USPS loses $16 billion. Raises all around!

it needs to stop being forced to fund retirement 75 years into the future.

The fact that the republican want to KILL the post office shows they are fucking liars about supporting the constitution and the founders plans.

So you want to underfund the pensions so the tax payers will have to pick up the tab? You want government to raid the pension fund like corporate raiders did Hostess. Then it becomes the PBGC's / Tax Payers problem.

The post office needs new management....Which means it needs to shut down and let provate indrustry take over. No union is good business.

i agree with your first part......the second part.....who will take it over?.....one company or many?...

Government monopoly doesnt seem to work does it???? Look at our schools they suck and they are a government monopoly as well so I say many times many

the PO would work just fine if they had REAL business people running it AND if Congress would let those people run it and stay out of it.....if the PO wants to do anything to improve what they do they have to go through a bunch of committees and then they have to get Congressional approval....meanwhile its 5 years later......we went through this in the early nineties with scanner technology......the PO should also be allowed to make a profit.....

The fact that the republican want to KILL the post office shows they are fucking liars about supporting the constitution and the founders plans.

So you want to underfund the pensions so the tax payers will have to pick up the tab? You want government to raid the pension fund like corporate raiders did Hostess. Then it becomes the PBGC's / Tax Payers problem.

the PO has been funding their retirement just fine until this bullshit was laid on them....how would UPS or Fed-X react if they had to pay up front 5 Billion every year?.....

Despite $15.9 billion loss, U.S. Postal Service execs see boost in pay

If Republicans hadn't made the USPS fund retirement for 75 yrs in advance, they might be in a more stable fiscal position. Leave it to Republicans to ruin and slander an American icon. Patriots.

Bullshit! You're lying or supremely ignorant.

First, it was NOT Republicans that pass that law. That bill was co sponsored by Bernie Sanders...not exactly a Republican and it passed by a vote of 410 to 20. Clearly, there was bipartisan support.

Second, all the law did was mandate that the PO follow the same accounting practices it requires of all other businesses in the United States. The PO's problem in prefunding the retirement benefits of its employees came about in the first place because it wasn't meeting those obligations before 2006. Congress simply made it do what every other business is forced to do under standard accounting principals.

Private secter is more efficient, but not cheaper.

it isn't more efficient.

and things that operate in the public interest shouldn't be 'for profit'... there is no incentive to ACT in the public interest when profits are involved. that seems to be the part of the equation that the brainwashed right has a problem with.

Agreed: public sector jobs should not operate for profit.

However, public sector jobs should not be created when their function can be satisfied in the private sector.

The USPS is obsolete.

You could probably make that argument for the military too. Privatization of military will be the next goal of libertarians. We've seen the trial run this last decade with Blackwater and Halliburton in the middle east.
You could argue the military isn't public sector, ok, but the military was originally for defense of the nation. We've gone beyond that with the for profit Military industrial complex.

Except the Private Sector won't do the job.

They'll do what they can make money doing. If there's no money to be made sending stuff to Aunt Gertie in the sticks, they won't do that.

They can just mandate the private company deliver to the rural areas. Also there is no reason a 3 day a week delivery schedule would not serve the rural area well enough.

Despite $15.9 billion loss, U.S. Postal Service execs see boost in pay

If Republicans hadn't made the USPS fund retirement for 75 yrs in advance, they might be in a more stable fiscal position. Leave it to Republicans to ruin and slander an American icon. Patriots.

First, it was NOT Republicans that pass that law. That bill was co sponsored by Bernie Sanders...not exactly a Republican and it passed by a vote of 410 to 20. Clearly, there was bipartisan support.

Second, all the law did was mandate that the PO follow the same accounting practices it requires of all other businesses in the United States. The PO's problem in prefunding the retirement benefits of its employees came about in the first place because it wasn't meeting those obligations before 2006. Congress simply made it do what every other business is forced to do under standard accounting principals.

I didn't know about Sanders co sponsoring this accounting practices bill. What was the name of the bill?

the PO has been funding their retirement just fine until this bullshit was laid on them....how would UPS or Fed-X react if they had to pay up front 5 Billion every year?.....

All pensions should be fully funded wether they are public or private because they are all backed by tax payers.

Wallstreet is having a huge party raiding pension funds at the tax payers expense.

I didn't know about Sanders co sponsoring this accounting practices bill. What was the name of the bill?

I think they called it the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act.

why does the right hate the post office?

The founders wanted it and wrote it right into the constitution.

They were willing to pay for it.

it now pays for itself.

Why did the republicans want it burdened with funding its retirement fund 75 years into the furture in jsut 10 years?

They were trying to kill it.

They LIE about being all constitutional.

Not a good scenario, the postal service, the only means of private communication left in this era of government's unlimited ability to electronically surveil all its citizens on the verge of joining the dodo bird, the Ford Edsel, and Hostess Bakers in the pantheon of extinct entities, while a solitary FBI agent is now free to intercept anyone's e-mails without even so much as a court order.

I think they called it the Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act.

It was h.r. 6407 presented by a republican. Co sponsored by 1 republican and 2 demorats including Henry Waxman, a supposedly liberal. Nothing about Sanders I could find. I don't believe they cross over into another branch to co sponsor a bill.

the PO has been funding their retirement just fine until this bullshit was laid on them.

Not true, which is why Congress passed the law.

in my 33 years here i have never heard anything about them not funding it properly....from the Unions from the Workers from the Retirees from the Anti-Postal Santa Ana Register Newspaper who i am sure would have said something......and Congress is one of the reasons the Post Office is so fucked up.....and that i HAVE seen quite often in these 33 years...

It was changed to save the government money.

It was designed by a republican toi kill the post office so private delivery business could make a profit from taking over

Forum List

Back