What did our founders really mean when they said “general welfare”?

The General Welfare Clause is not a reason for big, overbearing, unconstitutional government

General Welfare does not mean anything we want

If you voted for Trump there’s a good chance you’re a lot like me with regard to why....I voted for him on two policies almost exclusively...First and foremost on how he would deal with illegal Mexicans and the border and second on how he would yank lowlifes off the Democrat induced welfare plantation.
Anyhoo, as we approach the point where welfare reform will be visited I ask for your opinions on EXACTLY what you think our founders meant when they used the phrase “GENERAL WELFARE” in the constitution?

Attention all Smartest Guys In The Room, and legal scholars:
Please spare us the case citations such as the U.S. vs Butler case and the like. I’m interested in YOUR opinions.

the general welfare is mentioned twice in The Constitution; once in the Preamble & once in the Tax & Spending clause.

are you referring to one, or to both?

IMO, whatever the general welfare is, I'm sure Republicans hate it :206:

Either, it doesn’t really matter.
Tell us where you read that “general welfare” means Danny gets his Cadillac, flat screen and ounce of weed?

I say it “general welfare” means good people help keep bad people breathing. THE END

I don't believe I mentioned a thing about, "Danny" or his "Cadillac" or his "weed."

Maybe you have had a bit too much weed yourself?
sure you did. You are referring to individuals. And that's fking Danny and Suzie and any other Moon Beam citizen.

The chain of conversation is all there, for all to see. WHERE did I mention what you are claiming?
It's called affiliation. you have put yourself out there that you are questioning his definition of general as public, and you explained it was there twice. Why else make the comments if you're reference wasn't for individuals? you can qualify your meaning right now, and if it wasn't individual, then I will retract.

I don't believe I mentioned a thing about, "Danny" or his "Cadillac" or his "weed."

sure you did. You are referring to individuals. And that's fking Danny and Suzie and any other Moon Beam citizen.

The chain of conversation is all there, for all to see. WHERE did I mention what you are claiming?

Okay, sorry for jumping the gun....how do you interpret “general welfare” as our founders intended it?

as mentioned within The Preamble it means nothing; it is just some fancy wording that means jack.

as mentioned in the Tax & Spending Clause, there has been considerable debate. Considering that Congress creates budgets from the TAX receipts & is in charge of spending, in theory it can mean anything Congress agrees to that Congress agrees that it means.

That’s fancy and all but what do YOU think it means?
Again, to reference Danny, he thinks he gets paid by taxpayers to play video games, smoke week and drive a Ferrari?
Go ahead....

I offered my opinion in post #117

Tell us where you read that “general welfare” means Danny gets his Cadillac, flat screen and ounce of weed?

I say it “general welfare” means good people help keep bad people breathing. THE END

Okay, sorry for jumping the gun....how do you interpret “general welfare” as our founders intended it?

as mentioned within The Preamble it means nothing; it is just some fancy wording that means jack.

as mentioned in the Tax & Spending Clause, there has been considerable debate. Considering that Congress creates budgets from the TAX receipts & is in charge of spending, in theory it can mean anything Congress agrees to that Congress agrees that it means.
that isn't their task. We vote them in to do our business not theirs. You are sorely mistaken friend.

the general welfare is mentioned twice in The Constitution; once in the Preamble & once in the Tax & Spending clause.

are you referring to one, or to both?

IMO, whatever the general welfare is, I'm sure Republicans hate it :206:

It's called affiliation. you have put yourself out there that you are questioning his definition of general as public, and you explained it was there twice. Why else make the comments if you're reference wasn't for individuals? you can qualify your meaning right now, and if it wasn't individual, then I will retract.

I did not question shit. I SAID that is NOT what I mentioned. WHY in Hell are you being so fvcking dense?

AGAIN; demonstrate where I said what you claim.

I did not question shit. I SAID that is NOT what I mentioned. WHY in Hell are you being so fvcking dense?

you inferred it dude, what's the difference?

Again, to reference Danny, he thinks he gets paid by taxpayers to play video games, smoke week and drive a Ferrari?
Go ahead....

Yep, it’s a scary one to engage in..if I were a beggar I wouldn’t give an opinion either...it’s a lose, lose for the Free Shit Crew.

that isn't their task. We vote them in to do our business not theirs. You are sorely mistaken friend.

I didn't say I was 'right'

I said that is my opinion.

If you have an issue with Congress then that is your problem.

you inferred it dude, what's the difference?

So, You make a claim that I said something, everything is contained in the chain that is quoted, and now you are back peddling, because you are a fvcking moron? OK, got it.

You know what; you should STOP with your fvcking lying.

Go ahead....

Yep, it’s a scary one to engage in..if I were a beggar I wouldn’t give an opinion either...it’s a lose, lose for the Free Shit Crew.
Broke, It's even better than that, they claim your money is theirs!!! can't make this shit up.

Go ahead....

Broke, It's even better than that, they claim your money is theirs!!! can't make this shit up.

Yes; keep on lying & making up stupid shit.

No wonder you are a Trump supporter.

Go ahead....

dude, you have every opportunity to clear it up, is the individual what you meant or not?

Go ahead....

dude, you have every opportunity to clear it up, is the individual what you meant or not?

caddo kid says:
“I can’t give my own opinion but it’s the same as that guys.”

Go ahead....

Did I state ANYTHING about any "individual?"

No; I did not.

Go ahead; keep making shit up.

caddo kid says:

I offered my opinion in post #117.

No one else here posted the same opinion.

Go ahead; keep lying & making up shit.

caddo kid says:

Make up some more shit.

caddo kid says:

Make up some more shit.
I love it when they get caught. the back pedaling is phenomenal.

caddo kid says:

Haha...opinions never read like this:
“My opinion is whatever Congress decides it is.”
Listen to that and think once bud...COME ON MAN!

caddo kid says:

Haha...opinions never read like this:
“My opinion is whatever Congress decides it is.”
Listen to that and think once bud...COME ON MAN!

IF YOU have a problem with anything, then that is YOUR problem; not my problem.

For reference, here is what I stated:

Have a problem with that? Not my problem.

Forum List

Back