Well? What did you have for dinner tonight??

Had bought the stuff for a lasagna last month but kept putting it off until night before last. 3 layer cheese lasagna. Mozzarela, some 3 cheese blend thing, that cottage cheese sorta cheese and 2 small jars of garlic n herb sauce. Baked at 450F for about 70 mins covered in foil, perfect.

This was from sunday, but I have almost gotten my Grandmother's Mac and Cheese recipie down pat. And before you scoff at it, yes Cheez Whiz makes it awesome.

1.5 lbs pasta (I prefer cavatelli)
5 tbsp butter
5 tbsp flour
1 quart whole milk
1 jar cheez whiz
1/2 cup of pecorino romano
pinch of nutmeg
breadcrumbs to coat.

make the roux, add about 2 cups of milk then the cheez whiz. use the remaining milk to get it to the right consistency (may need 5 cups).
add the nutmeg, and get to a low simmer.

Make the pasta, drain. cook slightly underdone. pour the pasta into the sauce (use a big enough pot for the sauce to allow this). mix to coat.

Add to baking pan, cover generously with breadcrumbs then put in oven for 30 minutes, or until breadcrumbs are brown and top layer of pasta is slightly hard.

I make mine pretty much the same except I use a combination of Velveeta that I cut into cubes and sharp cheddar that I grate. I also use crackers for a topping instead of breadcrumbs, usually Ritz or Townhouse. :)

Oh, and I also use about a teaspoon of dried mustard. It really gives the mac and cheese that authentic flavor. You should try that. It's delicious, and that one little teaspoon really does make a difference.

Here is my mac and cheese recipe. As you can see it's very similar to Marty's with a couple of little differences.

Ingredients:

8 oz elbow pasta (or pasta of your choice)
2 tbs butter
2 tbs flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard
2-1/2 cups milk (this should be WARM milk BTW)
pepper to taste (you can use white pepper but I don't mind the black flecks from black pepper)
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar
1 cup (at least - I "heart" cheese lol) Velveeta cubed
1/4 cup crushed crackers mixed with 1 or 2 tbs olive oil (until it appears "sand" like in consistency - this gives the best brown crusty topping - yummy!)

Recipe:

In a heavy bottom pot, melt butter on low to low/med heat, mix in flour, salt and dry mustard
Cook mixture for about 2 minutes
Add warm milk
beat well until mixture starts to thicken and will coat a spoon
turn off heat
add cheeses a little at a time and stir until melted
Meanwhile, cook pasta al dente
add pepper to cheese mixture and mix well one last time
pour macaroni in oven safe casserole dish and add cheese mixture, stir well (I always add some chunks of Velveeta and stir those in too)
Sprinkle on topping and spread well over top
Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes to half an hour or until cheese starts to bubble.

We're all eating leftover mac & cheese today.....I ate it last night, too..after my freaking ROOT CANAL it worked out pretty well.

I don't know what we're having tonight..probably soup.

But tomorrow my son and his family are coming for supper...so I've decided this is what we're having:

384820.jpg

Baked Teriyaki Chicken Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I have a couple of big packages of chicken thighs, that looks good.

We'll have it with scalloped potatoes, I think:

i.1002.mLfddLzFjATnWbPPjyddQmJC7Fb0HRZmDZMEEdUDVos..jpg

Best Ever Scalloped Potatoes No Dairy Recipe Just A Pinch Recipes

Not thinking of tonight ..but I'm in double mind if I will have chicken or turkey ....for Thanks giving or New Year...you know...what will it be?

don't know yet....and don't care either...is something wrong with me?

I am completetly indifferent to it..... totally indifferent. is that normal?

Not thinking of tonight ..but I'm in double mind if I will have chicken or turkey ....for Thanks giving or New Year...you know...what will it be?

Yes its normal. We like honey baked ham for New Years. Pork and sauerkraut is supposes to bring you luck for the nrw year.
We're going out for Thanksgiving. To a nice restaurant.

Yes its normal. We like honey baked ham for New Years. Pork and sauerkraut is supposes to bring you luck for the nrw year.

Luck for you too darling!

Enjoy your dinner! :)

Luck for you too darling!

Enjoy your dinner! :)
You too, Skye. :)

I just came into a whole bunch of venison, so that's what I'll be eating for probably the next month. :D It's great though, I won't have to buy any meat except for if I want chicken or something, but I figure with Thanksgiving coming up, I'll have a lot of leftover turkey anyways. :)

We're all eating leftover mac & cheese today.....I ate it last night, too..after my freaking ROOT CANAL it worked out pretty well.

I don't know what we're having tonight..probably soup.

But tomorrow my son and his family are coming for supper...so I've decided this is what we're having:

384820.jpg

Baked Teriyaki Chicken Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I have a couple of big packages of chicken thighs, that looks good.

We'll have it with scalloped potatoes, I think:

i.1002.mLfddLzFjATnWbPPjyddQmJC7Fb0HRZmDZMEEdUDVos..jpg

Best Ever Scalloped Potatoes No Dairy Recipe Just A Pinch Recipes

Yummy! That looks like a fantastic dinner! :tongue:

I had venison steaks, corn (canned corn unfortunately - still good though), homemade garlic bread, and mashed potatoes with gravy. It was very good, but it was raining so I cooked in the house. I don't really like making steaks and hamburgers indoors too much.

Meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Just like mom used to make, well, better. I use very lean ground beef, 6 grain bread for the bread crumbs, Herbs d'Provence, ground flax seed, Worcestershire sauce. But still, good comfort food. :)

Tonight I had to use up some leftover mashed potatoes, so I made a shepherds pie with venison/pork combo ground meat. I cooked that up with some red onion, garlic, smoked paprika and a little bit of cayan pepper. Then I threw in some canned corn and heated that up and then spread it in the pie plate, grated some cheddar cheese and put that on top and then spread the potatoes on top of that. I then made some gravy for it. It was delicious and best of all, it's a whole meal in one dish! :)

New year's eve...had homemade meatballs and a gorgonzola salad.

New year's day...family tradition to have mustard/roasted garlic crusted filet mignon with gorgonzola cream sauce, baked potatoes, and veg (spinach this year with garlic, oil, and red pepper flakes), garlic rolls, and salad. Lots of garlic...as long as everyone eats it we're all good! FYI: the sauce is super easy and an Ina Garten recipe

Forum List

Back