What is the date in your state where parties have to certify a candidate to be on the ballot?

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
In Virginia the dems have till Sept 6th to change their nominee.

It's tied to a state law that says parties need to certify their candidate no later than at 1700 on the sixth day prior to the election.

The dems got a 45 in-person voting period passed when they held sway so our voting period starts on Sept 20th.

How about your state?

Those dates shouldn't matter unless Biden has a major health issue, or a meltdown like the 1st debate.

Right now Biden looks to be their nominee. If he gets 25th, he's still their nominee.

The Heritage Foundation will take dems to court if they try to replace Biden after the date deadlines you are looking for.
Democrats are yelling their talking points hoping to save Biden's candidacy. It won't help, Biden is too old and he won't leave, unless the oligarchs give him a "Golden Parachute" of $50m or so? Pay up suckers.

Those dates shouldn't matter unless Biden has a major health issue, or a meltdown like the 1st debate.
They matter a lot in states with early in-person voting.....Ballots have to be ordered/printed well in advance of whatever date early in-person voting starts takes place.

Looks like the Virginia dems, in their haste to push through a 45-day in-person early voting period, did not bother to change the deadline law.

:oops8:

States have extended their approval dates for candidates in prior elections.....right now, Alabama has extended their cut off date for Trump for some reason, I had read last week...

but yeah, you are right....these extended early voting could complicate things by having to move to sooner cut off dates....!

It just goes to show that things that never mattered before have the potential to become real important all of a sudden. ;)
That's what the dems get for fucking with election day.
Ohio's ballot deadline was August 7th, before the DNC Convention 8/19-8/22.
Ohio was trying to change the law to move the date after the DNC Convention, but hit a few snags.
The DNC said "no problem" we'll just hold a "virtual convention" online to nominate Joe & Kamala.

Then the 1st debate disaster happened, and donors want Joe removed.
The DNC has a real mess on its hands, and no time to solve it.

States have extended their approval dates for candidates in prior elections.....right now, Alabama has extended their cut off date for Trump for some reason, I had read last week...

but yeah, you are right....these extended early voting could complicate things by having to move to sooner cut off dates....!
Yep, and to be honest I don't know if the printing/distribution could be accomplished in six days if the dems ran right up to the deadline.

It would have to be a all hands on deck operation and the cost to the taxpayer would be enormous.....Hopefully borne by the party holding things up.

Reaping and sowing. Enjoy this.

I can't see the effort to replace Biden with another candidate coming in to fruition, unless the Dems have a candidate that everyone in the Dem party can unite and get behind, especially ALL of their voters....in order to beat Trump. If dems or the DNC can't give voters that one strong candidate and not be divided, then it is not worth causing the chaos of switching candidates at the 11th hour, imo.

I can't see the effort to replace Biden with another candidate coming in to fruition, unless the Dems have a candidate that everyone in the Dem party can unite and get behind, especially ALL of their voters....in order to beat Trump. If dems or the DNC can't give voters that one strong candidate and not be divided, then it is not worth causing the chaos of switching candidates at the 11th hour, imo.

I mean not to mention the THREAT TO DEMOCRACY this would pose amrite?

Or wait you don't care about democracy. Just power and those who lick the boots of power.

Yep, and to be honest I don't know if the printing/distribution could be accomplished in six days if the dems ran right up to the deadline.

It would have to be a all hands on deck operation and the cost to the taxpayer would be enormous.....Hopefully borne by the party holding things up.
I've dealt in the business, it can be done with a little prep ahead of time in about a week....they'd have to have the possible candidate's names and a blue line version of both, prepared to go to print ...along with a Carrier from the printer, delivering to each voting district headquarters already prepared....

for certain it could be a nail biter!

I've dealt in the business, it can be done with a little prep ahead of time in about a week....they'd have to have the possible candidate's names and a blue line version of both, prepared to go to print ...along with a Carrier from the printer, delivering to each voting district headquarters already prepared....

for certain it could be a nail biter!
I love Virginia and all but sadly speed is not their strong suit.....Hell I never even bothered to try to do anything on a Friday in Richmond during the first week of the month because everyone took Friday off.....State employees in the state .gov offices would burn their sick and annual leave as soon as they earned it.

I love Virginia and all but sadly speed is not their strong suit.....Hell I never even bothered to try to do anything on a Friday in Richmond during the first week of the month because everyone took Friday off.....State employees in the state .gov offices would burn their sick and annual leave as soon as they earned it.
Yeah, I can see govt not being able to accomplish it....

I was in the private sector, every dime spent as buyers, we were accountable for....Because we were accountable for the bottom line for our area of business.

Running an ad, without the product being delivered for the ad or Flyer you spent money on to advertise...can be a job killer, a pink slip....

if delivery for the printed flyer merchandise was close or running late, we had our advertising dept create two flyers, one for a substitute item in case the original advertised item didn't make it.

Advertising was very expensive....spending ones budget on advertising an item that was not on the shelves in every department store when the promotion ran is a big no no! !Our bonus was based on profit, the urgency not there with govt workers could be a real problem, as you state!

And the Democrats are not changing their nominee, so it doesn't matter.

It matters more for republicans. Given Trump's decrepitude and immorality, will they be dumping him? Biden is beating him, after all, and Trump is dragging down the rest of the ticket, basically guaranteeing a blue wave.

Hilarious, how the Republican/MSM propaganda campaign backfired so badly. Biden is doing better in the polls after the debate

It's tied to a state law that says parties need to certify their candidate no later than at 1700 on the sixth day prior to the election.

The dems got a 45 in-person voting period passed when they held sway so our voting period starts on Sept 20th.

How about your state?

The deadline is no later than 5:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 3, 2024 in Wisconsin.

Forum List

Back