Utopia: Metropolis/MySpace

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
The new sci-fi horror film Alien: Covenant has me thinking about Thomas More's Utopia and the 'value' of moral hygiene.

Is modernism more about MySpace or Mattel?

Cheers (Happy Mother's Day!),

eagle.jpg

====

"As a journalist, I have to say that Denver, Colorado (USA) is an idyllic modern city as well as a geographical gem (a bustling urban hub surrounded by scenic mountains in the varied terrain of America!). I start to think about the metaphysical 'allure' of cities near natural beauty (e.g., Niagara Falls, Ontario). Why am I equally-drawn to metropolis and the garden of Eden? Was Thomas More correct in suggesting that 'Utopia' (or imagined paradise-like civilization) is some 'balance' between extremes?"

abs3.jpg

"Thinking about Utopia compels me to plan an expedition to the haunting and majestically snowy Ural mountains in Eastern Europe (Russia). Perhaps developing a settlement in the Urals would achieve that Utopia-like civilization More imagined and discussed. We'd have to have the right leaders, division-of-labor, resource-renewal goals, devotion to creativity, and sustainable defences/fortifications. Then, all we'd need is the right philosophical/spiritual guidance and/or inspiration --- e.g., the Bible."

abs2.jpg

"Our Utopian experiment in the Urals has seen a major setback, as one team of our expedition crew who trekked last Sunday in search of a clearing for a vacation-spot claimed to have sighted a giant Abominable Snowman creature (or Yeti!). The team claims that the Yeti was some ominous messenger of the pitfalls in Utopian-daydreams created by manmade eco-pollution and toxic-waste, but I wonder if all this 'evangelical chatter' is somehow merely a danger-compass for self-reproach!"

abs1.jpg

GOD: Man is not meant for Utopia...
SATAN: Why not? Man makes great cars (Renault, Audi, Chrysler, Kia).
GOD: Man is too obsessed with the frills of metropolis (e.g., Napster, eTrade).
SATAN: No, I think mankind will always be fascinated with nature.
GOD: Watching the Nature is one thing, and eco-consciousness is another.
SATAN: Even modern movies address 'savage sins' (e.g., Ravenous).
GOD: I think Thomas More was talking about diligent negotiation.
SATAN: Perhaps TrumpUSA is not too incompetent to handle the challenge!
GOD: There's so much anti-TrumpUSA sentiment right now...
SATAN: Well, nothing is perfect, but Utopia is a trophy of the imagination!
GOD: Can the 'imagination' conquer the 'instinct' to dominate/exploit?
SATAN: Isn't that what The People's Court (TV) is all about?
GOD: I wonder what archaeologists of the future will make of terrorism (ISIS/Taliban)?
SATAN: Perhaps they'll say, "Metropolis was 'complicated' by infrastructure-dissatisfaction!"
GOD: Let's go watch the ostracism film The Beach on Netflix (in the meantime).
SATAN: I prefer economics to history...

====

:dance:

9.jpg

Forum List

Back