Victory: Wisconsin Teachers Just Voted to Disband Their Teachers Union

The funny thing is that the teacher unions go out of their way to keep non-teaching experts out of classrooms. There was an article I read a few months back (and can't find) that a professor who taught Chinese at the university level got a state grant to teach Chinese to kids. It's kind of a big deal to make sure kids in America can talk to one of the biggest economies in the world. The teacher union filed a complain that this professor was taking a job from a teacher. Of course there was no teacher available to teach Chinese. However, the professor's program was ended because of the union contract.

There have been other examples of this where local experts have offered their time to teach kids, like local business leaders offering to teach business classes or broadcast professionals offering to set up broadcasting classes. The unions fight it tooth and nail and invariably the programs are killed. The local experts can't become teachers because the contracts won't allow part time teachers but the unions aren't providing alternatives or people who can do the things the experts offer.

I fail to see how that benefits the children.

A leader in a teachers union told me once "document, document" if the the principles document the teachers behaviour it is easer to get rid of the bad ones. what I would like to see is teaches get the respect they need, not just from the school boards but from the rest. I cant' think of a profession with lower moral then teaching.

In Georgia average salary is 53K a year plus benefits which average 10K a year.
9 months
7K a month. $1750 a week. $350 A DAY on average. $45 A HOUR ON AVERAGE.
AND they claim they are underpaid.

Well given the importance of their job and education level they might be underpaid. Your the guy who's ok with CEO's making 300X the average worker right?

9 months

Well given the importance of their job and education level they might be underpaid. Your the guy who's ok with CEO's making 300X the average worker right?

I am for everyone and anyone maximizing their skills and talents.
I come from a family of teachers: father, grandmother, sister, aunt and cousin.
Who makes $45 a hour with a degree in education in the private sector?
For 9 months of work getting $45 a hour is damn good pay.
More power to them but they need to get off their high horse thinking they are something special. They are getting paid to do their job.

9 months

More power to them but they need to get off their high horse thinking they are something special. They are getting paid to do their job.

I think teaching is something special compared to most jobs. Is your job more important than teaching a room full of students? Is so explain why?

I think teaching is something special compared to most jobs. Is your job more important than teaching a room full of students? Is so explain why?

No, I do not go around believing I am special.
Teachers answer to who pays them, same as everyone else.
We pay the salaries of the teachers so explain to me how come we do not get a seat at the bargaining table when their union rep does?

A teacher that does a good job teaching is a special teacher.
The job itself is a word. It takes actions to be a special teacher.
And I am a big supporter of the public schools. All 3 of my kids went to public schools and public universities. Have had 2 in college at the same time for 10 years now!
But please do not tell me that all teachers are special and doing a great job.

And I am a big supporter of the public schools. All 3 of my kids went to public schools and public universities. Have had 2 in college at the same time for 10 years now!

I'm not going to say all are doing a great job. But you look at level of pay, importance of job, and education they are definitely not over paid.

We pay the salaries of the teachers so explain to me how come we do not get a seat at the bargaining table when their union rep does?

You do. It's called your locally elected school board member. All you have to do is call him or her. But first you'll have to find out who he or she is since you probably don't remember who was on your ballot.

Weekends off, Several Weeks paid Holiday time off, Summers off, great Taxpayer-funded Government benefits etc etc... Oh, the horror. Yeah, you poor Teachers have it soo rough. I'll call the UN for ya. The Geneva Convention is clearly being violated. Your torture has to end. We're gonna get justice for ya. ;)

Last edited:
Ah, just love it when organized labor takes a well-deserved kick to their collective nuts.

Way to go Wisconsin teachers. Late, but a good move nonetheless.

Aw come on man, dem Teachers got it real rough. I just called the UN. Them & Obama are gonna investigate Geneva Convention violations. Their torture will be coming to an end soon. :)

You do. It's called your locally elected school board member. All you have to do is call him or her. But first you'll have to find out who he or she is since you probably don't remember who was on your ballot.

Very easy to see you have a hard time defining who you are so you stoop to making weak assumptions of who everyone else is.
I had 3 kids all go the same elementary, middle and high school. The chairman of the school board in this county is a good friend of mine as I coached his older son many years in rec ball. I knew most all of the teachers of my children as neighbors and friends. I have lived here for 30 years, through many different school boards. I know them all. We are a close community here and oppose outside mob union bosses corrupting our children and the schools.
You can have all the mob rule union thugs you want where you are. We do not support thugs with baseball bats hitting 55 year old women wanting to feed their kids that cross union picket lines wanting to work.
And we aim to keep it that way. Get used to it. We won, mob rule unions got their asses kicked.No unions for teachers. Period. We pay their salaries and if they don't like it they can go live where you do.
No cry babies. Get over it.
Delta is ready when they are.

FoxNews at least tells the story correctly, from the link above: "Teachers from one of Wisconsin’s largest unions have jumped ship — voting overwhelmingly to abandon the group in the latest in a string of setbacks for the struggling labor movement following Gov. Scott Walker’s union overhaul two years ago.

The decision this week to disband by members of the Kenosha Education Association came after the organization was stripped of its certification and told it had lost its power to bargain for base wages with the district. The group was decertified after missing a key deadline in the annual reapplication process."

The members are free to join any other union, and that has been ignored by the poster and the source.

Wow very selective picking of the story there Jakie! The reason they were stripped is because they couldn't get the 51% of the pool to join up as JUSTIFIABLY required by the law. If over half opt-out then they shouldn't be certified to represent that whole!

Interesting side note: I was in Kenosha over the weekend for my son's traveling hockey game. Now the signs I saw make sense!

Weekends off, Several Weeks paid Holiday time off, Summers off, great Taxpayer-funded Government benefits etc etc... Oh, the horror. Yeah, you poor Teachers have it soo rough. I'll call the UN for ya. The Geneva Convention is clearly being violated. Your torture has to end. We're gonna get justice for ya. ;)

Sounds like things we should all have.

They are highly educated and doing a difficult and extremely important job.

Sounds like things we should all have.

They are highly educated and doing a difficult and extremely important job.

I agree. But their bitchin & whining is disproportionate. They actually have it pretty good. They enjoy fantastic perks most other professions don't enjoy. They're not gonna get rich working in Taxpayer-funded Institutions. Taxpayer resources are finite. But they can live quite well. They're just crying wolf these days. The Taxpayers have caught on.

Last edited:

I'm not going to say all are doing a great job. But you look at level of pay, importance of job, and education they are definitely not over paid.

That's because they don't pay the high achievers huge salaries and cut the bottom performers. On average it's good pay for the requirements. Want higher pay for the great ones? Demand and pay for higher performance.

Correct. My insurance agent is on our local school board and (in my opinion) is the only "decent" and "reasonable" person on that board. It was he that I went through to get my grand daughters teacher reassigned from her classroom to another (before I removed her completely from that cess pool in favor of private schooling) when she (the "teacher") stated that "America SHOULD be attacked again because it is an evil country". I wanted her terminated IMMEDIATELY (after it was proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that she had, indeed, told her class this) but the "union" wouldn't have any part of it.

My one major complaint about the public school system is that they are nothing more than project battle grounds for the social engineers of this country. Here's an idea...try teaching our children reading, writing and arithmetic so we aren't the laughing stock of the world any longer. This country USED to be the envy of the world with our public education system.

FoxNews at least tells the story correctly, from the link above: "Teachers from one of Wisconsin’s largest unions have jumped ship — voting overwhelmingly to abandon the group in the latest in a string of setbacks for the struggling labor movement following Gov. Scott Walker’s union overhaul two years ago.

The decision this week to disband by members of the Kenosha Education Association came after the organization was stripped of its certification and told it had lost its power to bargain for base wages with the district. The group was decertified after missing a key deadline in the annual reapplication process."

The members are free to join any other union, and that has been ignored by the poster and the source.

The reason they were stripped is because they couldn't get the 51% of the pool to join up as JUSTIFIABLY required by the law.

Which documents my more informative statement.

Thank you for helping.

Forum List

Back