US spying scandal will 'break the Internet,' says Google's Schmidt

CherryPanda

Aug 12, 2014
The impact of US government surveillance on tech firms and the economy is going to get worse before it gets better, leaders at some of the biggest tech firms warned US Sen. Ron Wyden on Wednesday during a roundtable on the impact of US government surveillance on the digital economy.
The senior Democratic senator from Oregon took the floor at the Palo Alto High School gymnasium -- where he played high school basketball well enough to earn a college scholarship for his court-side abilities more than 50 years ago -- to discuss the economic impact and future risks of US government surveillance on technology firms.
Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt, who has been outspoken on the topic, pulled no punches with his assessment of how the spying scandal has and will continue to impact Google and other tech companies.
The impact is "severe and is getting worse," Schmidt said. "We're going to wind up breaking the Internet."

US spying scandal will break the Internet says Google s Schmidt - CNET

Yes, we all know that the Big Brother has been watching us for some time now. Many of us feel it violates our right for privacy (and I’m among those people). But this is something bigger. I mean, government surveillance might put an end to the free Internet era, and, probably, an end to the flourishing IT businesses. And, consequently, to our freedom spirit, imho.

The impact of US government surveillance on tech firms and the economy is going to get worse before it gets better, leaders at some of the biggest tech firms warned US Sen. Ron Wyden on Wednesday during a roundtable on the impact of US government surveillance on the digital economy.
The senior Democratic senator from Oregon took the floor at the Palo Alto High School gymnasium -- where he played high school basketball well enough to earn a college scholarship for his court-side abilities more than 50 years ago -- to discuss the economic impact and future risks of US government surveillance on technology firms.
Google Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt, who has been outspoken on the topic, pulled no punches with his assessment of how the spying scandal has and will continue to impact Google and other tech companies.
The impact is "severe and is getting worse," Schmidt said. "We're going to wind up breaking the Internet."

Yes, we all know that the Big Brother has been watching us for some time now. Many of us feel it violates our right for privacy (and I’m among those people). But this is something bigger. I mean, government surveillance might put an end to the free Internet era, and, probably, an end to the flourishing IT businesses. And, consequently, to our freedom spirit, imho.

NSA is tracking your email, you disloyal opposition suberversive

I graduated from Palo Alto High School in 1978. :smile:

We have so many things to worry about already. The internet is very strong and has a powerful momentum that would be hard to harm.

Forum List

Back