What did our founders really mean when they said “general welfare”?

A lot of 18th century cannons are still functional. As for 18th century canons...

After ten years

Long overdue
The minimum wage was never meant to be a livable wage. It was meant to stop bringing illegals over and undercutting the wages of the legal immigrants and to stop the hiring of teenagers to undercut adults in service sector. You raise the minimum wage to $15.00 then prices will just rise to accommodate. You will only increase inflation.
inflation happens anyway; a first world economy costs. only the right wing has a problem with a Minimum wage.
Conservatives don’t have a problem with a minimum. It works great for high-school kids working in service sector. If your expecting to raise a family on a minimum wage service sector job...then you are just plain delusional. What did you do to prepare for life?
why whine about raising the minimum wage?
Not whining...the idea is fucking stupid.
only the right wing has a problem with a Minimum wage.

Whatever the "founders" meant, it was according to their 18th century view.
they were rather incredible then eh? the only thing they didn't count on were folks like the left losing common sense.

Who did the government give YOUR money to?

EVERY government expenditure does not help people equally. People with no children pay to educate the children of others. Are you taking their money to give to others?
But education is for the General Welfare of the people
What about people on welfare that don't pay any taxes, yet their children are educated at the expense of others. Is that fair?

With social welfare, those getting the benefits aren't paying the taxes and those paying the taxes don't get from those programs.
Who writes the tax code?
The rich or the poor?

How much of the code is written to benefit the poor vs the rich?
How much benefits the middle class?

Apparently the tax codes benefits those on the lower end. They don't pay lots of taxes that fund things which they receive. Not a single welfare recipient pays income taxes. Not a single person on food stamps pays income taxes. In fact, a family of four does not pay income taxes until the family income is almost $50,000/year. The poor get the opportunity to an education through the 12th grade the same as the non poor but pay a smaller amount, if any, of the taxes that fund it. The poor get a lot better deal than the rich when it comes to the tax code.

The Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules

That't not necessarily true. Plenty of people that have no "gold" get to vote for elected officials that allow them to keep having a say despite not putting into the pot from which they draw.

The minimum wage was never meant to be a livable wage. It was meant to stop bringing illegals over and undercutting the wages of the legal immigrants and to stop the hiring of teenagers to undercut adults in service sector. You raise the minimum wage to $15.00 then prices will just rise to accommodate. You will only increase inflation.
inflation happens anyway; a first world economy costs. only the right wing has a problem with a Minimum wage.
Conservatives don’t have a problem with a minimum. It works great for high-school kids working in service sector. If your expecting to raise a family on a minimum wage service sector job...then you are just plain delusional. What did you do to prepare for life?
I'm a conservative and retired, work part time for minimum wage, which is going to be $12.00/hour January 1 where I live. I have no problem with that.

I'm a conservative and retired, work part time for minimum wage, which is going to be $12.00/hour January 1 where I live. I have no problem with that.
never any ideas from the left. just whining and complaining and name calling. So leftists, from now on offer a solution with your whine or shut the fk up.

never any ideas from the left. just whining and complaining and name calling. So leftists, from now on offer a solution with your whine or shut the fk up.
a fifteen dollar an hour minimum wage and unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed in our at-will employment States.

What about people on welfare that don't pay any taxes, yet their children are educated at the expense of others. Is that fair?

With social welfare, those getting the benefits aren't paying the taxes and those paying the taxes don't get from those programs.
Who writes the tax code?
The rich or the poor?

How much of the code is written to benefit the poor vs the rich?
How much benefits the middle class?

Apparently the tax codes benefits those on the lower end. They don't pay lots of taxes that fund things which they receive. Not a single welfare recipient pays income taxes. Not a single person on food stamps pays income taxes. In fact, a family of four does not pay income taxes until the family income is almost $50,000/year. The poor get the opportunity to an education through the 12th grade the same as the non poor but pay a smaller amount, if any, of the taxes that fund it. The poor get a lot better deal than the rich when it comes to the tax code.

The Golden Rule: He who has the gold makes the rules

That't not necessarily true. Plenty of people that have no "gold" get to vote for elected officials that allow them to keep having a say despite not putting into the pot from which they draw.
You don’t understand democracy do you?

they were rather incredible then eh? the only thing they didn't count on were folks like the left losing common sense.
lol. nobody takes the right wing seriously about economics. Madison merely had a large vocabulary, not any form of understanding of economics.
Oh, for sure. You're much smarter than James Madison, huh.

lol. nobody takes the right wing seriously about economics. Madison merely had a large vocabulary, not any form of understanding of economics.
He got our White House burned after a "Margin Call".

Oh my, James Madison burned the White House. What history book are you reading?

at least, i know how to read.

I thought the British burned the White House?

I thought the British burned the White House?
Madison was, Commander in Chief, at the time. He got our White House burned after a "Margin Call".

If you voted for Trump there’s a good chance you’re a lot like me with regard to why....I voted for him on two policies almost exclusively...First and foremost on how he would deal with illegal Mexicans and the border and second on how he would yank lowlifes off the Democrat induced welfare plantation.
Anyhoo, as we approach the point where welfare reform will be visited I ask for your opinions on EXACTLY what you think our founders meant when they used the phrase “GENERAL WELFARE” in the constitution?

Attention all Smartest Guys In The Room, and legal scholars:
Please spare us the case citations such as the U.S. vs Butler case and the like. I’m interested in YOUR opinions.
The Founders wanted all people of color who didn't feel like working to be properly compensated.

General welfare to Founders = protection of property, liberty, and community through law and order. Government getting into economics had nothing to do with it.

If you voted for Trump there’s a good chance you’re a lot like me with regard to why....I voted for him on two policies almost exclusively...First and foremost on how he would deal with illegal Mexicans and the border and second on how he would yank lowlifes off the Democrat induced welfare plantation.
Anyhoo, as we approach the point where welfare reform will be visited I ask for your opinions on EXACTLY what you think our founders meant when they used the phrase “GENERAL WELFARE” in the constitution?

Attention all Smartest Guys In The Room, and legal scholars:
Please spare us the case citations such as the U.S. vs Butler case and the like. I’m interested in YOUR opinions.
The Founders wanted all people of color who didn't feel like working to be properly compensated.
Founders didn’t want it...LBJ and the Democrats did and donow.

What planet are you on? Nobody takes Keynesian economics or Robert Riech serious.

Forum List

Back