Vehicle Headlights

The worst is people who have lifted and put on huge diameter tires on their pickup truck or 4x4 vehicle and never had their headlights readjusted for the new height. Now even with low beams their headlights blind everyone on the road at night. ... :cool:

YES. These yahoos in Pointless Pickups tailgating at night with their elevated headlights pointing directly into my rearview. :death:

Yes. Those new halo and projection lights are super bright.
Whenever i pass one, i am tempted to turn on my light bar. Just to let them know how it feels.
Noticed the occasional bright lights, but in general here, Harley, isn't there a TN code regulating the brightness of headlights?
IDK man. I do know there is a minimum and the State recommends to use factory headlights and bulbs.
There could be a max for the manufacturer to abide by, IDK
Go figure. Just looked it up. TN 55-9-406 and 55-9-4 addresses glaring lights, but are so vague as to appear to be just about unenforceable unless somebody mounts Xenon Search light off a tank. No measurable standard.
funny that you would state laws or be concerned about them,,,

Why is it "funny"?

Whenever i pass one, i am tempted to turn on my light bar. Just to let them know how it feels.
Noticed the occasional bright lights, but in general here, Harley, isn't there a TN code regulating the brightness of headlights?
IDK man. I do know there is a minimum and the State recommends to use factory headlights and bulbs.
Go figure. Just looked it up. TN 55-9-406 and 55-9-4 addresses glaring lights, but are so vague as to appear to be just about unenforceable unless somebody mounts Xenon Search light off a tank. No measurable standard.

Why is it "funny"?
that a democrat is concerned with what the laws say,,

I don't have the problem myself. I am 66 but still have excellent night vision. My 65 year old wife prefers I drive at night for the same problem people complaining about here. Dazzle is an increasing problem for old drivers in general as the eye muscles do not react as fast. Our state has applicable laws regarding tint of windows that are measurable, but it turns out the law on brightness, is pretty much in the eye of the beholder. Many state laws, here and in other states are often mirror images of other states laws. If poorly crafted here, probably poorly crafted in many states. Probably should be a measurable national standard, since everybody goes from state to state. Not possible to know what might be needed unless you know what you have. The law is the place to start.
Change would meet guaranteed resistance for multiple reasons. Some people are not comfortable driving with only the standard brightness available on factory equipment. They need more light for them to see and drive safely, even though their increase may make it more dangerous for others. Some people resist any new regulation, just because it is a new regulation whether bad or good. Look how long people took to get used to being required to wear seat-belts, yet who could argue it is a bad regulation, not admitting it generally saves lives?
Why would anybody, not be concerned with their state laws? That is not a conservative way to live.

I don't have the problem myself. I am 66 but still have excellent night vision. My 65 year old wife prefers I drive at night for the same problem people complaining about here. Dazzle is an increasing problem for old drivers in general as the eye muscles do not react as fast. Our state has applicable laws regarding tint of windows that are measurable, but it turns out the law on brightness, is pretty much in the eye of the beholder. Many state laws, here and in other states are often mirror images of other states laws. If poorly crafted here, probably poorly crafted in many states. Probably should be a measurable national standard, since everybody goes from state to state. Not possible to know what might be needed unless you know what you have. The law is the place to start.
Change would meet guaranteed resistance for multiple reasons. Some people are not comfortable driving with only the standard brightness available on factory equipment. They need more light for them to see and drive safely, even though their increase may make it more dangerous for others. Some people resist any new regulation, just because it is a new regulation whether bad or good. Look how long people took to get used to being required to wear seat-belts, yet who could argue it is a bad regulation, not admitting it generally saves lives?
Why would anybody, not be concerned with their state laws? That is not a conservative way to live.
thats funny,, youre concerned that laws are followed,,

Why is it "funny"?
Wow, you ARE a whiny little bitch. :laugh:

President Biden. Say it! :laugh:

Why is it "funny"?

when did I whine??

just find it funny that a dem would complain about laws not being followed,, I'm all for it,,

As I age my eyes seem to be sensitive to lights more in traffic. They seem to be brighter. And this does not include the people who have extra lights on their cars. Anyone believe that vehicle lights are to bright?
Night vision gets harder as you get older. The glare from oncoming headlights can blind you. Try to look at the white line at the edge of the road instead of the center
Yeah I remember in the 1980s when my grandfather was still alive he refused to drive at night because he couldn't handle the on coming traffic lights, so it's just an age thing

Why is it "funny"?

when did I whine??

just find it funny that a dem would complain about laws not being followed,, I'm all for it,,

Every post you plop makes less sense than the last one.

Where the fuck do you see "dems" in a thread about friggin HEADLIGHTS? Might want to have a shrink look at that personality disorder. Your aim is off.

Why is it "funny"?

when did I whine??

Every post you plop makes less sense than the last one.

Where the fuck do you see "dems" in a thread about friggin HEADLIGHTS? Might want to have a shrink look at that personality disorder. Your aim is off.
cant wait to see the next thing you complain about,,,

The worst is people who have lifted and put on huge diameter tires on their pickup truck or 4x4 vehicle and never had their headlights readjusted for the new height. Now even with low beams their headlights blind everyone on the road at night. ... :cool:

YES. These yahoos in Pointless Pickups tailgating at night with their elevated headlights pointing directly into my rearview. :death:

Lock the brakes up and watch a redneck land in your back seat...

:)

As I age my eyes seem to be sensitive to lights more in traffic. They seem to be brighter. And this does not include the people who have extra lights on their cars. Anyone believe that vehicle lights are to bright?
Night vision gets harder as you get older. The glare from oncoming headlights can blind you. Try to look at the white line at the edge of the road instead of the center
Yeah I remember in the 1980s when my grandfather was still alive he refused to drive at night because he couldn't handle the on coming traffic lights, so it's just an age thing
My night vision isn’t what it used to be

Hwy driving or on roads I am very familiar with, I am Ok

But driving on an unfamiliar, winding road at night is very difficult

thats funny,, youre concerned that laws are followed,,
You from the anarchist guild or something? I am fairly conservative, especially on safety and safety regulations. Been an accident investigator (school trained for aviation and ground accident) and Safety Officer. In civilian world, my plant had better safety record than most any other plant in the corporation, though all plants were involved in the exact same production/operational hazards. How's your safety record?

Lock the brakes up and watch a redneck land in your back seat...

:)

Sometimes I'll tap my 4-ways for a blink or two. Wake 'em up.

Have you been checked for glaucoma by an ophthalmologist?

Light sensitivity and reduced night vision are possible symptoms of it.

The brighter new lights would not be so bad if they aimed them better.
But with the blackouts in Europe in WWII, they discovered it was safer to not use headlights at all, but just parking lights, as long as there are adequate street lights.
The red and amber parking lights make the presence of the vehicle known without blinding anyone.
That makes it easier for driver to then see pedestrians, who have no lights at all.

What ? the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has been pushing the automakers to improve head light performance for the last 10 years. Headlights

Get some glasses, My wife has special perscription glasses for night driving.

The cars with the blue HID headlights are really bright to oncoming traffic. Something about that blue tint is especially blinding, if caught at the right angle.

Have you been checked for glaucoma by an ophthalmologist?

Light sensitivity and reduced night vision are possible symptoms of it.

Righthanded Jimi is that you??

That is not the only issue. How about emergency vehicles? It seems everything must be ten times brighter and ten times louder. Perhaps it is because of accidents and lawsuits in every way.

Forum List

Back