What is Amnesty?

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Is amnesty forgiving someone of their 'sins' or past criminal activity and letting them not go to prison for it...? Or something like that?

If we allow an illegal immigrant to not go to jail or be deported for their crime of crossing the border illegally or because they stayed beyond their visa's legal time period, and allow them to stay here in the USA legally......is that Amnesty?

Is amnesty forgiving someone of their 'sins' or past criminal activity and letting them not go to prison for it...? Or something like that?

No dictionaries on your planet?
plenty of them, do they describe what is going on now, with the proposals on how to handle our illegal immigration situation.

Everyone seems to have a different opinion on what amnesty for the illegals here is....what is your opinion on what amnesty for the illegals here would be?

"What is Amnesty?"

It’s something no one advocates with regard to immigration reform, Democrat or Republican.

It is something that is not a provision of any immigration reform legislation.

All persons in the United States are entitled to due process of the law, including those undocumented.

Current proposed immigration reform legislation satisfies the requirement of affording due process to undocumented immigrants, it subjects them to punitive measures for having violated immigration law, and requires continue compliance with immigration law to be allowed to remain in the country – a process that in no way constitutes ‘amnesty,’ anyone who maintains otherwise is either ignorant of the law or a liar.

What does Trump and or Trump supporters mean by saying the term, "there will be no amnesty"....

is allowing any of the illegals here... permission to stay and not be deported what they consider to be amnesty?

What does Trump and or Trump supporters mean by saying the term, "there will be no amnesty"....

is allowing any of the illegals here... permission to stay and not be deported what they consider to be amnesty?

That's a different question . For example: illegals can come out of the shadows and get status , but can never be citizens . That would be "amnesty" for some people, but others wouldn't thibk so .

That's a different question . For example: illegals can come out of the shadows and get status , but can never be citizens . That would be "amnesty" for some people, but others wouldn't thibk so .
I guess that is what I am trying to clarify...

Whether allowing the illegal immigrants to stay is amnesty or not....

it used to be considered amnesty, with or without citizenship pathway, but now it seems the only thing they would consider as amnesty is a pathway to citizenship....and all else, is not amnesty.

Here's what should happen. Come up with some "amnesty " that allows for legal status without having to leave , but you forfeit any chance at citizenship .

Then both sides give and get .

here is the way to handle it.
Make it illegal and enforce the penalties for Hiring, feeding, housing, educating or being caught helping them in any way.
They will self deport and we dont have to grant amnesty or be mean.
Amnesty is just the liberals way of saying they are afraid of making the illegals mad.
Not ready to give the country away to a bunch of third world pieces of shit just yet.

Make it illegal and enforce the penalties for Hiring, feeding, housing, educating or being caught helping them in any way.
Amnesty is just the liberals way of saying they are afraid of making the illegals mad.
Not ready to give the country away to a bunch of third world pieces of shit just yet.

GOP hero ron reagan was the last prez to give out amnesty . How u like dem apples ?

Here's my 2cents.....

Based upon current US Law - If you' are in the US illegally, whether by sneaking across the border, or simply overstaying a Visa, you are in violation of US law and must be deported to your country of origin. There is no "middle ground". It's a cut and dry issue. Anything less than deportation is a form of "amnesty".

GOP hero ron reagan was the last prez to give out amnesty . How u like dem apples ?
didnt like them then, dont like them now.
his doing that is what caused this massive invasion we are currently plagued with. Worst damn thing he could have done. should have sent them back instead.

Laws serve no value when one circumvents the very nature and intent of the law by granting amnesty without some form of recompense. Violation of federal immigration laws has its consequences, otherwise just open the doors and do away any pretext of immigration control. The winners of course are those seeking to drive down the cost of manual labor and standard of living. Furthermore Illegal immigrants arrested for a crime should be immediately deported for if you are going to circumvent the law then why waste your time with the court system.

Here's what should happen. Come up with some "amnesty " that allows for legal status without having to leave , but you forfeit any chance at citizenship .

Then both sides give and get .
I don't think I really want millions and millions of people here their entire lifetime without being citizens, and any children they had before coming here not being citizens.

Many Mexicans come here on various visas and choose not to get their citizenship, even when they are allowed legally to apply for it....

I'd rather people that come here to forever work and live here by my and neighbor's side, to WANT to be citizens of our great Nation.

If we allow millions of non citizens to work here only, then wouldn't that take up the space of all foreigners that want to immigrate here, work here, and become citizens of the United States, just like your distant relatives?

I don't want to give the wrong impression...

I guess, what I am saying is that when it comes to the 'other' illegal immigrants that are left here after donald's proposal of getting the criminals out first, (which is also Obama's policy and Hillary's), the ones left, let's say the ones that have American born children, should be allowed to eventually apply for citizenship.

I don't want to give the wrong impression...

I guess, what I am saying is that when it comes to the 'other' illegal immigrants that are left here after donald's proposal of getting the criminals out first, (which is also Obama's policy and Hillary's), the ones left, let's say the ones that have American born children, should be allowed to eventually apply for citizenship.

The issue is complicated by allowing "Sanctuary Cities" to exist. Obama has not done anything to punish cities that openly defy federal law. hiLIARy will not do anything either. That's why Kate Steinle is dead. A 5x deported felon was in custody - then he was released by the SFPD. He then murdered an innocent girl.

Sanchez was in federal prison for re-entering the country after his fifth deportation. But on March 26, as the date neared for him to be released into ICE custody, prison officials in Victorville shipped him north to the San Francisco Sheriff's Department on an outstanding drug-related warrant despite an immigration detainer. The San Francisco district attorney's office declined to prosecute what authorities said was a decade-old marijuana possession case, and Sanchez was released April 15.

Immigration officials issued another detainer after Lopez-Sanchez arrived in San Francisco, requesting to be notified before his release so arrangements could be made to take custody, ICE spokeswoman Virginia Kice said.

"The detainer was not honored," Kice said in a statement.

San Francisco, as a sanctuary city, honors immigration holds only if the person has a violent record or if a judge had vetted the hold or approved a warrant. In this case, ICE did not seek a court order, Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi said.

Under California's 2014 Trust Act, Lopez-Sanchez could have been held for immigration based on his past felonies.

About 300 cities and counties, including San Francisco, do not honor requests from ICE to keep someone in a local jail until immigration officials can take the person into custody. Recent court decisions have said that such requests violate an individual's constitutional right to due process and that local jurisdictions could be held liable for wrongful imprisonment.

Sanctuary cities: How Kathryn Steinle's death intensified the immigration debate

So they had this animal in custody, but the LWNJ's in San Fran released him.

We need to stop all Federal Funding for any city, county, or state that allows any "Sanctuary Cities" to exist. PERIOD.

If we allow an illegal immigrant to not go to jail or be deported for their crime of crossing the border illegally or because they stayed beyond their visa's legal time period, and allow them to stay here in the USA legally......is that Amnesty?

Anything which allows an illegal immigrant to stay in the country.

Unless Trump proposes it.

Then it just is 'prudent immigration reform'

LOL

Here's my 2cents.....

Based upon current US Law - If you' are in the US illegally, whether by sneaking across the border, or simply overstaying a Visa, you are in violation of US law and must be deported to your country of origin. There is no "middle ground". It's a cut and dry issue. Anything less than deportation is a form of "amnesty".
Thank you for answering the question Zander!

Your position is the position I believed the Republicans that support Donald have taken in the past....but I guess it is a little confusing when listening to Trump recently on his immigration stance....yes in the beginning of his speech he implied that all illegal immigrants had to go...yadahdahdahdah....but then, he ended with, and after a few years, of those that are left we will decide then on what to do and we will do so humanely yadadah....

Who are the illegal immigrants that will be left? Who was he talking about...the ones that have American born children or others or both?

Here's my 2cents.....

Thank you for answering the question Zander!

Your position is the position I believed the Republicans that support Donald have taken in the past....but I guess it is a little confusing when listening to Trump recently on his immigration stance....yes in the beginning of his speech he implied that all illegal immigrants had to go...yadahdahdahdah....but then, he ended with, and after a few years, of those that are left we will decide then on what to do and we will do so humanely yadadah....

Who are the illegal immigrants that will be left? Who was he talking about...the ones that have American born children or others or both?

You bring up a good point. Although the actual "law" is black and white, in reality the issue is not. It's thorny and complicated. We really do have to be humane about it. Do we really want to go door to door breaking up families? Some of these people have been here for decades and have children that are US Citizens. We have to have a process.

Start with this...Build a wall now.

At the same time go for the low hanging fruit- criminals, rapists, drug addicts, the bad apples.....they get the boot immediately and on a continuing basis. No quarter for these people.

Then we move to people that are here on expired visas. Get them kicked out. Then restrict them from ever entering again. We must let people know that we have a zero tolerance policy on expired visas- you get caught once and you can NEVER EVER, EVER, COME BACK FOR ANY REASON.

Finally we go for the deeply entrenched illegals, the ones who had anchor babies and have been living in "sanctuary" cities. We will need a fully transparent process for dealing with them. Maybe we have to allow a time period where they can voluntarily come forward? They admit they broke the law then plead their case before a judge that can decide their fate. The "good ones" (that have jobs, own property, have children, are not indigent, etc..) may be able to pay a fine, pay back taxes, or do community service .... In exchange we allow them to stay in the country as "guests". Whatever we do, we must put a time limit on the program and if you do not turn yourself in during the reporting period and are caught for any reason- you can NEVER EVER COME BACK FOR ANY REASON. No Soup for you!!

It's going to be very dicey and I do not envy the people that have to clean this horrific mess up..... nor the families that will be impacted. But it must be done. Without borders we do not have a country.

I blame the feckless government for allowing it to go too far.....it's a goddamn mess!

Forum List

Back