Vegans! What do you think of them?

Since I really do not like most kinds of vegetables cooked, I would starve as a vegan.

Probably a great way for me to go on a crash diet.

Immie

Actually, I'm glad you said that. :) (I'm not a veggie fan either!) It's a common misconception that "all vegans eat are vegetables and fruits." There are plenty who do eat that way. They like to call themselves "raw foodists" or "fructarians."

I personally couldn't eat that way either, I'd be too hungry and weak. Other vegans (who aren't talked about as much because our diets aren't extreme) eat everything the rest of the population eats, just with vegan ingredients.

We can have fake meat, cheese pizza, macaroni, PB&J sandwiches, mexican, ice cream, cakes and cookies, and just about any other "normal" food you can think of. The only difference is they are made with no animal products - but that's it. :)

Hehe,

FYI: fake meat isn't meat and it doesn't taste like meat either! Saying it does is like saying that diet soda doesn't have an after taste. Everyone knows when you say it, you are full of B-O-L-O-G-N-A!

Immie

Since I really do not like most kinds of vegetables cooked, I would starve as a vegan.

Immie

Actually, I'm glad you said that. :) (I'm not a veggie fan either!) It's a common misconception that "all vegans eat are vegetables and fruits." There are plenty who do eat that way. They like to call themselves "raw foodists" or "fructarians."

I personally couldn't eat that way either, I'd be too hungry and weak. Other vegans (who aren't talked about as much because our diets aren't extreme) eat everything the rest of the population eats, just with vegan ingredients.

We can have fake meat, cheese pizza, macaroni, PB&J sandwiches, mexican, ice cream, cakes and cookies, and just about any other "normal" food you can think of. The only difference is they are made with no animal products - but that's it. :)

Hehe,

FYI: fake meat isn't meat and it doesn't taste like meat either! Saying it does is like saying that diet soda doesn't have an after taste. Everyone knows when you say it, you are full of B-O-L-O-G-N-A!

Immie

But you can adjust. I like diet sodas better than regular sodas now.

'cept when it's time for floats :eusa_angel:

Immie

Hehe,

Immie

I never said fake meat tasted like real meat. It doesn't but that doesn't mean it isn't tasty. Last night I had fake ribs with BBQ sauce and it was soooo good! Really want to have it again.

Also, to those who are surprised about a 10-year-old being interested in veganism - it all depends on how you were raised and what you were aware of. I first went vegan at age 11 but quickly gave it up because I knew nothing about it and missed the taste of MILK chocolate (for birthday cakes and easter eggs). But now that I'm an adult, it's much easier. :)

I recently became vegan (for ethical reasons) and realized that it's much easier than I previously anticipated it would be. :) So that puts a smile on my face. I'm wondering what those who post here think of veganism.

And, if anyone has any questions about the lifestyle, feel free to ask! :D

Pale, pasty faced people who live on vitamins and who need to eat a nice, juicy steak.:clap2:

So VeganMe, explain this...

You say you eat no animal products at all. So its 'cruel' to keep a few chickens and eat the eggs they produce? Why? Its not like the chook is attached to the egg, is it?
Why is it wrong to drink the milk from a cow? Cows have to be milked, why throw perfectly good milk away? The cow won't suffer any emotional trauma from seeing its milk drunk, will it?

I find many(not all) vegans to be annoyingly militant about their eating lifestyle.

Noomi - watching the movie "Earthlings" will tell you everything you wish to know about the inhumane conditions farm animals are kept in. Videos are worth a thousand words, but let me answer your question as best I can:

About chickens - Many farms have what is known as "battery cages" where several birds are crammed into such tight quarters that they can't even turn around or spread their wings. These birds live in cramped, filthy quarters for the majority of their lives. (Eggs from so-called cage-free hens are tricky. Stores are permitted to label them "cage-free" even if they let the hens out for only a brief time and then cram them back into cages - which is why I don't trust such misguiding labels).

Babies (chicks) are debeaked to prevent pecking. But the nerve endings in a chicken's beak are as sensitive to them as our tongue is to us, so cutting the ends off = cutting the end of a human's tongue off. It is extremely painful to them. (You can tell as they squawk in pain from this uniform procedure). When killed, chickens are often lined up (upside down) and their throats slit so they bleed out. It is a long and excruciating process to bleed until death. Many chickens choke to death on their own blood as they flap their wings in agony.

As for dairy cows, the unethical killing practice is similar. It's considered most cost-effective to kill them by slashing their throat open, letting the animal writhe in pain and choke on its own blood, as it may take over half an hour for it to finally die a very slow and painful death. Cows too can be kept in areas so small, they can't turn around and barely can move. Sometimes, before a cow is dead, butchers start cutting off bits of their bodies. I have heard the cows moo with intense pain as legs and hooves are hacked off before death.

Milk cows are kept pregnant their whole lives, their udders pumped with hormones and they are often force-fed unnatural foods to fatten them up. Baby cows (especially bulls - as males are considered worthless from birth) are taken from the mothers almost instantly and chained by their necks in small stalls away from the mother. They cry for eachother, and the babies' throats are slashed as well. They are only allowed to live (in horrible conditions) for 4 short months. (This becomes veal)...it is truly sickening to see.

Finally, after being kept pregnant her whole life, and having many babies taken from her, the mother milk cow becomes exhausted. When her milk dries up she too is deemed "worthless" by the farm. So she is to be slaughtered for meat, in the same (cost-effective) and sickly ways as described earlier.

By not buying dairy products (milk/cheese) I am not supporting the inhumane keeping/killing of cows and by not buying eggs I am not supporting the inhumane keeping/killing of chickens. People can make a difference with their dollar, and vegetarians often think by not buying meat, they are avoiding animal cruelty which is sadly not true. Buying eggs and milk or cheese supports the dairy industry, and these awful conditions for the animals.

Hope I have given a useful answer to you.

Last edited:

You say you eat no animal products at all. So its 'cruel' to keep a few chickens and eat the eggs they produce? Why? Its not like the chook is attached to the egg, is it?
Why is it wrong to drink the milk from a cow? Cows have to be milked, why throw perfectly good milk away? The cow won't suffer any emotional trauma from seeing its milk drunk, will it?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtSIU5BCOYw]Lely: Happy Cows, Good Milk - YouTube[/ame]

I recently became vegan (for ethical reasons) and realized that it's much easier than I previously anticipated it would be. :) So that puts a smile on my face. I'm wondering what those who post here think of veganism.

I actually prefer vegetarian food. I will eat chicken or fish sometimes (less than 1-2 times a week), but don't much like red meat. Pork, hardly ever. Occasionally I get a craving for steak ... but after a few bites, I'm done. I don't think I could go strictly vegan, as I do like cheese and yogart, etc.

Okay, I get the part about not actually buying milk and eggs, but what about eating the eggs and drinking the milk of a chicken or cow you have actually raised? Is that okay?

Do you wear leather shoes? Have leather car interior? Have any leather products at all?

Daughter was vegan for a while (now will eat fish and eggs) because of my grandson's severe allergies when he was a baby. She did it right, with the exception of honey. She said she didn't buy into the "exploitation of bees" crap LOL.

Last edited:
@ Noomi - if a person drinks the milk of a TRULY happy cow they have raised themselves (where the cow is allowed to roam across many green acres of land), not kept pregnant their whole lives and not treated badly, then I see no problem with drinking milk.

Same goes for chickens with eggs. If they are not caged, debeaked, or treated horribly, keeping chickens for eggs is also not an issue. But the problem with stores we shop in is that the majority of products (dairy and eggs) come from factory farms. They are the largest suppliers and there is a great demand, so they pump out the products as quickly as possible. Caring little for their animals welfare in the process.

I actually prefer vegetarian food. I will eat chicken or fish sometimes (less than 1-2 times a week), but don't much like red meat. Pork, hardly ever. Occasionally I get a craving for steak ... but after a few bites, I'm done. I don't think I could go strictly vegan, as I do like cheese and yogart, etc.

I love meats, but ideally I try to limit my intake. Fighting that with an eating disorder is hard though.

I recommend edamame and quinoa if you like to reduce your meat protein sources. Soybeans and quinoa are the only two non animal sourced complete proteins in the world.

Fish is always good though... depending on what kind of fish of course. I'll never view eating fish as the same as eating meats like pork or beef, at least in the context of health.

I love meats, but ideally I try to limit my intake. Fighting that with an eating disorder is hard though.

I recommend edamame and quinoa if you like to reduce your meat protein sources. Soybeans and quinoa are the only two non animal sourced complete proteins in the world.

Fish is always good though... depending on what kind of fish of course. I'll never view eating fish as the same as eating meats like pork or beef, at least in the context of health.

Now there's some irony

I'll vouch that goats seem to enjoy being milked. I think the vegan objection references the living conditions that dairy animals or chickens are kept in. They don't take into account that many such animals are not raised the way "factory farms" treat their animals.

The few vegans I've known have never been more than 30 miles from the city.

I really don't care what people eat, and find a vegan lifestyle interesting. But the whole "morality" thing just wipes me out.

The few Vegans that I have known act like they are somehow morally and ethically superior to everyone else just because they don't eat meat. That by not eating meat vegans have reached a higher level of awareness and tranquility. Basically, that not eating meat allows you to evolve into a perfect human being.

Well guess who was the worlds most famous life long vegan?

Adolph Hitler

Forum List

Back