Was Yeshua gay?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Old topic I know, but it came to me the other night. Single Jewish guy, discontent with Judaism starts going around with a dozen other single Jewish malcontents reinventing the faith where after recognizing God, the 2nd most important commandment is love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Given how much emphasis is placed on Jews to marry, an unmarried Jewish man who gets followers is more than slightly suspect. Could it be they were all gay and flocked together to start a new cult where that's ok? Other than the hag Mary Magdalene, it was a total sausage fest.

Paul even had a devotee' madly in love with him, Thecla but rebuffed her affections and advances. That's not normative Jewish behaviour. Especially among the religious types. It's said even today that Jews should marry so their not obsessing on sexual desires and thoughts. And to be unmarried is just shy of actual sin. Rabbis wont welcome you into their homes if not married fearing that sexual immorality thinking coming into their home. It's not a matter of being free to choose to remain single like today. It would have been a huge red flag back then. And one standout is plausible, but 13?

It is thought by some Christian scholars that Paul's "thorn in the flesh" was homosexuality. I have never considered Jesus as a possibility. His disciples were married, i believe. However, Jesus never mentions homosexuality. Paul almost obsesses over the topic mentioning it several times, directly and indirectly.

It is thought by some Christian scholars that Paul's "thorn in the flesh" was homosexuality. I have never considered Jesus as a possibility. His disciples were married, i believe. However, Jesus never mentions homosexuality. Paul almost obsesses over the topic mentioning it several times, directly and indirectly.

Homosexuality as a word didn't exist 2,000 years ago. Didn't get coined until the 19th century if I recall. 'Buggery' was first in England. In the ancient world though, Israel area, it wouldn't have even existed. Romans certainly didn't distinguish it. Most they made out of the differences was who penetrated, vs got penetrated. But they had no terms for gay or straight like we do now.

Old topic I know, but it came to me the other night. Single Jewish guy, discontent with Judaism starts going around with a dozen other single Jewish malcontents reinventing the faith where after recognizing God, the 2nd most important commandment is love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Given how much emphasis is placed on Jews to marry, an unmarried Jewish man who gets followers is more than slightly suspect. Could it be they were all gay and flocked together to start a new cult where that's ok? Other than the hag Mary Magdalene, it was a total sausage fest.

Paul even had a devotee' madly in love with him, Thecla but rebuffed her affections and advances. That's not normative Jewish behaviour. Especially among the religious types. It's said even today that Jews should marry so their not obsessing on sexual desires and thoughts. And to be unmarried is just shy of actual sin. Rabbis wont welcome you into their homes if not married fearing that sexual immorality thinking coming into their home. It's not a matter of being free to choose to remain single like today. It would have been a huge red flag back then. And one standout is plausible, but 13?
Going by your posts this morning, it seems that you are having a rough time reconciling your bi-sexuality and your religious convictions.

If you were Christian, I would advise you to seek out some elders in the church, as you are Jewish, I don't know if you have anything that resembles elders in the church, other than just older Jews.

7 Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7 I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.

8 Now to the unmarried[a] and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

-1 Corinthians 7

Bold bit is curious. :) What immorality was occuring if it's good not to have sex with women? :)

Jesus only hung around with guys.
He wore a dress.
He only banged a woman once to see if he'd like it. "Once" means he didn't like it.
He rode the gay pride symbol of the day, the donkey. As only women rode donkeys.
He looks effeminate in nearly all the painting of him.
He looks pretty buff too.
I dunno, but if it quacks like a duck...

The Bible says that Jesus was a righteous Rabbi who taught the Torah and never violated any of it's 613 laws.

Based in that; Jesus was opposed to sodomy and taught that it was a grave sin and an abomination to G-d.

He wore a dress.
He only banged a woman once to see if he'd like it. "Once" means he didn't like it.
He rode the gay pride symbol of the day, the donkey. As only women rode donkeys.
:trolls:

"Do you see a man wise in his own eyes?
There is more hope for a fool than for him."
(Proverbs 26:12)

He wore a dress.
:trolls:
What's the matter, you can't handle the truth? Jesus never had a gf.

The Bible says that Jesus was a righteous Rabbi who taught the Torah and never violated any of it's 613 laws.

Based in that; Jesus was opposed to sodomy and taught that it was a grave sin and an abomination to G-d.

Where's the BIble say he was a righteous rabbi who never broke any of the 613 laws? Broke many of the laws including Sabbath restrictions, if he never married he didn't 'be fruitful and multiply,' defiled the synagogue seeing the money-changers thing, etc.

Where's it say he was opposed to sodomy for that matter?

Where's the BIble say he was a righteous rabbi who never broke any of the 613 laws? Broke many of the laws including Sabbath restrictions, if he never married he didn't 'be fruitful and multiply,' defiled the synagogue seeing the money-changers thing, etc.

Where's it say he was opposed to sodomy for that matter?
Once again, the Bible says that Jesus was a righteous teacher (Rabbi) who taught the law (Torah) and never broke any of the commandments (Mitzvot).

Matthew 5: 17-19 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.…

Here are the 613 >> Judaism 101 A List of the 613 Mitzvot Commandments which lists sodomy (homosexuality) as a sin.

Also, not being married wasn't a commandment or listed as a sin.

Once again, the Bible says that Jesus was a righteous teacher (Rabbi) who taught the law (Torah) and never broke any of the commandments (Mitzvot).

Matthew 5: 17-19 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished.19 "Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.…

Here are the 613 >> Judaism 101 A List of the 613 Mitzvot Commandments which lists sodomy (homosexuality) as a sin.

Also, not being married wasn't a commandment or listed as a sin.

Ah, so you were paraphrasing. Trouble there is words matter. "Righteous rabbi" and "never broke the law" is not in any part of what you quoted. Jesus can say anything he likes, including he hasn't come toc hange but to fulfill the law, but he still broke it. That much is beyond dispute.

Well, if he was fond of calling himself God, the First Commandment comes to mind.

Telling people to leave their mother and father and follow him isn't honoring mother and father so Third Commandment. If wearing crucifixes is cool with him, 2nd Commandment.

Turning water into wine could be construed as witchcraft. Certainly magic.

Others detailed here:
Which Commandments Did Jesus Break - Good News Magazine United Church of God

"It may come as a shock to realize that Jesus broke any commandments. But He did. And knowing which commandments He broke and why He broke them is important for you to understand."

Well, if he was fond of calling himself God, the First Commandment comes to mind.

Telling people to leave their mother and father and follow him isn't honoring mother and father so Third Commandment. If wearing crucifixes is cool with him, 2nd Commandment.

Turning water into wine could be construed as witchcraft. Certainly magic.

Others detailed here:
Which Commandments Did Jesus Break - Good News Magazine United Church of God

"It may come as a shock to realize that Jesus broke any commandments. But He did. And knowing which commandments He broke and why He broke them is important for you to understand."
Jesus never called himself G-d ........other people later on did.

The crucifix was an invention of later Christian doctrine...........the actual untranslated word in the Greek NT was either a "stake" or a "tree".

Jesus never advocated not honoring a person's mother or father when he told certain disciples to follow him.

When performing the water into wine miracle, Jesus gave all of the credit to G-d not himself.

Again, Jesus never broke any of the 613 mitzvot.

Jesus taught at the Temple in Jerusalem so obviously he was a righteous Rabbi. ...... :cool:

Jesus never called himself G-d ........other people later on did.

The crucifix was an invention of later Christian doctrine...........the actual untranslated word in the Greek NT was either a "stake" or a "tree".

Jesus never advocated not honoring a person's mother or father when he told certain disciples to follow him.

When performing the water into wine miracle, Jesus gave all of the credit to G-d not himself.

Again, Jesus never broke any of the 613 mitzvot.

Jesus taught at the Temple in Jerusalem so obviously he was a righteous Rabbi. ...... :cool:

Did Yeshua ever teach, walk around outside his home, do anything like work or labor on the Sabbath? Unless every Sabbath he was at home, the simple act of leaving your place of residence is a death-penalty sin.

Not to travel on Shabbat outside the limits of one's place of residence (Ex. 16:29)

Homosexuality as a word didn't exist 2,000 years ago. Didn't get coined until the 19th century if I recall. 'Buggery' was first in England. In the ancient world though, Israel area, it wouldn't have even existed. Romans certainly didn't distinguish it. Most they made out of the differences was who penetrated, vs got penetrated. But they had no terms for gay or straight like we do now.

In the Koine Greek, Paul used the word arsenokoitai later translated as homosexual. Many people in the ancient world were involved in pederasty which was not considered homosexual behavior. I believe that is what you are referring to. Most of the time, the men did not penetrate but instead inserted their penis between the legs of their partners rather than anally. Ultimately, what is considered "homosexual" is culturally bound and subjective.

7 Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7 I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.

8 Now to the unmarried[a] and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I do. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

-1 Corinthians 7

Bold bit is curious. :) What immorality was occuring if it's good not to have sex with women? :)

Paul is merely referring to the gift of celibacy, as a single man, free of marital and familial responsibilities, can more fully devout himself to the ministry.

Forum List

Back