VA School PullTo Kill A Mockingbird’, ‘Huck Finn’ From Shelves

The left proving every day they are the book burning fascists, and then they deny it. It truly is fucking unreal what they are.
Nope. In this case, the school district is located in a Trump majority county.

You can repeat that as many times as you want, but more and more Conservatives are going to pop into this thread and repeat the same stuff.

@Ascleipias?
Is use of the word n*gger in the novels' dialogue of certain characters more important than the overall message?

no, but that term was in common use at the time the novels were written and was not viewed as "hateful" or "racist"

it meant something different back then; attempts to erase if from the public record is wrong headed

today's discourse borders on the ridiculous and the absurd

anything that could be viewed as "offensive" is taboo - if it is said by a white man; even if it is snarky, relevant or funny - there is a difference between disparaging and hateful and just plain real talk - are we ready for real talk yet?

these works of fiction give amazing and unique insight into how people thought and interacted with each other at that point in American history

they help us understand the mindset of people, the entertainment value is a bonus

because understanding where we came from helps us to shape and define where we are going

those that do not learn from history are bound the repeat it - an old saying, but very true
Are you a black activist? I asked A because of course I agree with you and the posters here, but I am white and although the "n" word has never passed my lips and never will, it doesn't have the same impact on me that it would have on a black person. Particularly one who is very sensitive to racial issues. Perhaps there is another persuasive argument against teaching them.
I really enjoyed both books and they are still taught as American classics all over the country. I hate the censorship of books from high schools due to political winds from any quarter, but schools have been fighting this for many decades. The article does say the books have been pulled pending a review by school administrators and I hope the parent loses, I think. But I would like to hear that argument.
It is certainly not the average liberal who moves to pull these kind of books, whatever some of you may think.
You have never said.....the 7 letter word for people who annoy you?

240504.jpg

I have to call bullshit.

The school board is located in a county in VA that went a majority for Trump, yet easyt and others want to blame liberals instead of the far right.

Buncha bone heads on the far right.
They might as well ban us from the board, for all the notice they are taking of anything we are saying.
Maybe tomorrow I'll have heard from A. I'd like to hear both sides.

@Ascleipias?
Is use of the word n*gger in the novels' dialogue of certain characters more important than the overall message?

no, but that term was in common use at the time the novels were written and was not viewed as "hateful" or "racist"

it meant something different back then; attempts to erase if from the public record is wrong headed

today's discourse borders on the ridiculous and the absurd

anything that could be viewed as "offensive" is taboo - if it is said by a white man; even if it is snarky, relevant or funny - there is a difference between disparaging and hateful and just plain real talk - are we ready for real talk yet?

these works of fiction give amazing and unique insight into how people thought and interacted with each other at that point in American history

they help us understand the mindset of people, the entertainment value is a bonus

because understanding where we came from helps us to shape and define where we are going

those that do not learn from history are bound the repeat it - an old saying, but very true
Are you a black activist? I asked A because of course I agree with you and the posters here, but I am white and although the "n" word has never passed my lips and never will, it doesn't have the same impact on me that it would have on a black person. Particularly one who is very sensitive to racial issues. Perhaps there is another persuasive argument against teaching them.
I really enjoyed both books and they are still taught as American classics all over the country. I hate the censorship of books from high schools due to political winds from any quarter, but schools have been fighting this for many decades. The article does say the books have been pulled pending a review by school administrators and I hope the parent loses, I think. But I would like to hear that argument.
It is certainly not the average liberal who moves to pull these kind of books, whatever some of you may think.
You have never said.....the 7 letter word for people who annoy you?

240504.jpg

I have to call bullshit.
Same guy who insisted this morning that I'm a communist. LOL

You do make up some good shit there fella.

No one is going to ban us permanently, OldLady. Far more alt right and far right have been forced to leave than any hard lefties. And I don't know of any centrists who have ever been forced off the board.

You lie, you get called out, easyt. The meathead far right in the school district are banning books, and it is a joke to you.

Got it.

At the same time -- the LEFTY school boards have ALREADY REPLACED Mark Twain and other classics with tales of Gang-Banging, drugs and crime..

Difference is -- in the more conservative districts --- TWAIN is STILL on the reading list.
Bunch of fucking Hypocrites. I fought this same fight in Cali 15 or 20 years ago.. You partisans are so screwed up....

easyt remind me particularly of two parents I knew.
So it's not just me - you project your false narratives and lies onto others you know nothing about so you can hate them as well. Got it... Good luck with that.
You lied yet again, and I caught you yet again. That will never change. One of the parents sued the ISD, so we counter sued the parent. The ISD had insurance, so that ended that parent's nonsense right then and there. The other one, unlike you, easyt, could learn, so it was easily resolved.
I guess we'll have to take you word for it, Jakey. :p

In the meantime you know nothing about me, sand you keep demonstrating your willingness to project your biases, prejudices, and ignorance onto those you know nothing about...must have made you a top-knotch school board member. :p

You lie, you get called out, easyt. The meathead far right in the school district are banning books, and it is a joke to you.

Got it.

At the same time -- the LEFTY school boards have ALREADY REPLACED Mark Twain and other classics with tales of Gang-Banging, drugs and crime..

Difference is -- in the more conservative districts --- TWAIN is STILL on the reading list.
Bunch of fucking Hypocrites. I fought this same fight in Cali 15 or 20 years ago.. You partisans are so screwed up....

Trump won Accomack County, in Virginia, where this school district is located.

Got it.

Your point is good. However, in THIS thread, your point is not the point.

The point is ~ easyt made a stupid political statement and got his genitals metaphorically nailed down. The district is in Trump country not liberalville.

You need to focus, flacaltenn.

The parent who complained about immoral literature is dangerous.

Literature is not supposed to be imposed as a moral guide. It is not supposed to be selected by administrators with a moral agenda.

Literature is a snapshot of the human experience, a portal into different times and places, to be enjoyed, debated, critically analyzed and understood.

For instance, I think the Bible & organized religion are barbaric pre-modern anachronisms, but I cannot imagine raising a child without knowing religion in general and the Judeo-Christian tradition in particular. The Bible is a foundational reference point for western consciousness - it is essential to cultural literacy. Children should understand the war between the Church and Galileo. They should be challenged to think critically about EVERYTHING, including evolution, the Constitution and American tradition.

Education should not be about transmitting the correct values, it should be about helping students think critically so that they can make their own choices on what to believe and how to live.

Government employees have no business teaching kids anything their parents don't want them to be taught, period. That's why government schools are morally offensive and should be abolished.

lol, more absurdity.

Got it.

Link to school board members voting Trump?

I guess we'll have to take you word for it, Jakey. In the meantime you know nothing about me, sand you keep demonstrating your willingness to project your biases, prejudices, and ignorance onto those you know nothing about...must have made you a top-knotch school board member. :p
I revealed your bias and prejudice, so you have been lying every since, making you look even more foolish. You reveal your top-knotch credentials every time you post. Your Trump country school district made a bad choice.

I guess we'll have to take you word for it, Jakey. In the meantime you know nothing about me, sand you keep demonstrating your willingness to project your biases, prejudices, and ignorance onto those you know nothing about...must have made you a top-knotch school board member. :p
I revealed your bias and prejudice, so you have been lying every since, making you look even more foolish. You reveal your top-knotch credentials every time you post. Your Trump country school district made a bad choice.
You mean the liberals....yes....we know...

We must insulate the children from the horrors of history....aka give them safe places

lol, since when did you think the n-word was horrible?

Well I'm not to fond of it at all but given I hear blacks using it more than whites it's pretty much a non issue with me. I understand you're a snowflake so it's expected a lot of things offend you...grow a set, put on some big boy pants and worry about your own fucking life

Got it.

might have to dig deeper to come up with a solid conclusion that Trump supporters are at the root of this. A county can be fairly large, a district in the county could vote differently than the county as a whole. If that was not true, then we could say that the counties that actually were for hillary in the states that Trump won, are responsible for everything that Trump has done in the past and will do in the future.
I know the county in Maryland that I live in goes for the republican every time as a county over all, however in that county we have Annapolis, Annapolis is your typical liberal haven full of health food and freebies.

You would be surprised the number of books I've had people bitch about and want removed from the library.

Got it.

might have to dig deeper to come up with a solid conclusion that Trump supporters are at the root of this. A county can be fairly large, a district in the county could vote differently than the county as a whole. If that was not true, then we could say that the counties that actually were for hillary in the states that Trump won, are responsible for everything that Trump has done in the past and will do in the future.
I know the county in Maryland that I live in goes for the republican every time as a county over all, however in that county we have Annapolis, Annapolis is your typical liberal haven full of health food and freebies.

I said nothing more than that this county voted for Trump. In response to the other poster who blindly labeled it a 'lefty' school board.

There was never a lie, Jake - there was a JOKE...and it was exposed you have no sense of humor. Since that time you have been making false accusations, have been projecting your own bias/prejudice, & have been demonstrating you are an uptight, butt hurt liberal who needs to get laid...if you can find anyone willing.

You know nothing about me yet you keep declaring lies as if you do. Doing so doesn't make you look intelligent, Jake - it makes you look mental.

Forum List

Back