What kind of cookware do you use?

For smoking, I use indirect cold smoke almost exclusively now. I like to fill up my smoker with several full racks of ribs, cold smoke them all and the freeze them for later cooking. That way I can grill them or braise them and not have to worry about smoke flavor. I try to keep it simple because I'm usually drinking while I'm BBQ'ing.

I think you're confusing cold smoking with smoking or BBQing as it's known.
To cold smoke a rack of ribs would take days.

I'm talking about smoking a rack of ribs and the temperature probably doesn't get past 100 degrees. I live in Florida so that will be as cold as it gets.

Wait a minute...
Smoking a rack of ribs is generally done between 220 and 250 degrees...pitt temp.
How long that'll take depends on the rack of ribs. Usually between 3 to 4 hours.
Although the smoking part can be stopped after about an hour and a half and finished on a grill or in the oven because the smoke doesnt really penetrate past that point.
If your doing a brisket or pork butt ya want to leave it on the whole time to build bark.

For smoking, I use indirect cold smoke almost exclusively now. I like to fill up my smoker with several full racks of ribs, cold smoke them all and the freeze them for later cooking. That way I can grill them or braise them and not have to worry about smoke flavor. I try to keep it simple because I'm usually drinking while I'm BBQ'ing.

I'm talking about smoking a rack of ribs and the temperature probably doesn't get past 100 degrees. I live in Florida so that will be as cold as it gets.

Wait a minute...
Smoking a rack of ribs is generally done between 220 and 250 degrees...pitt temp.
How long that'll take depends on the rack of ribs. Usually between 3 to 4 hours.
Although the smoking part can be stopped after about an hour and a half and finished on a grill or in the oven because the smoke doesnt really penetrate past that point.
If your doing a brisket or pork butt ya want to leave it on the whole time to build bark.

One of our favorites is a whole raw ham.

the bark can almost induce fist fights among family. MMMMMMMMMMMMMmmm

Generally speaking cold smoking is using heat below 100 degrees F and does NOT cook the meat, it merely infuses it with smoke flavoring.

Bacon is generally cold smoked , for instance.

He's most certainly heat smoking his ribs, and then finishing them on the grill.

Doubtful, I'll bet the temperature never gets over 100. I've smoked Cheddar in there.

There's noway you smoked ribs at 100 degrees unless you spent days doing it. And if you did you'd best of put curing salt or sodium nitrate on it days before cooking or you're asking to get sick.

Wait a minute...

I wasn't cooking it, I was cold smoking it.

Wait a minute...

One of our favorites is a whole raw ham.

the bark can almost induce fist fights among family. MMMMMMMMMMMMMmmm

Yep,especially when you spritz or mop with apple juice mixed with pepsi during the process.

Wait a minute...

I wasn't cooking it, I was cold smoking it.

Damn how long did it take?
And you need to be real careful,if you dont cure it first you can get sick as a dog.
Meat needs to get past the temp point where bacteria forms,especially pork,relatively fast or you're asking for food poisoning.

Generally speaking cold smoking is using heat below 100 degrees F and does NOT cook the meat, it merely infuses it with smoke flavoring.

He's most certainly heat smoking his ribs, and then finishing them on the grill.

Doubtful, I'll bet the temperature never gets over 100. I've smoked Cheddar in there.

There's noway you smoked ribs at 100 degrees unless you spent days doing it. And if you did you'd best of used curing salt or sodium nitrate or you're asking to get sick.

See, you should never tell me that there are rules. I can tell you beyond a doubt that I'm smoking those ribs cold, or at least smoking them without cooking them. It does dry them out. Yes, I do them for at least 12 hours and yes, the smoke doesn't penetrate the entire rib but the flavor is unmistakable.

Perhaps you missed what I said originally and you think I'm not cooking the meat. What I do is cold smoke the pork all day long, then I wrap It and put it in the freezer. Later in when I want ribs I pull out the frozen, already smoked pork and cook it any way I want to. It isn't going rancid after only 12-18 hours in a smoker, and I never undercook pork anyway so getting sick has never been an issue.

I am getting ready to buy a new set. I'm thinking the Cuisinart MultiClad but I wanted to ask around before I do this.

I bought Food Network branded cookware from Kohl's. Wife had 40% off. I like it, performs well. Stainless handles and hard anodized surfaces. Like Caphalon, not as non-stick as they claim, but it cooks well.

Food Network 10-pc. Hard-Anodized Nonstick Dishwasher Safe Cookware Set

I got a couple of Calphalon pans,they work pretty good.
Although since discovering de Buyer carbon pans hey generally sit on the shelf.

There's noway you smoked ribs at 100 degrees unless you spent days doing it. And if you did you'd best of used curing salt or sodium nitrate or you're asking to get sick.

See, you should never tell me that there are rules. I can tell you beyond a doubt that I'm smoking those ribs cold, or at least smoking them without cooking them. It does dry them out. Yes, I do them for at least 12 hours and yes, the smoke doesn't penetrate the entire rib but the flavor is unmistakable.

Perhaps you missed what I said originally and you think I'm not cooking the meat. What I do is cold smoke the pork all day long, then I wrap It and put it in the freezer. Later in when I want ribs I pull out the frozen, already smoked pork and cook it any way I want to. It isn't going rancid after only 12-18 hours in a smoker, and I never undercook pork anyway so getting sick has never been an issue.

Aaaaah....must have missed that part.
But again ya got to be careful because bacteria will form if you dont cure it first in the fridge with sodium nitrate.
Temps between 40 and 140 without curing can seriously fuck you up.

But those are aluminum?

The food network? Yes. For things like fried potatoes or quick fried meats, I prefer aluminum. I love how Calphalon cooks those kinds of foods. For steak or a good lamb chop, cast iron is the way to go. But cast iron wants to burn onion and garlic, I get more control with the Calphalon.

I used a carbon steel pan for a time, but found it performed like cast iron. I know the carbon steel is lighter, but weight doesn't bother me so for that type of cooking I just stick to my trusty old cast iron. I have a 12 inch and two 10 inch iron skillets.

What is it you think you are gaining there? I mean you could hot smoke them for 3 hours then freeze them and just pull them out and finish them on the grill, or in the broiler or what have you and have the same results minus the possibly getting sick.

I'm not dogging you either. I'm seriously curious as to what you think you are gaining by doing it that way? And yes, leaving them in say a 90% cold smoker for 12 hours is unsafe. Sorry, but it is.

We dry age our own beef and if you just left that shit in there for 12 hours and then froze it then pulled it out later, and cooked it and ate it, you would get sick. There is a ton of waste when dry aging beef.

There's definitely a reason a 120 day dry aged ribeye is $79.99.

Same with pork, bacon for instance is so salty for a reason , and that reason isn't just taste. The salt preserves the meat.

Sugar of course can also be used.

I have big quality SS set but put them in storage since getting Green Pans. They have the ceramic coating. Cleanup is never more than a couple of seconds. I've seen a few bad reviews but after using them I realize they were cooked to death. You don't need/want high heat for very long. Mine still look new after a year and I use them almost every night.

I love the ceramic coated Le Creusent,you get the best of both worlds.
A cast iron pan or pot that holds heat and an easy clean ceramic coating.
They are a little pricey.
My large roasting/dutch oven ran around $380.00 but I love the shit out of it.
I would be in to that, I have cast iron but made the mistake of switching to a smooth top stove from gas. Cast iron would beat the crap out of it.

I have a cast iron skillet I bought in the 70s. Back in my college days I used to dry them by putting them on the electric eye and heating them. Versus simply wiping them off with paper towels I guess. Unfortunately I forgot once and went on a day long motorcycle ride. Got back and the whole apartment building was hazy and funky smelling. The haze got thicker near my apartment.

The pan was glowing, I could see the electric coil element from above. Seasoned her up and she was back in action. Still don't know why the fire department wasn't there to greet me. I'm thinking of taking a loss and selling this range to go back to gas for the ironware and consistent heat.

Yeah. I have a separate cast iron skillet that I use to sear steaks in. I get it white hot. Of course there would be no seasoning left on it at that point but after its cooled off I spray it down with Pam before I put it away. It still is not warped, and it makes great steaks.

Watching a cooking show the other day where they went away from the traditional method of searing the steak first and started with a low temp of around 250 until the internal temp was around 115 and than they seared it.
This is based on the searing part sealing in the juices as being a wives tale.
And it also follows the same method of souse vide cooking,heating the meat to a perfect temp and than searing.
Gonna have to try it.

I don't entirely buy into it being an old wives tale but I would concede that letting the meat rest before cutting probably does more for juice conservation than anything else.
It's not an old wives tale.

I love the ceramic coated Le Creusent,you get the best of both worlds.
A cast iron pan or pot that holds heat and an easy clean ceramic coating.
They are a little pricey.
My large roasting/dutch oven ran around $380.00 but I love the shit out of it.
I would be in to that, I have cast iron but made the mistake of switching to a smooth top stove from gas. Cast iron would beat the crap out of it.

I have a cast iron skillet I bought in the 70s. Back in my college days I used to dry them by putting them on the electric eye and heating them. Versus simply wiping them off with paper towels I guess. Unfortunately I forgot once and went on a day long motorcycle ride. Got back and the whole apartment building was hazy and funky smelling. The haze got thicker near my apartment.

The pan was glowing, I could see the electric coil element from above. Seasoned her up and she was back in action. Still don't know why the fire department wasn't there to greet me. I'm thinking of taking a loss and selling this range to go back to gas for the ironware and consistent heat.

Yeah. I have a separate cast iron skillet that I use to sear steaks in. I get it white hot. Of course there would be no seasoning left on it at that point but after its cooled off I spray it down with Pam before I put it away. It still is not warped, and it makes great steaks.

Watching a cooking show the other day where they went away from the traditional method of searing the steak first and started with a low temp of around 250 until the internal temp was around 115 and than they seared it.
And it also follows the same method of souse vide cooking,heating the meat to a perfect temp and than searing.
Gonna have to try it.

I don't entirely buy into it being an old wives tale but I would concede that letting the meat rest before cutting probably does more for juice conservation than anything else.

He just misread the post and resting had nothing to do with it.
The new thinking is searing first doesnt do anything and searing after low temp cooking is better.

Gonna have to try it.

The new thinking is searing first doesnt do anything and searing after low temp cooking is better.

I disagree with that.

Gonna have to try it.

I disagree with that.

I really cant argue because I havent tried it yet.
But it appears to be taking off just like sous vide.

Low-Temp Oven Steak | Modernist Cuisine

How To Make The Perfect Steak

amazingribs.com

The Food Lab's Complete Guide To Pan-Seared Steaks

You might want to talk to your chef.
Not only does it supposedly turn out a better steak but it allows you to prepare dozens of steaks ahead of time and hold them at the perfect temp and than sear them when needed. A major time and money saver for restaurants.

As I said in an earlier post I really cant say because I havent assed up the money to try it out but it makes perfect sense.

The Food Lab's Complete Guide to Sous-Vide Steak

Do real cooks use sous vide?

Think the ultimate steak is cooked on a grill? We did it in a plastic bag.

Forum List

Back