VA School PullTo Kill A Mockingbird’, ‘Huck Finn’ From Shelves

Attempting to remove Mark Twain and Harper Lee from the public conscience is just stupid. Losing Joel Chandler Harris was a national tragedy already - we literally destroyed THE voice that brought to life and gave a voice to African folklore in the United States.

What is hilarious here, and unfortunately under-reported (or rather, ignored) is that Samuel Clemens, Lee Harper & Joel Chandler Harris were actually some of the loudest and strongest proponents against actual racism during their lives.

JCH actually preserved "African heritage" more so than anyone else in the literary world. The fact that his "tar baby" became synonymous as a hateful racist term is one of the great tragedies in race relations in America...

I mean, this is right up there with taking George Washington & Thomas Jefferson off of public building because they were slave owners.

It USED to be that "book banning" was a pastime for the far right & religious fundamentalist, but our leftist friends and the hardcore social justice warriors have picked up the torch in a big way!

Ni**er Jim, we hardly knew ye...

and here is a little peek into the inner workings of a day in Social Justice Warrior Paradise -

tumblr_oa45paDGGN1ss9dfho1_500.gif

VA School Pulls ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’, ‘Huck Finn’ From Shelves

ACCOMAC, VA (CBS/AP) – Two American literature classics found across thousands of library shelves in the U.S. have been shelved, potentially for good, in one Virginia school system.

The Accomack County Public Schools removed “To Kill a Mockingbird” and “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” after a parent filed a complaint for the books’ use of racial slurs, according to multiple media outlets.

oh gee------"To Kill a mockingbird" and HUCK FINN are going the way of -----<gasp>
the racist bit of trash---PORGY AND BESS. -----throw your ---la la ~~~ la la SUMMER TIME ~~~ and the living is eaaasy (high sorprano)---
45 in the trash------it is RACIST (I think eldridge cleaver said so----sometime in the 60s

Coming soon: the banning of the Little Rascals, All In The Family, To Sir With Love, The Jeffersons, West Side Story......someone make it stop

can we keep the little rascals if we put a sizzle block over little buckwheat?

Attempting to remove Mark Twain and Harper Lee from the public conscience is just stupid. Losing Joel Chandler Harris was a national tragedy already - we literally destroyed THE voice that brought to life and gave a voice to African folklore in the United States.

What is hilarious here, and unfortunately under-reported (or rather, ignored) is that Samuel Clemens, Lee Harper & Joel Chandler Harris were actually some of the loudest and strongest proponents against actual racism during their lives.

JCH actually preserved "African heritage" more so than anyone else in the literary world. The fact that his "tar baby" became synonymous as a hateful racist term is one of the great tragedies in race relations in America...

I mean, this is right up there with taking George Washington & Thomas Jefferson off of public building because they were slave owners.

It USED to be that "book banning" was a pastime for the far right & religious fundamentalist, but our leftist friends and the hardcore social justice warriors have picked up the torch in a big way!

and here is a little peek into the inner workings of a day in Social Justice Warrior Paradise -

ACCOMAC, VA (CBS/AP) – Two American literature classics found across thousands of library shelves in the U.S. have been shelved, potentially for good, in one Virginia school system.

The Accomack County Public Schools removed “To Kill a Mockingbird” and “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” after a parent filed a complaint for the books’ use of racial slurs, according to multiple media outlets.

oh gee------"To Kill a mockingbird" and HUCK FINN are going the way of -----<gasp>
the racist bit of trash---PORGY AND BESS. -----throw your ---la la ~~~ la la SUMMER TIME ~~~ and the living is eaaasy (high sorprano)---
45 in the trash------it is RACIST (I think eldridge cleaver said so----sometime in the 60s

Coming soon: the banning of the Little Rascals, All In The Family, To Sir With Love, The Jeffersons, West Side Story......someone make it stop

I don't care what anyone says The Little Rascals were cute

I don't care what anyone says The Little Rascals were cute
but aunt Jemima did need the new hair style in order to continue sharing the grocery store shelf with the off brands of pancake mix.

The parent who complained about immoral literature is dangerous.

Literature is not supposed to be imposed as a moral guide. It is not supposed to be selected by administrators with a moral agenda.

Literature is a snapshot of the human experience, a portal into different times and places, to be enjoyed, debated, critically analyzed and understood.

For instance, I think the Bible & organized religion are barbaric pre-modern anachronisms, but I cannot imagine raising a child without knowing religion in general and the Judeo-Christian tradition in particular. The Bible is a foundational reference point for western consciousness - it is essential to cultural literacy. Children should understand the war between the Church and Galileo. They should be challenged to think critically about EVERYTHING, including evolution, the Constitution and American tradition.

Education should not be about transmitting the correct values, it should be about helping students think critically so that they can make their own choices on what to believe and how to live.

Last edited:
So...these books need banned but they didn't say anything about "Catcher in the Rye?"

Liberal censorship - gotta love it.

What time is the book burnin', Hillary? :p
The county in which the school district easily went for Trump with a majority. easyt, you are stupid. You can learn but won't.

So...these books need banned but they didn't say anything about "Catcher in the Rye?"
rye> bread> whole grain> health nut approved> hippy> liberal
the reasons are clear to me. You cant ban something with a healthy word in the name.

The leftwing tards don't even understand that Huckleberry Finn is a polemic against slavery and discrimination. All they know is that it has the word "ni99er" in it, so they want to ban it.

So one parent gets a bee in their bonnet and an entire school is denied reading certain books?

Insanity

It's happening at a school Illinois as well:

Lemont H.S. class reading list questioned by parents - Chronicle Media

“We can’t have 18-year-olds reading about masturbation or sexual issues, regardless of the literature. I don’t care if it’s from Dickens or who else." :lol:
Im sorry but If Im going to be masturbating, the literature of choice is not going to be something that was written by Dickens.
Just saying.

image.jpeg

Liberal censorship - gotta love it.

What time is the book burnin', Hillary? :p
The county in which the school district easily went for Trump with a majority. easyt, you are stupid. You can learn but won't.
Jake, you really need to lighten up and get a sense of humor. To SERIOUSLY infer / suggest Hillary had anything to do with it is ridiculous - I know this. It was a JOKE.

LIGHTEN UP, man, the serious stuff is over - you / Hillary lost. :p

(See, that was ANOTHER joke... :p )

The parent who complained about immoral literature is dangerous.

Literature is not supposed to be imposed as a moral guide. It is not supposed to be selected by administrators with a moral agenda.

Literature is a snapshot of the human experience, a portal into different times and places, to be enjoyed, debated, critically analyzed and understood.

For instance, I think the Bible & organized religion are barbaric pre-modern anachronisms, but I cannot imagine raising a child without knowing religion in general and the Judeo-Christian tradition in particular. The Bible is a foundational reference point for western consciousness - it is essential to cultural literacy. Children should understand the war between the Church and Galileo. They should be challenged to think critically about EVERYTHING, including evolution, the Constitution and American tradition.

Education should not be about transmitting the correct values, it should be about helping students think critically so that they can make their own choices on what to believe and how to live.

Government employees have no business teaching kids anything their parents don't want them to be taught, period. That's why government schools are morally offensive and should be abolished.

what does that idiot principle IMAGINE is on the minds of kids sitting in stuffy high school classes all day

Next, they will want to burn us deplorables in their ovens.....

I only hope they try sooner rather than later.....

So one parent gets a bee in their bonnet and an entire school is denied reading certain books?

Insanity

It's happening at a school Illinois as well:

Lemont H.S. class reading list questioned by parents - Chronicle Media

“We can’t have 18-year-olds reading about masturbation or sexual issues, regardless of the literature. I don’t care if it’s from Dickens or who else." :lol:
Im sorry but If Im going to be masturbating, the literature of choice is not going to be something that was written by Dickens.
Just saying.

I know, right? Talk about cheerless. lol

Forum List

Back