Was I wrong?

I seek guidance. What I don't want is to be dissuaded of a belief. I seek this guidance to understand where I fall so far in my journey through life. I have been told I was unmerciful, classless, or even sociopathic for holding these beliefs. I hold that I am right, so whether I myself think I am wrong is inconsequential.

Am I wrong for believing these things? If so, why?

Here is some guidance.

You created a topic called "I am sorry for the friends I have lost, a monologue of regret."

The thing about sociopaths is... we don't feel regret. We don't feel sorry for the friends we've lost. Any emotion we appear to express is merely an illusion we create to manipulate you. Notice the smiley face :)

So no, you aren't a sociopath, and you aren't "unmerciful". I think you're either confused, or trying to sound "badder" than you are.

However, if you wanna prove to yourself how sociopathic and unmerciful you can be, go do some hardcore felony criminal s*** with complete disregard to human life. Don't f*** it up though, because in this game, the losers can lose their future- or their life. I'm rootin' for you ;-)

Last edited:
I seek guidance. What I don't want is to be dissuaded of a belief. I seek this guidance to understand where I fall so far in my journey through life. I have been told I was unmerciful, classless, or even sociopathic for holding these beliefs. I hold that I am right, so whether I myself think I am wrong is inconsequential.

We have all heard about the mass killing involving Elliot Rodger. We all heard what one Richard Martinez said in regards to the death of his son, Christopher. He blamed the NRA and 'craven politicians' for his death. He pleaded, "When will this insanity end?!", "How many more must die?"

Now, I believe that he is going through untold amounts of grief over his son. That much is not in doubt. But I also believe he dishonored his son by using him as a means to an end, by attacking gun rights advocates, politicians, and innocent bystanders. I believe his grief did not absolve of the dishonor he wrought.

I think he is reprehensible for using his son in such a manner. I believe that nobody should politicize the death of innocents, even if one of them happens to be their own. I cannot have pity on a father who willfully takes on more grief by needlessly using his own son as a weapon.

Some will say, "I can understand why he lashed out at the NRA, politicians, and others. I would do the same if I lost my son or daughter in a shooting. He doesn't deserve to be attacked."

I contend that he brought those attacks on himself, and deservedly so. Grief does not absolve you of the consequences of what you say. It does not excuse you using it and your dead loved one to wantonly attack those who had nothing to do whatsoever with his death.

I think so, yes.
I also think you're a fucking hypocrite to use the incident to promote your own agenda while berating a victim's father for what he said.

"His grief, his anger, his sorrow... is no justification for dishonoring the dead" in no way dishonors the dead.

If the father misassigns the blame, so be it. It does not dishonor the dead.

We have all heard about the mass killing involving Elliot Rodger. We all heard what one Richard Martinez said in regards to the death of his son, Christopher. He blamed the NRA and 'craven politicians' for his death. He pleaded, "When will this insanity end?!", "How many more must die?"

Now, I believe that he is going through untold amounts of grief over his son. That much is not in doubt. But I also believe he dishonored his son by using him as a means to an end, by attacking gun rights advocates, politicians, and innocent bystanders. I believe his grief did not absolve of the dishonor he wrought.

I think he is reprehensible for using his son in such a manner. I believe that nobody should politicize the death of innocents, even if one of them happens to be their own. I cannot have pity on a father who willfully takes on more grief by needlessly using his own son as a weapon.

Some will say, "I can understand why he lashed out at the NRA, politicians, and others. I would do the same if I lost my son or daughter in a shooting. He doesn't deserve to be attacked."

I contend that he brought those attacks on himself, and deservedly so. Grief does not absolve you of the consequences of what you say. It does not excuse you using it and your dead loved one to wantonly attack those who had nothing to do whatsoever with his death.

I think so, yes.
I also think you're a fucking hypocrite to use the incident to promote your own agenda while berating a victim's father for what he said.

I'll ask you the same thing I asked Pogo. Can you prove I had an agenda? Or could it simply be because I'm upset that he used his dead son to advance his own? Explain why he should be shielded from the consequences of his words? How am I a hypocrite? Nobody has shown me where I used this to advance an agenda. So rather than insulting me... explain to me thoughtfully why I am wrong.

I think, that when one loses a loved one, like a son, extreme grief and rage will be expressed. Whether the man said those things out of rage and grief and didn't mean it, or does mean them... he has that right, and I think few of us can understand the white hot iron that dug deep into his soul that day, and brought those beliefs up to the surface.

He's a man in extreme emotional pain. We should be sensitive to that. How many of us have lost a son or daughter this way?

Last edited:
How many fathers use their dead loved ones to make that kind of point though? Grief or no, pain or no, it was wrong. Why must he get an excuse? Why am I the only one that saw this?

How many fathers use their dead loved ones to make that kind of point though? Grief or no, pain or no, it was wrong. Why must he get an excuse? Why am I the only one that saw this?

I suspect—am not certain—that this man did not subscribe to a pro-gun stance before this tragedy occurred. Having the life of his young son taken by a madman with a gun is the stressor that exacerbated his beliefs, because grief and rage are now added to the mix. I think it's wrong to assume he's using his son's death as a political tool; his view changed because his son was murdered this way. It's like someone not being in favor of pitbulls in certain areas, whose two little twin girls were torn to bloody pieces by a rabid pitbull.

TK, I implore you to try and understand the hell this man is dealing with, and forgive him his grief and anger. He's hurting, and I think the best thing we can do is have sympathy for those who have lost their loved ones.

Dude...stop with all the apologetic threads. You have nothing to feel sorry about.
If you want to criticize any short comings you may feel in your journey through life thats fine. But I feel those are personal matters that you need to figure out. Because nothing you've ever said shows a lack of character in my view.
Dont get me wrong though,I question my stance on a lot of things,but thats not a fault,thats a virtue.

It is reprehensible to use the death of a loved one to push a political agenda, to politically provoke someone. That is irreverent, it is disrespectful, and dishonorable.

If that is what he actually believes it is not.

Christ to republicans EVERYTHING is a conspiracy or entirely about politics.

Does it ever occur to you that MAYBE that guy isn't trying to push a conspiracy on you or win political points... and ACTUALLY thinks this wouldn't have happened in a country with less of a gun culture?

No kidding.

It is reprehensible to use the death of a loved one to push a political agenda, to politically provoke someone. That is irreverent, it is disrespectful, and dishonorable.

As already correctly noted, you have no evidence that his statements weren’t make in good faith, a sincere belief in what he said absent a political ‘agenda.’

Forum List

Back