VA School PullTo Kill A Mockingbird’, ‘Huck Finn’ From Shelves

dcbl

Good guys wear white hats
Aug 23, 2011
Bham, AL
Attempting to remove Mark Twain and Harper Lee from the public conscience is just stupid. Losing Joel Chandler Harris was a national tragedy already - we literally destroyed THE voice that brought to life and gave a voice to African folklore in the United States.

What is hilarious here, and unfortunately under-reported (or rather, ignored) is that Samuel Clemens, Lee Harper & Joel Chandler Harris were actually some of the loudest and strongest proponents against actual racism during their lives.

JCH actually preserved "African heritage" more so than anyone else in the literary world. The fact that his "tar baby" became synonymous as a hateful racist term is one of the great tragedies in race relations in America...

I mean, this is right up there with taking George Washington & Thomas Jefferson off of public building because they were slave owners.

It USED to be that "book banning" was a pastime for the far right & religious fundamentalist, but our leftist friends and the hardcore social justice warriors have picked up the torch in a big way!

Ni**er Jim, we hardly knew ye...

and here is a little peek into the inner workings of a day in Social Justice Warrior Paradise -

tumblr_oa45paDGGN1ss9dfho1_500.gif

VA School Pulls ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’, ‘Huck Finn’ From Shelves

ACCOMAC, VA (CBS/AP) – Two American literature classics found across thousands of library shelves in the U.S. have been shelved, potentially for good, in one Virginia school system.

The Accomack County Public Schools removed “To Kill a Mockingbird” and “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” after a parent filed a complaint for the books’ use of racial slurs, according to multiple media outlets.

@Ascleipias?
Is use of the word n*gger in the novels' dialogue of certain characters more important than the overall message?

@Ascleipias?
Is use of the word n*gger in the novels' dialogue of certain characters more important than the overall message?

no, but that term was in common use at the time the novels were written and was not viewed as "hateful" or "racist"

it meant something different back then; attempts to erase if from the public record is wrong headed

today's discourse borders on the ridiculous and the absurd

anything that could be viewed as "offensive" is taboo - if it is said by a white man; even if it is snarky, relevant or funny - there is a difference between disparaging and hateful and just plain real talk - are we ready for real talk yet?

these works of fiction give amazing and unique insight into how people thought and interacted with each other at that point in American history

they help us understand the mindset of people, the entertainment value is a bonus

because understanding where we came from helps us to shape and define where we are going

those that do not learn from history are bound the repeat it - an old saying, but very true

ok, I understand the premise here, Huck Finn for instance, the reference to the Nigger Jim is certainly by todays standards a racial slur that is unacceptable by most rational people.
That being said I think its important to realize that at the time that the book was penned, that was not considered out of line or racist, it was an acceptable word to be used when identifying a person of color. In other words, there is no reason to suspect any racially motivated negativity on the part of Samuel Clemens.
To ban a book like that for that reason in my opinion, does not do justice to the progression of civil rights and respect for others that has been seen over the decades. It is again in my opinion, important that we educate students in such a way to see where these names came from, how they became offensive and most important how they were not offensive at the time they were used. (back then)
Its like today, if I walk in to a predominately black college lunch room and make a comment about how many coloreds are eating lunch all at the same time, the use of the word coloreds would today be considered a racist way of identifying the group. However, there was a time in the 60s when the word coloreds was the preferred way (even by the blacks) to identify them as a whole. Names come and go, there is a natural progression to this, today its mostly accepted that the use of a racial identifier is not required when dealing with any group of individuals.
If we hide history, sooner or later it will be repeated through our ignorance of the past.
If the book was written today, then the use of the words would be racially offensive, but considering the time that it was written, there was no racial animosity intended.

Democrats are at war with information. They resort to book burning when they are angry or frustrated. The current gov of Va. is a democrat who used to work in the Clinton administration.

@Ascleipias?

no, but that term was in common use at the time the novels were written and was not viewed as "hateful" or "racist"

it meant something different back then; attempts to erase if from the public record is wrong headed

today's discourse borders on the ridiculous and the absurd

anything that could be viewed as "offensive" is taboo - if it is said by a white man; even if it is snarky, relevant or funny - there is a difference between disparaging and hateful and just plain real talk - are we ready for real talk yet?

these works of fiction give amazing and unique insight into how people thought and interacted with each other at that point in American history

they help us understand the mindset of people, the entertainment value is a bonus

because understanding where we came from helps us to shape and define where we are going

those that do not learn from history are bound the repeat it - an old saying, but very true
Are you a black activist? I asked A because of course I agree with you and the posters here, but I am white and although the "n" word has never passed my lips and never will, it doesn't have the same impact on me that it would have on a black person. Particularly one who is very sensitive to racial issues. Perhaps there is another persuasive argument against teaching them.
I really enjoyed both books and they are still taught as American classics all over the country. I hate the censorship of books from high schools due to political winds from any quarter, but schools have been fighting this for many decades. The article does say the books have been pulled pending a review by school administrators and I hope the parent loses, I think. But I would like to hear that argument.
It is certainly not the average liberal who moves to pull these kind of books, whatever some of you may think.

Are you a black activist?

lol - no

white boy from Atlanta that now lives in Bham

and to be fair, I do know that many liberals agree with me on this; mu OP was taking a swipe at the "fringests" and the militant PC crowd

Democrats are at war with information. They resort to book burning when they are angry or frustrated. The current gov of Va. is a democrat who used to work in the Clinton administration.
You are simply stupid, whitehall. You can learn but refuse to.

Virginia Election Results 2016: President Live Map by County, Real-Time Voting Updates

Accomack County, VA Presidential Election
R D. Trump 54.5% 8,582
D H. Clinton 42.8% 6,737
L G. Johnson 1.7% 262
I E. McMullin 0.7% 112
G J. Stein 0.4% 62

Attempting to remove Mark Twain and Harper Lee from the public conscience is just stupid. Losing Joel Chandler Harris was a national tragedy already - we literally destroyed THE voice that brought to life and gave a voice to African folklore in the United States.

What is hilarious here, and unfortunately under-reported (or rather, ignored) is that Samuel Clemens, Lee Harper & Joel Chandler Harris were actually some of the loudest and strongest proponents against actual racism during their lives.

JCH actually preserved "African heritage" more so than anyone else in the literary world. The fact that his "tar baby" became synonymous as a hateful racist term is one of the great tragedies in race relations in America...

I mean, this is right up there with taking George Washington & Thomas Jefferson off of public building because they were slave owners.

It USED to be that "book banning" was a pastime for the far right & religious fundamentalist, but our leftist friends and the hardcore social justice warriors have picked up the torch in a big way!

and here is a little peek into the inner workings of a day in Social Justice Warrior Paradise -

ACCOMAC, VA (CBS/AP) – Two American literature classics found across thousands of library shelves in the U.S. have been shelved, potentially for good, in one Virginia school system.

The Accomack County Public Schools removed “To Kill a Mockingbird” and “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” after a parent filed a complaint for the books’ use of racial slurs, according to multiple media outlets.
ACCOMAC County, Virginia voted for Donald Trump.
Get off the leftist kick, my friend.

Virginia Election Results 2016: President Live Map by County, Real-Time Voting Updates

R D. Trump 54.5% 8,582
D H. Clinton 42.8% 6,737
L G. Johnson 1.7% 262
I E. McMullin 0.7% 112
G J. Stein 0.4% 62
Great minds think alike, Jake.

R D. Trump 54.5% 8,582
D H. Clinton 42.8% 6,737
L G. Johnson 1.7% 262
I E. McMullin 0.7% 112
G J. Stein 0.4% 62
Great minds think alike, Jake.

I just wish whitehall and pete7469 and correll and the rest would think instead of emote on these issues.

(I posted the same exact thing in the education board, but I really want to comment on the issue LOL).

Some people are dumbasses...I teach To Kill a Mockingbird and have NEVER had a problem from ANY of my students. They ALL (including my black students) have always understood where I'm coming from and why it's important we discuss it.

I tell them the following:

-When they're reading they don't need to use the word-but they may (if they're quoting the text).

-I will use the word (only quoting the text mind you), because I don't want to sugar coat history and what the book is about.

-If hearing the word makes them uncomfortable-it's a good thing because it SHOULD.

-Mockingbird isn't supposed to be a comfortable novel to read. It should challenge them, it should test them and it should make them think. It should make all of the students squirm in their seats a little bit.

-We juxtapose the classroom from the novel to our classroom.

PS: I'm a white male teacher and teach in a school with a white population of about 20-25%

Anybody who thinks that any part of the novels are racist in the slightest either A) have never read them, or B) lack the reading comprehension skills necessary to understand the novels.

If anything the books actually highlight why the words aren't acceptable.

The dumbing down of America continues.

oh gee------"To Kill a mockingbird" and HUCK FINN are going the way of -----<gasp>
the racist bit of trash---PORGY AND BESS. -----throw your ---la la ~~~ la la SUMMER TIME ~~~ and the living is eaaasy (high sorprano)---
45 in the trash------it is RACIST (I think eldridge cleaver said so----sometime in the 60s

Liberal censorship - gotta love it.

What time is the book burnin', Hillary? :p

oh gee------"To Kill a mockingbird" and HUCK FINN are going the way of -----<gasp>
the racist bit of trash---PORGY AND BESS. -----throw your ---la la ~~~ la la SUMMER TIME ~~~ and the living is eaaasy (high sorprano)---
45 in the trash------it is RACIST (I think eldridge cleaver said so----sometime in the 60s

Coming soon: the banning of the Little Rascals, All In The Family, To Sir With Love, The Jeffersons, West Side Story......someone make it stop

Forum List

Back