican. Every politician in the South voted against it.

Oh, it's everyone fault. Just like... America did slavery, right?

No, some Americans, primarily Democrats supported and fought for slavery, and some Americans (primarily Republicans) opposed slavery and fought to end it. You're still on side of those who supported it, and on side of those who enforced segregation, and lynching, and KKK... you own it.

That is the complete opposite of your ridiculous claim that the nation was moving towards integration.......It wasn’t

If it was, returning black soldiers would have been treated as heroes instead of second class citizens

That the nation as a whole was moving towards more and more civil rights and equality for blacks, which is my position, is not refuted by the existence of some resistance, ie what you posted.

I mean, am I being mean to you? Is there a reason that you are not up to normal functioning today? If so, let me know and I will make allowances.
Some resistance?

Like bombing churches, beating marchers in Selma, police dogs, fire hoses, beating Freedom Riders

I'll address it, if I can get past the orgy of endless and pointless self-inflating carriage returns.........

The "dems [sic]" didn't "flip" on the issue unless you're referring to what other wanker posters insist on referring to as the "party switch", that period of the turn of the 19th/20th century when the two party largely and gradually traded (rather than "switched") their constituencies, That's when the Southern faction, already the redheaded stepchild in the party, began to lose its grip. That crack in effect began in 1936 when FDR, at the height of his power and influence, got the party convention rules changed for Presidential nomination from a two-thirds majority to a simple 51% majority. Under the previous rules the South was able to hold the convention hostage --- as it infamously did in 1924 --- in resisting liberal civil rights-friendly candidates, by denying that two-thirds threshold.

The Ku Klux Klan was doing its part too, a few years earlier in 1928 when it endorsed Herbert Hoover and ran a national smear campaign against Al Smith (because he was a Catholic), as seen here:

Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Texas going from blue to red, and Alabama weak. The VP on the ticket was from Arkansas or it might have been worse for them. No doubt Roosevelt could smell the blood in the water.

In the first election year after WW2 had run its course, that Southern contingent, in an echo of 1860 Charleston, walked out of the convention upon hearing too much about "civil rights" from the incumbent Truman and the young mayor of Minneapolis Hubert Humphrey, and went to run their own campaign, even getting Truman kicked off the Democratic ballot where they could (in return Thurmond was kicked off his ballot when he then tried to run for Senator, ran as a write-in with no party, and won anyway).

1920s... 1930s... 1940s,

So those seeds were sown decades before the 1960s, during which time the South had been hanging on as the way-out right wing of the party, opposed to the thrust of the national party but loathe to join the "party of Lincoln", until the same renegade from 1948, Thurmond, took the plunge in 1964 So this is not a party "flipping' --- it's a batshit wing of a party flipping upon facing the reality that they'd been sitting in the wrong room and it was not going to get them anywhere.

Summa y'all still have yet to grok the distinction between ideologies and political parties.

That would be interesting historical detail on the process, if you had not so torpedoed your credibility that I can't trust anything you say.

Also, the republican [sic] party never wavered in it's [sic] support of equality and civil rights. The southern voters that more and more voted Republican were always the pro-civil rights voters of the South, until long after the issue had become politically moot.

Again --- the numbers prove you wrong. See post 1279.

bothcivilrights.jpeg

Definitions here, Wanker:

"Racism" means the belief that one race is superior to another.

"Linky-link" means you need to show evidence of your ass-sertion.

NEITHER ONE GOT DONE.

I know, stop the presses right. Quelle surprise.

You are a racist.

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyeah if you could, you know, go ahead and QUOTE where I did that, that'd be great.

Cue crickets.

THe point remains.

You are a racist.

So you have nothing.

What a surprise.

Yawn.
I pointed out when you did in this thread, again and again. If you managed to not see when I did it then, what point is there in you requesting me to show you again?Oh, is this more of those weird troll games you've been playing?Whatever. I don't care about your games.THe point remains.When you hold that one race is inferior to another, such as not deserving the same treatment as all other races, and groups,then you are racist against that group.As you have demonstrated by holding Whites to a higher standard, then any other group.You are a racist.

Nnnnno Tweedles, you cut and pasted the same ipse dixit shit again expecting it to stick to the wall. Again I've posted *NOTHING* --- no thing -- about holding whites, or any other race to any different standard at all, and the fact that you can't show it leaves your point exploded on its launchpad.

Democrat's heritage.

Republicans in the south supported Jim Crow
Democrats in the north opposed it

Republicans in South were outnumbered 10 to 1. And you still blame it on Republicans.

Let's put it this way, more Northern Democrats voted against CRA than Southern Republicans.
I didn’t blame it on Republicans. I blamed it on the “peculiar institutions” of the south.

You are the one making it political

Who established those "peculiar institutions" if Republicans had no power in South?

Merchants. Specifically, slave traders.

Again, there's nothing "political" about that. Nothing honorable either but certainly nothing political. Again, political parties didn't even exist, not even the first ones, for 250 years after they started bringing Africans here.

We?

Helms? He joined Republicans 5 years after CRA, so you can't really use him as example of "switch".

Trump? You haven't been calling him a racist until he decided to run against Democrats. Si, if he was racist, why did you keep in in Democratic party so long?

Right... because racists never left Democratic party. They just stayed quiet, and became "mentors" to rest of you. You lefties had quite a lot to learn from them. Great job.

When was Rump "in in Democratic Party"? When was he dabbling in politics at all? 2000, with Ross Perot's Reform Party.
That's it.

You remember 2000? When he declared he didn't want anything to do with David Dooky, sixteen years before his 'very good brain' somehow "forgot" who he is?

Some resistance?

The south declared all out war when asked to abandon segregation

No, it didn't. You are focusing on a few people, and using them to smear a vastly larger population.

ruby_bridges_3.jpg

A six year old black girl who needed federal marshals to protect her while she goes to a white school

All racist Jim Crow laws in south were passed by Democratic legislators, signed by Democratic Governors and upheld by Democratic judges. You lefties cant blame anyone else for that, but yourself. You own it.

1582433001713.jpg
It quite

They supported Jim Crow

It is a southern thing

Until suddenly, it wasn't. The ground was shifting under the facade of control for a long time, and went they dem racists lost power, it was swept away and was gone.
It was all part of the south’s “peculiar institution”
That institution not only dictated that blacks were inferior but they were somehow dirty and were not allowed to eat, sleep, use restrooms, swim, watch movies or sit next to whites. They even had separate libraries because white southerners would not read a book that a black person had red.

Those beliefs had existed for centuries and had nothing to do with the Democratic Party

ruby_bridges_3.jpg

1582433001713.jpg
It quite

They supported Jim Crow

It is a southern thing

It was all part of the south’s “peculiar institution”
That institution not only dictated that blacks were inferior but they were somehow dirty and were not allowed to eat, sleep, use restrooms, swim, watch movies or sit next to whites. They even had separate libraries because white southerners would not read a book that a black person had red.

Those beliefs had existed for centuries and had nothing to do with the Democratic Party

Matter of fact, related to this is why I never use the term "cover version" in music, or say that such-and-such artist "covered" some previous song, unless it actually is a cover. A "cover" version means a Pat Boone records a Little Richard song so that white record buyers might be spared the degradation of having to buy a record made by a black man. And that was in NO way limited to the South. And certainly not to freaking political parties.

Hell mainstream television wouldn't even show an interracial kiss until 1968 and even then it had to be "forced by aliens".

Some resistance?

1920s... 1930s... 1940s,

Also, the republican [sic] party never wavered in it's [sic] support of equality and civil rights. The southern voters that more and more voted Republican were always the pro-civil rights voters of the South, until long after the issue had become politically moot.

Again --- the numbers prove you wrong. See post 1279.

bothcivilrights.jpeg

I make a comment about the broad trends of the nation and the parties over time and you post the vote count from a single bill, without context or even stated reasons as though that refutes it?

Consider your silliness noted and dismissed.

My point stands.

You are a racist.

Cue crickets.

THe point remains.

You are a racist.

So you have nothing.

What a surprise.

Yawn.
I pointed out when you did in this thread, again and again. If you managed to not see when I did it then, what point is there in you requesting me to show you again?Oh, is this more of those weird troll games you've been playing?Whatever. I don't care about your games.THe point remains.When you hold that one race is inferior to another, such as not deserving the same treatment as all other races, and groups,then you are racist against that group.As you have demonstrated by holding Whites to a higher standard, then any other group.You are a racist.

Nnnnno Tweedles, you cut and pasted the same ipse dixit shit again expecting it to stick to the wall. Again I've posted *NOTHING* --- no thing -- about holding whites, or any other race to any different standard at all, and the fact that you can't show it leaves your point exploded on its launchpad.

Yeah, I never said you SAID it, you moron, I pointed out that that is what your ACTIONS were DOING.

How many times you going to pretend to be too stupid to understand words?

Forum List

Back