What are you listening to?

Just listened to Buddy Guy's latest CD, The Blues Is Alive And Well, while driving around tonight. It's fantastic, Buddy's vocals and guitar playing are still top notch. He recorded this one at 81 or 82 years old! And he's still performing live. If you like Buddy's music or blues music in general, pick this one up!
Buddy Guy, wow I had no idea he was still recording!
And Buddy isn't the oldest blues musician that's still performing. Jimmy Johnson, singer/guitarist/songwriter is 90 years old and he still performs a few times a month in Chicago. He hasn't been a very prolific artist, in terms of album/cd releases, but any of his music is worth checking out. I believe he's released just 11 or12 albums in his career. My favorite by him is Bar Room Preacher, on Alligator records, released in 1983-84. It's some wonderful, hard hitting blues.
I checked the 'net just to make sure Jimmy is still with us. He is, and he's 91 years old, not 90, and he's still performing!

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

I have spend two days relistening to all my Arab Strap records, excellent two days.

Arab Strap "Blackness" from "Fukd i.d. # 2" on Chemikal Underground Records released in 2000. "Blackness" is the B Side the A Side is "Rocket, Take Your Turn"

upload_2020-1-1_2-4-32.png

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

So this now 8 months later above first posting # 10087 my Arab Strap post. During my away for the 8 months I give the hug to Pogo for caring for our excellent joint thread and also to Kat and Coyote for helping that this thread stay friendly and happy and only on the Music subject and that the thread stay not derailed and Off Topic with arguing etc.

Forum List

Back