What did our founders really mean when they said “general welfare”?

Did you? It's failed opinion.
I wrote it, dipfuck. You morons can't comprehend the debate the founders were having, much less form a coherent opinion about it. Have you ever actually read any history? Read anything about the Constitution? Are you aware that Madison wrote the Constitution? Is there any point in my going on? Or will you just respond with another "Nuh-uh" and claim victory?

Last edited:
That is a failed opinion that has no meaning today.

Did you? It's failed opinion.
Cut to the chase beggars….
Do you believe “promote the general welfare” means….
”Pay ShaQuita and Guadalupe to make liabilities / babies”?
Does it mean “pay for DaShawn’s weekly sack of chronic”?
Does it mean “provide Humberto with his case of Modelo”?
OR
Does it mean….
Pay for public education, for public safety, for emergency services, for infrastructure, for public transportation, for clean air and water…OR even….for public parks and rec…etc etc

There only commies are in your fantasies.
1728255152863.jpeg

I wrote it, dipfuck. You morons can't comprehend the debate the founders were having, much less form a coherent opinion about it. Have you ever actually read any history? Read anything about the Constitution? Are you aware that Madison wrote the Constitution? Is there any point in my going on? Or will you just respond with another "Nuh-uh" and claim victory?
Does not matter what you think. It matters how SCOTUS has interpreted and ruled on it since.

Means do what is in the best interests of the country

Would you prefer Yolanda abort those kids she can’t support?
I would say talks about benefiting the entire country, not individuals living in it.

If it did mean what you think it does, show me the record of the founders living your interpretation.

I would say talks about benefiting the entire country, not individuals living in it.

If it did mean what you think it does, show me the record of the founders living your interpretation.
The real question isn't the definition of the term "general welfare", it's whether the clause containing it is a limitation on the taxation power, or an "implied power" to spend money, and legislate, outside the constraints of the enumerate powers.

The real question isn't the definition of the term "general welfare", it's whether the clause containing it is a limitation on the taxation power, or an "implied power" to spend money outside the constraints of the enumerate powers of Congress.
I would say its the latter.

The real question isn't the definition of the term "general welfare", it's whether the clause containing it is a limitation on the taxation power, or an "implied power" to spend money, and legislate, outside the constraints of the enumerate powers.
Enumerated powers were the limit.

That is Basterdized by those who gave unlimited powers to the government.

The Founders feared gov. Power. Blamed the fall of Athens for it.

The real question isn't the definition of the term "general welfare", it's whether the clause containing it is a limitation on the taxation power, or an implied power to spend money outside the constraints of the enumerate powers of Congress.
Actually it kinda is about the definition of the word GENERAL. There’s really nothing trivial about said definition.
The definition of “WELFARE” is quite clear as well.

I would say its the latter.
Why? If the authors of the Constitution wanted to give Congress the broad power to promote the general welfare, why wouldn't they enumerate it as a power of Congress like the others listed? Why would they employ, in Madison's words, "so awkward a form of describing an authority to legislate in all possible cases."?

Why? If the authors of the Constitution wanted to give Congress the broad power to promote the general welfare, why wouldn't they enumerate it as a power of Congress like the others listed? Why would they employ, in Madison's words, "so awkward a form of describing an authority to legislate in all possible cases."?
Broad power? I feel it is a limited power? Ever read this story about Davy Crockett?

Actually it kinda is about the definition of the word GENERAL. There’s really nothing trivial about said definition.
The definition of “WELFARE” is quite clear as well.
We can bicker about that, sure, but it's not that important. The dam broke when the Court signed up with Hamilton and agreed that the general welfare clause described an "implied power", a double secret power that the Founders snuck in there so the federal government could do whatever it wanted, rather than be constrained by a limited set of powers.

Last edited:
We can bicker about that, sure, but it's not that important. The dam broke when the Court signed up with Hamilton and agreed that the general welfare clause described an "implied power", a double secret power that the Founders snuck in there so the federal government could do whatever it wanted, rather than be constrained by a limited set of powers.
I’m not familiar with that ruling that gave unbridled power to the Feds. Can you link me?

Forum List

Back