USMB Coffee Shop IV

I got my mother one of those "I've fallen and can't get up" necklaces. Works great, but she forgets to wear it most of the time. Nothing I could say to get her to wear it until I started complaining about what it cost and made her feel guilty. It's not that expensive, and I would happily pay twice the price, but if it takes making her feel guilty before she remembers to wear it, I'm not too proud to play it that way.
That is wonderful. You're the best in being a caring person for your lucky mom! Kudos.

Bit of blow tonite with torrential sideways rain. Didnt think much of it till I tried to enter the neighborhood. Large trees down everywhere. Several homes with serious damage as you turn in. We are deeper in. Somewhat anxious but we were untouched. Couple large branches on the roof but none pierced thru.
We lost a huge tree the other day. Fortunately, it didn't fall on its neighbor tree, and it fell on a grassy pasture. It will take some time to build a bonfire for a special evening. It rained here, too, but the rain fell straight down. And yes it was roaring. Hope the storm where you are is over. I am having now and then torrents.

That looks like a genuine standoff of like- minded pets. :lmao:

We lost a huge tree the other day. Fortunately, it didn't fall on its neighbor tree, and it fell on a grassy pasture. It will take some time to build a bonfire for a special evening. It rained here, too, but the rain fell straight down. And yes it was roaring. Hope the storm where you are is over. I am having now and then torrents.

That looks like a genuine standoff of like- minded pets. :lmao:
Well, my 3 girl doggies dominoed, and my study is full of little squeaks. So I will be in the study a lot more for a few weeks. They look like what I have seen online as the species "Texas," but a couple of them has the markings of a St Bernard although all of them have the short hair and facial appearance of Texas dogs. Two of the mommy dogs are just one notch above puppyhood themselves, and although constantly nursing, they are growing longer and taller to beat the band. The younger mothers need to hear "time to feed the babies" everything the whining goes to full pitch. I have never seen so many puppies in one place, but the Texas specie dogs are amazing in valor and courage, not to mention a streamlined physique. They're a little leary of strangers, so I have to keep them indoors and do frequent floor cleanses. I let the girls out a couple of times in both morning and evening at puppy nap time. They really like that but they quickly come in (for once) when the pups show their tongues that tell me it's chow time. I'm not sure why they cleaned up their obedience act, but the mommies know what their job is, so far, so good. :thup:

80 years ago.

It was beginning right about now.

NYAG851-66_1944_000000.jpg

Of the pathfinders that had been sent forth a few hours earlier, only one group successfully set the markers for the drop zones....No battle plan ever survives first contact.

The troopers that followed were dropped all over the place, few on their designated drop zones....Even so, they used Yankee ingenuity, formed ad-hoc battle groups, and took the fight to the Germans.

Troop-carrier-first.jpg

None we reported that I know of. Ground is saturated which I think played into uprooted trees. Lot of large branches ripped off the maples.
Good that there's no serious damage to life or property. Always distressing to lose old established trees of course. I lived most of my adult life in tornado alley and a strong downdraft from a super cell can exceed 100 mph and do a lot of damage. Doesn't have to be a tornado.but you could have had a small one come through the weather service missed. Who knows? More likely a severe downburst/downdraft/microburst from a super cell.

Anyway glad you're okay. I spent most of my childhood and most of my adult life in tornado alley and storm damage, sometimes severe, around us was pretty routine, almost expected. Had several roofs replaced due to large hail.

Here on the high desert, severe weather is pretty rare. Damaging hail is rare and the occasional damaging flash flood even more rare. Of course tornados can happen anywhere but we really don't even think about them here. Sometimes I miss the excitement of more interesting weather. But not enough to want it. :)

Last edited:
80 years ago.

It was beginning right about now.

NYAG851-66_1944_000000.jpg

Of the pathfinders that had been sent forth a few hours earlier, only one group successfully set the markers for the drop zones....No battle plan ever survives first contact.

The troopers that followed were dropped all over the place, few on their designated drop zones....Even so, they used Yankee ingenuity, formed ad-hoc battle groups, and took the fight to the Germans.
I recently found out two of my mom's cousins were in the D-Day invasion but among the paratroopers. Almost all the men of her generation in the family served in some capacity in WWII.

I just recently found out two of my mom's cousins were paratroopers on D day. Pretty much all the men of her generation in my family served in WWII, most in combat positions, but those cousins were the only ones I know of who experienced D Day.

As I recall Eisenhower seriously considered going on June 5 but decided to delay 24 hours hoping for a little better weather. It didn't improve much and was still bad enough the Germans believed we wouldn't attack, but you're right. The ships would be on their way at this hour the wee hours of the morning June 6 and would be in place by 6:30 a.m. German time.

Last edited:
Good that there's no serious damage to life or property. Always distressing to lose old established trees of course. I lived most of my adult life in tornado alley and a strong downdraft from a super cell can exceed 100 mph and do a lot of damage. Doesn't have to be a tornado.but you could have had a small one come through the weather service missed. Who knows? More likely a severe downburst from a super cell. Those can exceed 100 mph and do a lot of damage.

Anyway glad you're okay. I spent most of my childhood and most of my adult life in tornado alley and storm damage, sometimes severe, around us was pretty routine, almost expected. Had several roofs replaced due to large hail.

Here on the high desert, severe weather is pretty rare. Damaging hail is rare and the occasional damaging flash flood even more rare. Of course tornados can happen anywhere but we really don't even think about them here. Sometimes I miss the excitement of more interesting weather. But not enough to want it. :)
Yep I'll take a couple of months of 100 degree plus days for no tornadoes, Earthquakes, floods or windstorms. The monsoons can be exciting but they're not dangerous unless you drive your car into a wash.

About 60 miles east of where the American paratrooper debacle was unfolding, six British Horsa gliders and a few dozen troopers landed nearly perfectly on target...They quickly surprised and overwhelmed the Germans manning the Pegasus and Horsa bridges, cutting off the avenues of armored reinforcements to the British sector of the upcoming landings.

During the battle, their commander, Maj. John Howard, was KIA leading the way.

They were the first allied unit to achieve their objective of the invasion.

Pegasus-Bridge-Glider-No-1-Frank-Bourlet.jpg

W-Pegasus-MAP.jpg

27440203336_d517cc5b0c_b.jpg

Yep I'll take a couple of months of 100 degree plus days for no tornadoes, Earthquakes, floods or windstorms. The monsoons can be exciting but they're not dangerous unless you drive your car into a wash.
The monsoons haven't been exciting for some years now though. We get little relief from our extreme drought from them. But at least they give us hope for rain for a few months. :)

The monsoons haven't been exciting for some years now though. We get little relief from our extreme drought from them. But at least they give us hope for rain for a few months. :)
Yes other than 2021 which was a near record monsoon for Tucson, they've been pretty wimpy.

About 60 miles east of where the American paratrooper debacle was unfolding, six British Horsa gliders and a few dozen troopers landed nearly perfectly on target...They quickly surprised and overwhelmed the Germans manning the Pegasus and Horsa bridges, cutting off the avenues of armored reinforcements to the British sector of the upcoming landings.

W-Pegasus-MAP.jpg

Thanks to your posts, Hombre and I will be watching "The Longest Day" tonight, maybe one of the better films covering most of the aspects of the D Day landing.

Yes other than 2021 which was a near record monsoon for Tucson, they've been pretty wimpy.
When we first moved into this area, the spectacle of Volkswagens and other assorted vehicles floating down the 'washes' (we call them arroyos here :) ) was commonplace. I don't think that has happened in awhile here though.

When we first moved into this area, the spectacle of Volkswagens and other assorted vehicles floating down the 'washes' (we call them arroyos here :) ) was commonplace. I don't think that has happened in awhile here though.
When I first moved here in the 80s I had no idea how deep the water could get on the streets and how powerful even a few inches of flow could be. I had a little VW dasher at the time and I thought I could make it across the flowing water coming down the street. Nope! I got a free ride for about about 50 yards before my wheels grabbed road. I can tell you it is a really weird feeling to be floating down the street in your car. Lesson learned, never did that again!

W-Pegasus-MAP.jpg

In the Longest Day movie, Major Howard wasn't killed, was he? Maybe they cut that part out. Anyway, I'm going to watch the movie again, like right now.

There should be one place in the USMB village where folks can just be themselves and get to know each other as we would if we lived next door or worked together or joined the same gym.

This is a place to just come in and say hi, let us know what's going on with you these days, celebrate joys, concerns, jokes, music, hobbies, interests, love and life.

So check your spurs, sidearms, politics, and religious fussing at the door, come in to enjoy an adult beverage or a hot cup of coffee and a piece of pie or whatever comforts your soul, and let's just enjoy each other.

04dKB.jpg

As long as...

Think of something you find humorous.
:auiqs.jpg:

Last edited:
In the Longest Day movie, Major Howard wasn't killed, was he? Maybe they cut that part out. Anyway, I'm going to watch the movie again, like right now.

Maj. John Howard, the commander of glider-borne British infantrymen who seized the strategically vital Pegasus Bridge in the first battle of the D-Day invasion of Normandy, died Wednesday in a hospital in Surrey, England. He was 86 and had lived in Burford, near Oxford.

Correct. John Howard wasn't killed in the invasion and wasn't portrayed that way in the movie. I read he was severely injured in a car accident in England some months after the invasion and that accident effectively ended his military service.

Some interesting trivia:

Actor Richard Todd was in the D Day invasion and was the real life soldier who relayed information to Major Howard at the bridge. He was offered a role playing himself in the movie, but wanted a bigger role so they cast him as Major Howard instead. :)

1717806225953.png

We did watch the movie--the WHOLE thing. Not the best script or best plotted movie for sure, but you did get some of the sense of what it was like on D Day and the 24 hours following the landing. The all star cast made up for some pretty sloppy directing. It is still among our top 10 favorite movies of WWII. Hope you enjoy it too.

Last edited:
While the numerous events of the 6th get nearly all the notice, they were only but the beginning...The next several days behind Utah beach were spent in a bloody and desperate battle, to secure and defend two small bridges and causeways, near the hamlets of La Fiere and Chef-du-pont...Needed by both sides, the Americans had to both hold off all armored and mechanized counter-attacks, and preserve the bridges for allied armor to press the attack further inland.

W-LaFiere-MAP-Jun14.jpg

Forum List

Back