What is happening in Egypt?

I don't think it was Obama's fault that islamist parties got more votes generally in the region. US have been a player in the region for decades. Especially Kissinger policies created a long lasting history of military being in charge. And was that avoidable? Lets take a look at the history.

Lets go to Ottoman years, when it was all one king ruling the whole. A backwards country with literacy around 1%. But the king is trying to keep up with the west, of course militarily. So the first (and sadly probably the only) institution to get any modernization back then was, you guessed right, military. Military schools got western teachers. Military officers served with the western officers. So even thou the society was formed with backward illiterate people, military did stand out with high literacy level and western like thinking people.

And once the Ottoman collapsed, there were 2 options. Let the backward people put their country in a crash course with the modern civilization or let the military dictate them in a somewhat forward direction. US has been exercising the second option, standing with the dictators. But there is also one rule in politics, power corrupts. And put the soviets going into the region during the cold war on top of that.

Anyways, it is a very tough equation in middle east. I don't think you should put too much pressure on anyone who can not get it straight, unless of course they make tragic mistakes like invading countries and letting your kids die just for no reason. So Obama, to my perspective; maybe he was not too smart, he could not foresee what would happen next, but also he was not an idiot and did not do anything irreversible.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back