Votes: 3 100.0%
  • A-26

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mesquito

• others to be added later

• Total voters
This is a hard one because there are so many. Tell you what, let's 'put together a listing before I post the poll.

You left off some good ones from your list; off the top of my head:
B-26 Marauder: once pilots figured out how to take off & land it, the B-26 had the lowest loss rate of any allied medium bomber.
JU-88: Most versatile of the Luftwaffe's many medium bombers.
SM-79 Sparviero: Torpedo armed versions of this Italian tri-motor played havoc on the Mediterranean convoys.
Wellington: Tough, good payload, carried Bomber Command until the Lanc & Halifax became available in numbers.
Mitsubishi G4M Betty: Versatile, long ranged mainstay of the Japanese Navy land based bombers.

The A-26 Invader is technically a light bomber, hence the "A" designation, at least during WWII. It was the follow-on from the successful A-20 Havoc, both being made by Douglass.

• Banned
I don't see an edit on this so I may just use it to gather the info and post another. It appears there is a my little gremlin present. Guess he didn't like some of my answers in another area.

I don't see an edit on this so I may just use it to gather the info and post another. It appears there is a my little gremlin present. Guess he didn't like some of my answers in another area.

Daryl Hunt There is only a short window of time for you to edit your posts. What do you need?

• Banned

Daryl Hunt There is only a short window of time for you to edit your posts. What do you need?

I need the edit so I can change the poll as people make suggestions. There are just too many good medium bombers for any one person to know. And I know most of them but not enough.

Or you can do the adds yourself taken from the other peoples posts. Either way, the job gets done.

I need the edit so I can change the poll as people make suggestions. There are just too many good medium bombers for any one person to know. And I know most of them but not enough.

Or you can do the adds yourself taken from the other peoples posts. Either way, the job gets done.

As soon as you have your list together mention me and I will edit the poll.

This is a hard one because there are so many. Tell you what, let's 'put together a listing before I post the poll.

I think also so tough because these were often such versatile planes in so many roles.

Think of the Ju-88- everything from level bomber to torpedo bomber to night fighter.

And the B-25- used for all kinds of raids- but who can't love the anti-shipping version with the 75 mm mounted on it?

And is the Mosquito a medium bomber or a light bomber?

I think also so tough because these were often such versatile planes in so many roles.

Think of the Ju-88- everything from level bomber to torpedo bomber to night fighter.

And the B-25- used for all kinds of raids- but who can't love the anti-shipping version with the 75 mm mounted on it?

Based on weight I would classify the Mosquito as a light bomber (that's how the Brits classified it after all), but based on the fact that it could drop the 4,000 pound "cookie" and use the 57mm anti tank cannon in the direct fire mode I would say it was a medium bomber!

the 25

USAAF_B-25_sinks_Japanese_destroyer_Amatsukaze_o.jpg

Based on weight I would classify the Mosquito as a light bomber (that's how the Brits classified it after all), but based on the fact that it could drop the 4,000 pound "cookie" and use the 57mm anti tank cannon in the direct fire mode I would say it was a medium bomber!

There are exception to every rule. For instance, the P-38 could haul 5000 lbs of bombs. I don't think it would be considered a medium bomber even with that massive payload. But it would certainly get consideration as a Light Bomber. Like the P-38, you could load the Mossie down but it's performance went out the window. The Medium Bombers were designed to handle 2000 to 4000 lb bomb loads without sacrificing performance. Some of the mediums almost qualify as heavies if it weren't for their lack of weight and the ability to defend themselves. Load out a B-25 and you lost the ability to zig and zag. Making it a target for a Zero.

Let's just call the Mossie a light.

Forum List

Back