West Allegheny Middle School Parents Pursuing Possible Lawsuit Over Anti-Bullying Program

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
West Allegheny Middle School Parents Pursuing Possible Lawsuit Over Anti-Bullying Program

During an exercise at the Jan. 15 workshop, students were asked questions amongst their peers and then “grouped” based on their answers.
There were more than two dozen questions. The statements included:
“Please move to the middle of the circle if:”

• You have been impacted by drugs or alcohol
  • You have been called fat or made fun of
  • You or someone close to you identifies as gay, lesbian, or transgendered
  • You have been impacted by mental challenges or learning disabilities
  • You or your family has ever worried about not having enough money
  • You or someone close to you has been imprisoned
  • You have been raised by a single parent

The district says students were told they did not have to share if they did not feel comfortable, but parents say they wish they would have seen the questions prior to the workshop.
“There is now so much damage done to these children and there is no way to go back and make this better for them,” said Diane Kolesar.

This is insane and I hope these parents win millions of dollars to deter other school districts from doing the same thing.

During an exercise at the Jan. 15 workshop, students were asked questions amongst their peers and then “grouped” based on their answers.
There were more than two dozen questions. The statements included:
“Please move to the middle of the circle if:”

• You have been impacted by drugs or alcohol
  • You have been called fat or made fun of
  • You or someone close to you identifies as gay, lesbian, or transgendered
  • You have been impacted by mental challenges or learning disabilities
  • You or your family has ever worried about not having enough money
  • You or someone close to you has been imprisoned
  • You have been raised by a single parent

The district says students were told they did not have to share if they did not feel comfortable, but parents say they wish they would have seen the questions prior to the workshop.
“There is now so much damage done to these children and there is no way to go back and make this better for them,” said Diane Kolesar.

This is insane and I hope these parents win millions of dollars to deter other school districts from doing the same thing.

So what was wrong with the questions? It is designed to show students they are not alone in dealing with these issues.

Why show the questions to the parents? They might be the source of some of those issues.

Anyone defending this has gone off the deep end and there's nothing we can do to help them.

Doing such a thing does give the bullies ammunition like the one person said, but in my opinion, no one should have to be someone that they are not just so that they are spared in such a way. To me, lying about yourself is only going to make things worse, especially when it is learned that you are lying. To me, if you are not honest at least, then you most definitely lose all credibility.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. To me, if a bully doesn't like how another person's picture looks, what makes them think that they have the power to change the way that the person's picture is? Or is that the reason why they bully the person at all? Because they can't change the way that the person is?

Forum List

Back