What Is Worth Dying For?

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
In honor of the men who died at D-Day I post this question. The WSJ had a remembrence of the last CMH winner from DDay who died last February. He spoke about sacrificing his life to maintain the freedom that others in the past died for. So I wonder, what today would you consider worth dying for?

My family and my close friends.

Everything else can be dealt with without dying, just from my point of view.

Smedley Butler on Interventionism
-- Excerpt from a speech delivered in 1933, by Major General Smedley Butler, USMC.

War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses.

I believe in adequate defense at the coastline and nothing else. If a nation comes over here to fight, then we'll fight. The trouble with America is that when the dollar only earns 6 percent over here, then it gets restless and goes overseas to get 100 percent. Then the flag follows the dollar and the soldiers follow the flag.

I wouldn't go to war again as I have done to protect some lousy investment of the bankers. There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.

There isn't a trick in the racketeering bag that the military gang is blind to. It has its "finger men" to point out enemies, its "muscle men" to destroy enemies, its "brain men" to plan war preparations, and a "Big Boss" Super-Nationalistic-Capitalism.

It may seem odd for me, a military man to adopt such a comparison. Truthfulness compels me to. I spent thirty- three years and four months in active military service as a member of this country's most agile military force, the Marine Corps. I served in all commissioned ranks from Second Lieutenant to Major-General. And during that period, I spent most of my time being a high class muscle- man for Big Business, for Wall Street and for the Bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism.

I suspected I was just part of a racket at the time. Now I am sure of it. Like all the members of the military profession, I never had a thought of my own until I left the service. My mental faculties remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military service.

Butler was a pacifist.

Anyway, I am surprised people mention friends. I like my friends and all, but die for them? Heck no.

Faith, family, friends, freedom.
I concur. There are some who are willing to die for perfect strangers. Police officers for instance put their lives on the line every day for people they do not even know. Same with firemen.

In honor of the men who died at D-Day I post this question. The WSJ had a remembrence of the last CMH winner from DDay who died last February. He spoke about sacrificing his life to maintain the freedom that others in the past died for. So I wonder, what today would you consider worth dying for?

All the same things.

Definitely my wife and family. I would definitely re-enlist in the military again to protect Our country.

P.S. I would rather kill the enemy that die trying to kill them. What did that one General (I think Patton) say, it was along the lines of "Don't die fighting for your country, make the other man die fighting his country.". That's definitely my sentiment.

Last edited:
I could just die for a nice cold beer right now.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose?

I suppose you're right. How about just a leg? Left leg for a nice cold beer.:lol:

Seriously, though, I was in the Navy for 20 years and I would have given my life to protect the freedoms we enjoy today as Americans. As bad as things seem here at times, there's no place on Earth I'd rather live.

It was Patton, here's the direct quote:

“The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other guy die for his.”

What Is Worth Dying For?

Why do you think you are qualified to ask this question?

Family, friends, honor.

What Is Worth Dying For?

Why do you think you are qualified to ask this question?

Family, friends, honor.

Why be an ass? It's a message board, why does he need a qualification? Maybe he was trying to find out what others think

America has not had a just war since WWII. None of them since have been worth my life or anyone else's. Only idiots find glory in fighting these useless military actions for the sake of defense contractor profit.

Forum List

Back