VA Middle School Students Assigned to Do Research for Obama Campaign

Right away, two things jump out that are horribly wrong with this picture. First of all, the students did not get to chose which candidate they support and which they considered opposition. Second, their findings will be turned over to the Obama campaign. This is atrocious!

Students in Va. Middle School Politics Class Assigned to Do Opposition Research, Devise Attack Strategies on GOP for Obama Campaign
Students in Va. Middle School Politics Class Assigned to Do Opposition Research, Devise Attack Strategies on GOP for Obama Campaign | Fox News Insider

Megyn Kelly reported on new controversy coming out of a Virginia middle school politics class today, in which an 8th grade teacher assigned students to do opposition research on the four Republican presidential candidates. The students’ research included looking into the backgrounds of the GOP candidates and finding weaknesses in their positions.
Now, this kind of research wouldn’t be out of the norm for a typical politics class if it weren’t for the teacher requiring the students submit their findings to the Obama campaign!

I have to laugh.... The only reason i would think the obama campaign would want the information is so they know how to address and relate to thei OWN constituents.... what intellectual level they must speak.
Lowest common demonitaor is Obama's speed and intellect. He speaks to those that don't know any better.

Pure Pubcrappe...

And of course, dumbazz dittoheads...

"Who said it was teacher's preference?! It's an election year and the current sitiuation is four highly visible Republican candidates campaigning against a democratic incumbent. It's only logical to base the assignment on researching the opposing candidates. If it were 2008 it would have been just as likely to research Obama/Clinton/Edwards. FWIW, in 2008 my son's civics class did an assignment where they drew names and 1/2 the class researched and created campaign posters for Bush while the other 1/2 researched and created posters for Gore. It, like this, was just a topical assignment - not an evil agenda.?

Students are being forced to work for the Obama campaign - Page 2

When you THINK about it, fer chrissake...

Last edited:
Quote: Originally Posted by The T

Quote: Originally Posted by francoHFW Pure Fox/Pubcrappe for the dupes. Corporate media won't give a damn, some LW site will post the truth, the dupes will be on to the next gossip/"outrage"....pfffft!

When they perform such a feat? YOU tell us about it...Promise?

Yup. I googled the OP, went through TWENTY-TWO pages of identical BULLSHYTTE from one gazillion Pub Propaganda/RW conspiracy /RW cottage industry for the dupes WEBSITES to get to one lonely "LW" blog with the truth, dumbazz dittohead...

Here is a quote from your article - "John Torre, a spokesman on behalf of the Fairfax County Public School system, insists that students were never instructed to actually send their results to the Obama campaign.

“Instead, the teacher simply asked his students to find out the name of the office that would receive such information,” Torre wrote in an email to TheDC."

Furthermore, the article goes on to point that out that - “The principal advised the teacher that he should emphasize to his students that this assignment was meant to learn a process and not to endorse a particular candidate,” Torre said. “The teacher agreed with the principal’s direction.”

Last edited:
I'm all for balance, but I just don't think that it is practical or necessary in this context. When I was in elementary school we were required as a class assignment to write our Congressman (who happened to be a Republican). I doubt it occurred to our teacher to find us a Democrat that we could write to if we preferred. There wasn't any need. This kind of Fox News scrutiny wouldn't lead to more balance even if Fox News was itself balanced, it will just discourage teachers from effectively teaching about politics at all.

There is a slight difference between writing a congresscritter and doing opposition research on only one party.

Yes. That's a point I never disputed, and immediately agreed with when Conservative made it earlier in this thread.

I hadn't read that far when I responded.

I'm all for balance, but I just don't think that it is practical or necessary in this context. When I was in elementary school we were required as a class assignment to write our Congressman (who happened to be a Republican). I doubt it occurred to our teacher to find us a Democrat that we could write to if we preferred. There wasn't any need. This kind of Fox News scrutiny wouldn't lead to more balance even if Fox News was itself balanced, it will just discourage teachers from effectively teaching about politics at all.

If a teacher wants to teach about politics, don't you think it would be a little more even-handed if the students did their 'investigation' about ALL the candidates?

And exactly how would you feel if the assignment was for every member of the class to 'investigate' Obama and all his connections to domestic terrorists and Marxists? I think we would hear you screaming from coast-to-coast.

There is no reason whatsoever to believe that the students didn't research Obama in this class. Complaining that the class is unbalanced because this assignment only investigated Republicans is like complaining a class teaching arithmetic is unbalanced because one of the assignments focused on addition to the detriment of subtraction.
I live in Farifax County and in this school district. I know one of the parents of a kid in that class. The assignment included zero balance. The children were ONLY assigned the task to find flaws in the GOP candidates.

THAT is why the parents are not happy. The kids are supposed to be learning civics. An election is certainly part of that, but BALANCE is required.

(And, the teacher is a male, so references to what she should have done is more correctly, 'he'.)

If a teacher wants to teach about politics, don't you think it would be a little more even-handed if the students did their 'investigation' about ALL the candidates?

And exactly how would you feel if the assignment was for every member of the class to 'investigate' Obama and all his connections to domestic terrorists and Marxists? I think we would hear you screaming from coast-to-coast.

There is no reason whatsoever to believe that the students didn't research Obama in this class. Complaining that the class is unbalanced because this assignment only investigated Republicans is like complaining a class teaching arithmetic is unbalanced because one of the assignments focused on addition to the detriment of subtraction.

Did I say the class is biased? The assignment itself is what I am complaining about, I think assignments should be balanced as much as possible. In this case she should have either allowed all the students to pick their own candidate to research, or had groups investigating everyone, including Obama.

Quote: Originally Posted by The T

Quote: Originally Posted by francoHFW Pure Fox/Pubcrappe for the dupes. Corporate media won't give a damn, some LW site will post the truth, the dupes will be on to the next gossip/"outrage"....pfffft!

Yup. I googled the OP, went through TWENTY-TWO pages of identical BULLSHYTTE from one gazillion Pub Propaganda/RW conspiracy /RW cottage industry for the dupes WEBSITES to get to one lonely "LW" blog with the truth, dumbazz dittohead...

Here is a quote from your article - "John Torre, a spokesman on behalf of the Fairfax County Public School system, insists that students were never instructed to actually send their results to the Obama campaign.

“Instead, the teacher simply asked his students to find out the name of the office that would receive such information,” Torre wrote in an email to TheDC."

Furthermore, the article goes on to point that out that - “The principal advised the teacher that he should emphasize to his students that this assignment was meant to learn a process and not to endorse a particular candidate,” Torre said. “The teacher agreed with the principal’s direction.”

You sure go through alot of motions/effort to demonstrate YOU don't KNOW the quote function.

You people are very predictable. Will you ever learn to wait a day or so.......when more details are publicized? You are reactionary nutjobs.

More details like this?

John Torre, a spokesman on behalf of the Fairfax County Public School system, insists that students were never instructed to actually send their results to the Obama campaign. “Instead, the teacher simply asked his students to find out the name of the office that would receive such information,” Torre wrote in an email to TheDC.
Torre explained that Principal Dr. Catherine Cipperly, who refused to comment, discussed the matter with Denman, citing that students should have been given a choice to research candidates from either major party.

Gee, look at that, I actually agree with the school's principle.

Pure Fox/Pubcrappe for the dupes. Corporate media won't give a damn, some LW site will post the truth, the dupes will be on to the next gossip/"outrage"....pfffft!

"Here is a quote from your article - "John Torre, a spokesman on behalf of the Fairfax County Public School system, insists that students were never instructed to actually send their results to the Obama campaign.

Furthermore, the article goes on to point that out that - “The principal advised the teacher that he should emphasize to his students that this assignment was meant to learn a process and not to endorse a particular candidate,” Torre said. “The teacher agreed with the principal’s direction.”"

To review: More Pubcrappe for the dupes...

Why did you skip the part about the principle telling the teacher the assignment was improperly handled and that the students should have been allowed to choose a candidate from both parties?

"Here is a quote from your article - "John Torre, a spokesman on behalf of the Fairfax County Public School system, insists that students were never instructed to actually send their results to the Obama campaign.

Furthermore, the article goes on to point that out that - “The principal advised the teacher that he should emphasize to his students that this assignment was meant to learn a process and not to endorse a particular candidate,” Torre said. “The teacher agreed with the principal’s direction.”"

Why did you skip the part about the principle telling the teacher the assignment was improperly handled and that the students should have been allowed to choose a candidate from both parties?

Because if he hadn't skipped THAT part he'd have to admit we were right.

Total Foxcrappe waste of time...22 Google pages of identical Pubcrappe from ONE HUNDRED PLUS sites, all posted in ONE HOUR, add up to NOTHING but an interesting assignment about the GOP challengers, spun all to HELL by the Pub Propaganda Machine.

Only in the PPM's BULLSHYTTE world. Pub dupes!!

I live in Farifax County and in this school district. I know one of the parents of a kid in that class. The assignment included zero balance. The children were ONLY assigned the task to find flaws in the GOP candidates.

THAT is why the parents are not happy. The kids are supposed to be learning civics. An election is certainly part of that, but BALANCE is required.

(And, the teacher is a male, so references to what she should have done is more correctly, 'he'.)

Do you know anything else about the class curriculum? In judging the alleged bias present in the assignment I think it would be worthwhile to see the whole curriculum, but I can't find it online.

Last edited:

Do you know anything else about the class curriculum? In judging the alleged bias present in the assignment I think it would be worthwhile to see the whole curriculum, but I can't find it online.
Yes, I would because I help my 8th grade stepson-to-be who is currently in civics in Fairfax County public schools (not that one, though) once a week with his homework. It's a standard curriculum in the district and it does not include this assignment.

But, that's just a poster on the net saying that, so not worth much. If I had access to his Blackboard account, I could copy it, but I don't.

Pure Fox/Pubcrappe...22 google pages of it, Rush and Beck etc etc- all BS- And even if it were all true, it would be one poor innocent teacher giving an interesting assignment...the rest is BS spin.

A disgrace.

im sure the right would be ok with this if the president was a republican though...

this is faux outrage from faux news...

Did Obama assign this work to the students?

Doesn't appear so, but that won't stop his staff from pouring over their homework to see if they can use any of it. Creepy.

That teacher should be fired. She is not teaching them anything, merely training them to let others do their thinking for them. She's a brainwasher, not a teacher. The message she's sending is that Republicans are bad amd Obama is good. I wonder if the class sang that disgusting song about Obama as she handed out the assignment. uh uh uh Barack Hussein Obama uh uh uh barf

just how fucking stupid are you? What in the world would middle school kids learn that the Obama people dont already know?
Why are you so fucking stupid?

That the Earth is round?

The left doesn't attack teachers doing their job with lies and bs spin- the whole GD Pub Propaganda machine- disgraceful demagoggery, sluts who aren't public figures. A disgrace. THIS IS NOT POLITICS, ya stupid a-holes. Change the channel, knuckleheads...And good night.

Forum List

Back