What are Jack Chick tracts?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
"Jews[3], Muslims[4], Roman Catholics[5], Freemasons[6], Jehovah's Witnesses[7], Mormons[8], Buddhists[9], Hindus[10], people that practice witchcraft [11], homosexuals[12], evolutionists[13], Dungeons and Dragons players[14], and Rock n' Roll fans[15] have all been negatively portrayed in Chick's tracts, often being presented as subjects or tools of Satan. Chick has responded that he does not hate these individuals, but hates the system they belong to that is feverishly working to win millions of souls for Satan[16].

Criticism

Critics have argued that Chick's tracts rely on stereotypes, faulty logic, and conspiracy theories,[17] including suggesting that the Pope is the Antichrist.

Many Chick tracts depict unrealistic plots to help make their points. Often, Chick tracts depict children in elementary school who have never heard of Jesus, or purport that it is illegal to even discuss religion at all in school.

Several Chick tracts - including most famously "Lisa" (currently out of print), in which a father is heavily implied to have had sex with his preteen daughter and even given her an STD - depict morally-heinous actions as being instantly forgiven through the power of prayer or some similar action. While God does forgive even the most heinous sinners, it cannot be denied that tracts such as "Lisa" and similar present such earthly sins as being of little import to others. Other tracts imply that is is somehow "normal" for Christian parents to not mourn the death of their child if the child was not themselves a Christian. "
Jack Chick - Conservapedia

"I read a few Jack Chick comic tracts years ago. I do not use them.

1. I can not find any verification of the accuracy, and some of the stories are pretty wild so I would need to know if they are accurate.

2. The tracts tend to put people on the defensive, and when sharing about Jesus, I don't want to put people on the defensive about their own religious beliefs, but rather lead them into the truth about Jesus."

"Personally I feel he does more harm than good."

"I used to distribute them years ago.People recognize them immediately and throw them away."

" :24: I just looked some up! :24:

I wouldn't throw those away. They're priceless! But no, I wouldn't give them out with any seriousness in mind.

The one about the young boy who goes insane when he learns there is no Santa Clause, he turns into a serial killer. Because yeah, THAT'S how serial killers are made."

replies from,
Jack Chick - Controversial Issues - Worthy Christian Forums

"Legality

In the USA, Jack Chick's tracts are largely legal under the First Amendment of the Constitution, although some tracts may have been cause for slander and/or libel suits, such as "Dark Dungeons" which could have led to a lawsuit from TSR if they had chosen to file one. However, in many nations such as Canada, a few Chick tracts are illegal under various hate speech and defamation laws,[84][85] and they are considered seditious in Singapore.[86]
[edit] Questionable source material

Jack Chick is notorious for using questionable and just plain ludicrous "testimonies" as source material. Some (Rivera, Todd, and Brown) were since exposed as frauds, but Chick continues to publish those tracts and comics:

* Rebecca Brown
* Des Griffin
* Kent Hovind
* Alberto Rivera
* William Schnoebelen[87]
* John Todd "
Jack Chick - RationalWiki

"Jews[3], Muslims[4], Roman Catholics[5], Freemasons[6], Jehovah's Witnesses[7], Mormons[8], Buddhists[9], Hindus[10], people that practice witchcraft [11], homosexuals[12], evolutionists[13], Dungeons and Dragons players[14], and Rock n' Roll fans[15] have all been negatively portrayed in Chick's tracts, often being presented as subjects or tools of Satan. Chick has responded that he does not hate these individuals, but hates the system they belong to that is feverishly working to win millions of souls for Satan[16].

Criticism

Critics have argued that Chick's tracts rely on stereotypes, faulty logic, and conspiracy theories,[17] including suggesting that the Pope is the Antichrist.

Many Chick tracts depict unrealistic plots to help make their points. Often, Chick tracts depict children in elementary school who have never heard of Jesus, or purport that it is illegal to even discuss religion at all in school.

Several Chick tracts - including most famously "Lisa" (currently out of print), in which a father is heavily implied to have had sex with his preteen daughter and even given her an STD - depict morally-heinous actions as being instantly forgiven through the power of prayer or some similar action. While God does forgive even the most heinous sinners, it cannot be denied that tracts such as "Lisa" and similar present such earthly sins as being of little import to others. Other tracts imply that is is somehow "normal" for Christian parents to not mourn the death of their child if the child was not themselves a Christian. "
Jack Chick - Conservapedia

"I read a few Jack Chick comic tracts years ago. I do not use them.

1. I can not find any verification of the accuracy, and some of the stories are pretty wild so I would need to know if they are accurate.

2. The tracts tend to put people on the defensive, and when sharing about Jesus, I don't want to put people on the defensive about their own religious beliefs, but rather lead them into the truth about Jesus."

"Personally I feel he does more harm than good."

"I used to distribute them years ago.People recognize them immediately and throw them away."

" :24: I just looked some up! :24:

I wouldn't throw those away. They're priceless! But no, I wouldn't give them out with any seriousness in mind.

The one about the young boy who goes insane when he learns there is no Santa Clause, he turns into a serial killer. Because yeah, THAT'S how serial killers are made."

replies from,
Jack Chick - Controversial Issues - Worthy Christian Forums

"Legality

In the USA, Jack Chick's tracts are largely legal under the First Amendment of the Constitution, although some tracts may have been cause for slander and/or libel suits, such as "Dark Dungeons" which could have led to a lawsuit from TSR if they had chosen to file one. However, in many nations such as Canada, a few Chick tracts are illegal under various hate speech and defamation laws,[84][85] and they are considered seditious in Singapore.[86]
[edit] Questionable source material

Jack Chick is notorious for using questionable and just plain ludicrous "testimonies" as source material. Some (Rivera, Todd, and Brown) were since exposed as frauds, but Chick continues to publish those tracts and comics:

* Rebecca Brown
* Des Griffin
* Kent Hovind
* Alberto Rivera
* William Schnoebelen[87]
* John Todd "
Jack Chick - RationalWiki

I've talked about Rivera
Someone else talked about John Todd
Hovind is infamously discredited on the board....

But Jerry won't listen!

Basically these little pamphlets written by a reclusive fundamentalist Christian artist as evangelism tools. They depict a dark fantasy take on the modern world in which Satan is a real and active entity who seeks to ruin people's lives and cause them to die without converting to Chick's personal denomination, which happens to be the one true religion of that world. One of his main tools is the Catholic Church, which is run by a secret Satanist cult originating from ancient Babylon. Another of his main tools is witchcraft. He tempts mortals to use unholy powers through several different means. The fantasy paper and pencil game Dungeons & Dragons is a prominent one he frequently uses to manipulate teenagers into giving their souls to him. The only force for good are the members of Chick's brand of religion. They try hard to expose the secret evils running the world and convince people to accept Jesus into themselves. Unfortunately, in harmony with the dark fantasy theme, almost nobody outside of their religion - even other Christians, such as lay Catholics - have even heard of Jesus before. Most people don't care for the pamphlets or their stories but they're actually pretty good so long as you accept and read them as the fantasy fiction they are rather than as genuine attempts to convert you to any belief system.

Curiously enough, there are expertly translated Esperanto translations of at least most of his stories. I'm not sure if this means the writer or any of his artists are fluent in the language but it does mean they're familiar with the "international language" enough to see it as worth a shot. I wonder if whoever made the decision realizes that the overwhelming majority of Esperantists make Greenpeace look like cold, uncaring, jackbooted archconservative theocrats...

In other words, Chick tracts fall under the literary genre:Fiction--Christian Spiritual Terror

I can accept--but some on this board claim it is true.....o_O

Forum List

Back