What do you miss most...

I miss the open, friendly, and fun, social interaction I had with neighbors I no longer see roaming around and if I do there is a grimness about them. They used to be light and open and now they are insecure. I miss the laughter of an open society. I miss the "OPEN and HIRING" signs that were everywhere.

My dermatologist canceled a scheduled procedure and I need a haircut.

I miss feeling freewheeling.

Being able to walk into a place of business and not see the iconic "white sheet of paper" on the door with some variation of an explanation of why they can't sell me a fucking box of donuts because we have 2 cases of Covid19 within 500 miles of us.

Same shit here. Walk in past a sign "if u been sick" Then another on the floor, "wait here"

Gonna take a steamer on one of them signs.

I miss the open, friendly, and fun, social interaction I had with neighbors I no longer see roaming around and if I do there is a grimness about them. They used to be light and open and now they are insecure. I miss the laughter of an open society. I miss the "OPEN and HIRING" signs that were everywhere.

My dermatologist canceled a scheduled procedure and I need a haircut.

I miss feeling freewheeling.

I've got a temporary crown on my tooth that was supposed to be replaced with a permanent one last month. :p

Nothing. Believe it or not, nothing in my life has changed. I go to work five days a week, I come home. Once every two weeks I go out for groceries and odds and ends like I always have. My favorite lunch spots are still serving, albeit curbside or delivery.

The fact that I find most people to be a nuisance means that I've been practicing "social distancing" for twenty-five years or more...

Heard that. I always tell people that I was social-distancing before it was cool.

Grocery shopping's been about like always for me, because I live in a place with a lot of stores, so they've been less cleaned out than stores in areas where only one or two serve the entire ZIP code.

But I've been making face masks, both to donate to medical personnel and to give to people I know who are really in need of them, and finding elastic, bias tape, and interfacing has become insane. Who knew?

...from pre-Covid19 life?
Going to my local Buffalo Wild Wings 2-3 times a week, and spending 2-3 hours there eating, drinking and playing Buzztime Trivia with my best friend. Second place would be going to my favorite Chinese buffet or to a pizza/salad/soup buffet. And of course, not being able to have some good times with my friend, in person. We're talking to each other a few times a week, so there's THAT.

I miss being able to go to karaoke. But I only did it about once a month, so I'll live.

I really missed going to church on Easter.

I miss all the traffic on the roads and highways.

Not even a little bit. :p I've been 20-30 minutes early for work every since this started, without even trying. Freeways that are usually parking lots during rush hour have barely had anyone on them. First time in ages I've actually been able to go the speed limit.

Going to my local Buffalo Wild Wings 2-3 times a week, and spending 2-3 hours there eating, drinking and playing Buzztime Trivia with my best friend. Second place would be going to my favorite Chinese buffet or to a pizza/salad/soup buffet. And of course, not being able to have some good times with my friend, in person. We're talking to each other a few times a week, so there's THAT.

I miss being able to go to karaoke. But I only did it about once a month, so I'll live.

I like karaoke, as well. I don't do it much anymore. There's only one place in town here in Valparaiso, Indiana, that has decent karaoke. When I lived in Phoenix, Arizona, I estimate that I probably sang in about SIXTY different bars/restaurants/clubs/other venues from 1995 to 2010. I've sung well over one thousand different songs over the years. I used to go once or twice a week in Arizona. I had about 3 or 4 places within a mile or so from where I lived to choose from for karaoke. I just love to sing. I've never sung professionally, I tried out for a rock and roll band and a blues band when I was in Arizona, didn't make it. The rock band tryout didn't go as well as I'd hoped. My girlfriend at the time insisted she go, and this made me even MORE nervous than I already was. The leader of the band was a friend of a friend of mine, my friend told me the leader said to him that he WAS impressed a bit, and he understood that having my girlfriend there was not a good idea. He offered me another tryout, but I declined. The leader gave me some bad vibes, and it seemed like he was a total control freak. And my tryout consisted of reading and singing from sheet music HE had written himself, and while I COULD read sheet music, I wasn't that good at it. So in retrospect, I'm glad I declined another tryout. My tryout for the blues band went pretty well, it was actually part of an open mic night at a restaurant/bar. I WAS offered another tryout, but I declined. Again, the leader seemed to be a control freak, and I didn't want any part of that. In retrospect, I probably SHOULD'VE accepted another tryout, because the blues band was pretty well known around the Phoenix area. They were looking for a new lead singer. Oh well, I don't think I would've been able to work with the leader of the band anyway. Sorry for my LONG WINDED reply, but the gist of it is, yes, I DO like karaoke!

I like karaoke, as well. I don't do it much anymore. There's only one place in town here in Valparaiso, Indiana, that has decent karaoke. When I lived in Phoenix, Arizona, I estimate that I probably sang in about SIXTY different bars/restaurants/clubs/other venues from 1995 to 2010. I've sung well over one thousand different songs over the years. I used to go once or twice a week in Arizona. I had about 3 or 4 places within a mile or so from where I lived to choose from for karaoke. I just love to sing. I've never sung professionally, I tried out for a rock and roll band and a blues band when I was in Arizona, didn't make it. The rock band tryout didn't go as well as I'd hoped. My girlfriend at the time insisted she go, and this made me even MORE nervous than I already was. The leader of the band was a friend of a friend of mine, my friend told me the leader said to him that he WAS impressed a bit, and he understood that having my girlfriend there was not a good idea. He offered me another tryout, but I declined. The leader gave me some bad vibes, and it seemed like he was a total control freak. And my tryout consisted of reading and singing from sheet music HE had written himself, and while I COULD read sheet music, I wasn't that good at it. So in retrospect, I'm glad I declined another tryout. My tryout for the blues band went pretty well, it was actually part of an open mic night at a restaurant/bar. I WAS offered another tryout, but I declined. Again, the leader seemed to be a control freak, and I didn't want any part of that. In retrospect, I probably SHOULD'VE accepted another tryout, because the blues band was pretty well known around the Phoenix area. They were looking for a new lead singer. Oh well, I don't think I would've been able to work with the leader of the band anyway. Sorry for my LONG WINDED reply, but the gist of it is, yes, I DO like karaoke!

I learned to sing in church as a child, just like Whitney Houston (spoiler alert: I don't sound like Whitney Houston). There are two places I like to do karaoke here in Phoenix, in proximity to my home. One is Robert Emmet's in Glendale, because the KJ team is really nice and has a great system. The other is a little place farther north, whose name I can never remember (I just know how to get there), because the audience is always gratifyingly amazed and impressed by my singing. :)

I learned to sing in church as a child, just like Whitney Houston (spoiler alert: I don't sound like Whitney Houston). There are two places I like to do karaoke here in Phoenix, in proximity to my home. One is Robert Emmet's in Glendale, because the KJ team is really nice and has a great system. The other is a little place farther north, whose name I can never remember (I just know how to get there), because the audience is always gratifyingly amazed and impressed by my singing. :)
Nice to hear, Cecilie. Many of the greatest singers we've known got their start singing in church. You MAY have heard of that guy, Elvis Presley, that's where HE got his start. I was in choirs throughout middle school, high school, and college. The biggest thing I learned was how to breathe correctly when singing and how to use breath support. I can STILL hold a note for 15-20 seconds. I haven't heard of Robert Emmet's. Perhaps the place has changed its name since I moved from Arizona in May of 2010. I'll look it up. And thanks for your nice reply.

I looked up Robert Emmet's in Glendale, Arizona. I HAVE been to that location a few times for karaoke. But this was in the late 1990's, and it had a different name back then. I remember it as a kind of small place, but with great acoustics. If it IS the same place.

I looked up Robert Emmet's in Glendale, Arizona. I HAVE been to that location a few times for karaoke. But this was in the late 1990's, and it had a different name back then. I remember it as a kind of small place, but with great acoustics. If it IS the same place.

Couldn't say. I've only been in Phoenix a couple of years, up from Tucson.

Have you been to Santisi Brother's, which is very close to I-17 and Bell Road? They used to be pretty good for karaoke. I lived in that area, off of 29th Ave. and Union Hills, for about 5 years.

And despite my love of karaoke, I never WON a karaoke contest. I finished runner-up several times, but never the big prize. Beer drinking glasses, beer holders, and t-shirts were all I won. I DID figure out early on that contests were often not fair, and bar favorites sometimes won, who did NOT deserve to win.

Have you been to Santisi Brother's, which is very close to I-17 and Bell Road? They used to be pretty good for karaoke. I lived in that area, off of 29th Ave. and Union Hills, for about 5 years.

I haven't heard of it, and I live in that general area. Might have changed their name. Might have stopped doing karaoke.

And despite my love of karaoke, I never WON a karaoke contest. I finished runner-up several times, but never the big prize. Beer drinking glasses, beer holders, and t-shirts were all I won. I DID figure out early on that contests were often not fair, and bar favorites sometimes won, who did NOT deserve to win.

I don't enter karaoke contests, because they're always rigged. I sing for the joy of making music, not to be annoyed and frustrated.

I don't enter karaoke contests, because they're always rigged. I sing for the joy of making music, not to be annoyed and frustrated.
Yep, nearly all of the contests I took part in WERE rigged. I took part in ONE contest since moving here to Indiana, and IT was rigged. I'll never take part in one again because of this.

Yep, nearly all of the contests I took part in WERE rigged. I took part in ONE contest since moving here to Indiana, and IT was rigged. I'll never take part in one again because of this.

I like the music. And I like the applause. And I like when total strangers postpone their bathroom or cigarette breaks to hear me finish my song.

Forum List

Back