What has your smartphone replaced?

I

Indofred

From cameras to keycards, everyday devices killed off by the smartphone | Technology | theguardian.com

Just read this interesting piece, and considered my Samsung S5.
No need for a satnav, no calculator and lots of other things, but there are things it doesn't do as well as old bits of kit.

I've just bought a new voice recorder, because the stand alone device allows external microphones and is far easier to use for examinations and so on.
It's also easier to handle as it's smaller and more rugged.

What has your smartphone replaced, and failed to replace?

My Android has replaced my Car and Home Stereos.

I download all kinds of Music and Radio Podcasts to listen to at home and in the car.

No Static and I can fast forward through all the commercials.

I download BBC podcasts on my smartphone, send them to a flashdisk, and play them in the car from that.
I no longer have a home stereo, that was replaced by the computer.

Smart phones replaced: the US mail, letters, long conversations over small things, paper, traditional English language, radios, CD's, DVD's, walkman, iPods, telephone lines, telegrams, TV, games, copy machines, printers, fax machines, scanners, ATM machines, bank tellers, printing press, business cards, junk mail, tape recorders, cameras, mirrors, magnifying glass, answering machines, news papers, video cam-corders, remote controls, wallets, credit cards, currency, checks, photo albums, filing cabinets, secretaries, information operators, traditional classroom education, books, reading lamps, libraries, flash-lights, strobe lights, levels, GPS devices, altimeters, attitude indicators, compass, speedometers, radar, pedometers, warning devices, maps, brief cases, typewriters, laptop computers, 2-way & ham radios, network wires, heart monitors, lowered need for nurses, doctors, stock brokers, terminals, travel, fuel, electricity, bar-code readers, credit card machines, cash registers, brick & mortar retail stores, etc. The list can continue on many levels.

Last edited:
From cameras to keycards, everyday devices killed off by the smartphone | Technology | theguardian.com

No need for a satnav, no calculator and lots of other things, but there are things it doesn't do as well as old bits of kit.

I've just bought a new voice recorder, because the stand alone device allows external microphones and is far easier to use for examinations and so on.

I use my Smartphone more than my digital camera but that's about it. Well, I do text a lot more than I email these days too.

Seriously, I think some people's smart phones have replaced their brains. :D

Replaced almost everything. Not replaced: compass, I still carry one. Actual tools - like leatherman - still carry that. Would not use the level on the phone to level anything.

They've certainly replaced responsible driving skills.

They've certainly replaced responsible driving skills.

I was out to lunch with a friend, and I saw a couple who couldn't have been more than 20 years old in the booth that I was facing. They didn't even look up from their phones to speak to one another. I wondered if they were talking to one another on their phones or if they were talking to other people or playing games, whatever. It was just weird. :lol: You might as well just go sit at different tables then, you know?

I actually got rid of my smartphone. I found I just didn't need all the apps and bells and whistles. I don't take pictures and videos, don't play games when waiting, don't have Facebook or Twitter, rarely call people when I'm out and about, and just didn't get my money's worth out of the thing.

I'm no Luddite, but I just didn't need a smart phone.

Forum List

Back