What emotion causes tears?

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
Or rather...what causes the emotion that causes reaction in the form of tears? For example....you see something beautiful.You feel a tug near your heart and the next thing you know, your eyes well up with tears.

What causes that? Is it incapable of explaining per science gobbledegoop? Is it spiritual gobbledegoop? Can it be explained at all?

I guess I ask because again, I am watching Avatar. Seeing the CGI woods created in someone else's mind never fails to make me get teary eyed. Standing outside and seeing a beautiful night sky full of stars also makes me cry, too. So what causes it?

I know. Weird question.

You know, bourbon sounds kind of good right now. I don't drink, but I bet it sure would help with this damn tenacious flu.

Or rather...what causes the emotion that causes reaction in the form of tears? For example....you see something beautiful.You feel a tug near your heart and the next thing you know, your eyes well up with tears.

What causes that? Is it incapable of explaining per science gobbledegoop? Is it spiritual gobbledegoop? Can it be explained at all?

I guess I ask because again, I am watching Avatar. Seeing the CGI woods created in someone else's mind never fails to make me get teary eyed. Standing outside and seeing a beautiful night sky full of stars also makes me cry, too. So what causes it?

I know. Weird question.
what causes emotions that cause tears ?? hormones maybe .:eusa_eh:

I know. Weird question.

the Limbic System

People can cry from anger.
From sadness or grief.
From joy and being so touched they are humbled.

The common factor is the stress that makes
the eyes tear up to release that chemical.

So I guess it is sudden or great emotion?
What part of the brain is that?

some people will laugh when stress hits them.
so it is socially conditioned if we learn to laugh
or cry in response to stress. One of my friends laughed
at her Grandmother's funeral because of all the stress.

I once laughed because of stress and hurt a friend's
feelings who thought I was cruel and thinking her
pain and anger was funny. So it can lead to mixed signals where
the automatic response may be read socially as out of place.

The common factor seems to be stress
or a sudden surge in emotion.

NOTE: If you don't find your answer here I would check on MD online
or yahoo answers. someone will likely have answered this or something similar before.

Last edited:
I've never seen a baby weep for joy. Hungry, yes. In pain, yes. Joy, no.

So if you are crying over a beautiful Ford truck commercial, it must be an expression over something greater than yourself which babies are unable to grasp. It's a higher order of crying.

You know, bourbon sounds kind of good right now. I don't drink, but I bet it sure would help with this damn tenacious flu.

Pint of Jim Beam, a big ol' peppermint stick, some honey and realemon juice.
My wife makes a batch every flu season.
A couple shots in the microwave??? mmmmmmmm
:cool:

I know. Weird question.

the Limbic System

I get emails all the time for a cure for that

I've never seen a baby weep for joy. Hungry, yes. In pain, yes. Joy, no.

So if you are crying over a beautiful Ford truck commercial, it must be an expression over something greater than yourself which babies are unable to grasp. It's a higher order of crying.

"It's just a tiny bit of his awesome leaking out"

:razz:

Forum List

Back