USDA targets candy, cola in new school nutrition regulations

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America

By Ben Goad - 06/27/13 11:29 AM ET

Candy bars and Cokes will be replaced in school vending machines around the country with fruit cups and calorie-free flavored water under new snack standards unveiled Thursday.

The Department of Agriculture regulations apply to all food and drinks sold to kids in school, outside of the national school breakfast and lunch programs, which are already subject to new rules under the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.

The regulations on snacks or so-called “competitive foods” sold in vending machines and school stores are designed to combat the country’s childhood obesity problem.

“These changes are intended to improve the health and wellbeing of the Nation’s children, increase consumption of healthful foods during the school day and create an environment that reinforces the development of healthy eating habits,” according to the 232-page rule.
Read more: USDA targets candy, cola in new school nutrition regulations - The Hill's RegWatch
Follow us: [MENTION=27326]The[/MENTION]hill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

I think I'd go nuts without my pop. I'd walk out.

And so the Obama's USDA Gestapo deprives kids of the sugar intake they need to remain conscious during school time.

Candy bars and Cokes will be replaced in school vending machines around the country with fruit cups and calorie-free flavored water under new snack standards unveiled Thursday.

The Department of Agriculture regulations apply to all food and drinks sold to kids in school, outside of the national school breakfast and lunch programs, which are already subject to new rules under the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010.

The regulations on snacks or so-called “competitive foods” sold in vending machines and school stores are designed to combat the country’s childhood obesity problem.

“These changes are intended to improve the health and wellbeing of the Nation’s children, increase consumption of healthful foods during the school day and create an environment that reinforces the development of healthy eating habits,” according to the 232-page rule.
Read more: USDA targets candy, cola in new school nutrition regulations - The Hill's RegWatch

Can some progressive explain to me why the hell this is a federal issue????

They should ban the purchase of junk food with food stamps too.

A lot of the obesity in this country is paid for by USDA foodstamps.

It is a federal issue because the Feds pay for much of the cost of the school lunches.

If states do not want Federal interference in the lunchroom then the should refuse the money and charge what the meals actually cost.

Of course, since I taught in 90+% schools most of my years, that would cause a lot of hardship.

I'd ask this of the USDA: If a kid gets 360 meals a year at school(breakfast, lunchx180, why is the foodstamp payment not cut?

That would fight obesity too.

It is a federal issue because the Feds pay for much of the cost of the school lunches.

If states do not want Federal interference in the lunchroom then the should refuse the money and charge what the meals actually cost.

Of course, since I taught in 90+% schools most of my years, that would cause a lot of hardship.

I'd ask this of the USDA: If a kid gets 360 meals a year at school(breakfast, lunchx180, why is the foodstamp payment not cut?

That would fight obesity too.

This is for vending machines that the students pay for themselves, using money provided to them by thier parents. The feds have nothing to do with them, they are via arrangements with the local schools themselves.

Provided meals are a seperate issue.

Raise your hand if you can correctly identify which section of the Constitution authorizes the Federal government to regulate what food and drinks are provided at schools.

Clock is ticking.....

The government has found the definitive curb on obesity. Raise the cost of food to being unaffordable.

How to curb obesity: Tax calories, study says - The Washington Post

A per calorie tax.

“A calorie tax would get you the biggest bang for the buck; it’s the most direct way of taxing obesity,” Okrent said.

There are at least a couple of problems with that option, though. Nutritionists would prefer to distinguish between “good” and “bad” calories, and taxing calories might push the price of staples beyond the reach of the destitute.

Guess what, we didn't have vending machines or junk food in our school, and we all lived.

I went to a catholic school and we didnt get free condoms from the nurse, and we did just fine too.

But to a progressive like you thats probably one of the worst things a school can do....

Guess what, we didn't have vending machines or junk food in our school, and we all lived.

I went to a catholic school and we didnt get free condoms from the nurse, and we did just fine too.

But to a progressive like you thats probably one of the worst things a school can do....

We didn't have condoms at our schools either, but I did date several catholic girls and married one. She had bruises on her knees she was so devout.

Catholic Girls
With a tiny little mustache
Catholic Girls
Do you know how they go?
Catholic Girls
In the Rectory Basement
Father Riley's a fairy
But it don't bother Mary
Catholic Girls
At the CYO
Catholic Girls
Do you know how they go?
Catholic Girls
There can be no replacement
How do they go, after the show?

[JOE:]
All the way
That's the way they go
Every day
And none of their mamas ever seem to know
Hip-Hip-Hooray
For all the class they show
There's nothing like a Catholic Girl
At the CYO When they learn to blow...

Catholic Girls
Catholic Girls
Do you know how they go?
Catholic Girls
In the Rectory Basement
Father Riley's a fairy
But it don't bother Mary
Catholic Girls
At the CYO
Catholic Girls
Do you know how they go?
Catholic Girls

All the way
That's the way they go
Every day
Hip-Hip-Hooray

Congratulations. I've never seen a more nihilistic, moronic post.

You deserve some kind of prize.

The government has found the definitive curb on obesity. Raise the cost of food to being unaffordable.

How to curb obesity: Tax calories, study says - The Washington Post

A per calorie tax.

“A calorie tax would get you the biggest bang for the buck; it’s the most direct way of taxing obesity,” Okrent said.

There are at least a couple of problems with that option, though. Nutritionists would prefer to distinguish between “good” and “bad” calories, and taxing calories might push the price of staples beyond the reach of the destitute.
Only in America are foods approved for consumption THEN demonized as unhealthy and Taxed as such. Americans just go right along with it too. "Oh that sounds reasonable. Those companies should have to PAY for their Death Dealing Ways!" Derp!

Is this a Freedom we can thank Vets for?

Catholic Girls
Catholic Girls
Do you know how they go?
Catholic Girls
In the Rectory Basement
Father Riley's a fairy
But it don't bother Mary
Catholic Girls
At the CYO
Catholic Girls
Do you know how they go?
Catholic Girls

All the way
That's the way they go
Every day
Hip-Hip-Hooray

Congratulations. I've never seen a more nihilistic, moronic post.

You deserve some kind of prize.

I take it you aren't a Zappa fan.

This is good

Forum List

Back