What do you miss most...

...from pre-Covid19 life?
Going to my local Buffalo Wild Wings 2-3 times a week, and spending 2-3 hours there eating, drinking and playing Buzztime Trivia with my best friend. Second place would be going to my favorite Chinese buffet or to a pizza/salad/soup buffet. And of course, not being able to have some good times with my friend, in person. We're talking to each other a few times a week, so there's THAT.

I miss being able to go to karaoke. But I only did it about once a month, so I'll live.

I really missed going to church on Easter.
I like karaoke, as well. I don't do it much anymore. There's only one place in town here in Valparaiso, Indiana, that has decent karaoke. When I lived in Phoenix, Arizona, I estimate that I probably sang in about SIXTY different bars/restaurants/clubs/other venues from 1995 to 2010. I've sung well over one thousand different songs over the years. I used to go once or twice a week in Arizona. I had about 3 or 4 places within a mile or so from where I lived to choose from for karaoke. I just love to sing. I've never sung professionally, I tried out for a rock and roll band and a blues band when I was in Arizona, didn't make it. The rock band tryout didn't go as well as I'd hoped. My girlfriend at the time insisted she go, and this made me even MORE nervous than I already was. The leader of the band was a friend of a friend of mine, my friend told me the leader said to him that he WAS impressed a bit, and he understood that having my girlfriend there was not a good idea. He offered me another tryout, but I declined. The leader gave me some bad vibes, and it seemed like he was a total control freak. And my tryout consisted of reading and singing from sheet music HE had written himself, and while I COULD read sheet music, I wasn't that good at it. So in retrospect, I'm glad I declined another tryout. My tryout for the blues band went pretty well, it was actually part of an open mic night at a restaurant/bar. I WAS offered another tryout, but I declined. Again, the leader seemed to be a control freak, and I didn't want any part of that. In retrospect, I probably SHOULD'VE accepted another tryout, because the blues band was pretty well known around the Phoenix area. They were looking for a new lead singer. Oh well, I don't think I would've been able to work with the leader of the band anyway. Sorry for my LONG WINDED reply, but the gist of it is, yes, I DO like karaoke!
And despite my love of karaoke, I never WON a karaoke contest. I finished runner-up several times, but never the big prize. Beer drinking glasses, beer holders, and t-shirts were all I won. I DID figure out early on that contests were often not fair, and bar favorites sometimes won, who did NOT deserve to win.
The ONLY time I won first place for my singing was for a trivia night competition, of all things. One of the rules was in the case of a tie for first, the host would pick a tiebreaker. This was usually a tie-breaking question, but not all of the time. The host had done a sing-off a few months prior to this, which featured the two teams that tied that evening. I believe our team missed a three-way tie by a single point. Anyway, after that original sing-off, we kept asking the host if he would do it again. He finally did. Our team finished in a tie for first that night. Our team, myself and two of my friends, had planned what we would sing if it ever happened again. I sang "Crying", by Roy Orbison, a capella, with background noises from my teammates. We got a standing ovation and won that night. First place was 50 dollars bar money that you could use for anything there, including alcohol. It was a VERY sweet victory.

...from pre-Covid19 life?
Going to my local Buffalo Wild Wings 2-3 times a week, and spending 2-3 hours there eating, drinking and playing Buzztime Trivia with my best friend. Second place would be going to my favorite Chinese buffet or to a pizza/salad/soup buffet. And of course, not being able to have some good times with my friend, in person. We're talking to each other a few times a week, so there's THAT.

I miss being able to go to karaoke. But I only did it about once a month, so I'll live.

I really missed going to church on Easter.
I like karaoke, as well. I don't do it much anymore. There's only one place in town here in Valparaiso, Indiana, that has decent karaoke. When I lived in Phoenix, Arizona, I estimate that I probably sang in about SIXTY different bars/restaurants/clubs/other venues from 1995 to 2010. I've sung well over one thousand different songs over the years. I used to go once or twice a week in Arizona. I had about 3 or 4 places within a mile or so from where I lived to choose from for karaoke. I just love to sing. I've never sung professionally, I tried out for a rock and roll band and a blues band when I was in Arizona, didn't make it. The rock band tryout didn't go as well as I'd hoped. My girlfriend at the time insisted she go, and this made me even MORE nervous than I already was. The leader of the band was a friend of a friend of mine, my friend told me the leader said to him that he WAS impressed a bit, and he understood that having my girlfriend there was not a good idea. He offered me another tryout, but I declined. The leader gave me some bad vibes, and it seemed like he was a total control freak. And my tryout consisted of reading and singing from sheet music HE had written himself, and while I COULD read sheet music, I wasn't that good at it. So in retrospect, I'm glad I declined another tryout. My tryout for the blues band went pretty well, it was actually part of an open mic night at a restaurant/bar. I WAS offered another tryout, but I declined. Again, the leader seemed to be a control freak, and I didn't want any part of that. In retrospect, I probably SHOULD'VE accepted another tryout, because the blues band was pretty well known around the Phoenix area. They were looking for a new lead singer. Oh well, I don't think I would've been able to work with the leader of the band anyway. Sorry for my LONG WINDED reply, but the gist of it is, yes, I DO like karaoke!
And despite my love of karaoke, I never WON a karaoke contest. I finished runner-up several times, but never the big prize. Beer drinking glasses, beer holders, and t-shirts were all I won. I DID figure out early on that contests were often not fair, and bar favorites sometimes won, who did NOT deserve to win.

I don't enter karaoke contests, because they're always rigged. I sing for the joy of making music, not to be annoyed and frustrated.
Yep, nearly all of the contests I took part in WERE rigged. I took part in ONE contest since moving here to Indiana, and IT was rigged. I'll never take part in one again because of this.

I like the music. And I like the applause. And I like when total strangers postpone their bathroom or cigarette breaks to hear me finish my song.
Yep, it really IS nice when you get compliments from a total stranger. You KNOW they're not just doing it because they know you. That IS the nicest compliment you can get.

Forum List

Back