What kind of cookware do you use?

I have big quality SS set but put them in storage since getting Green Pans. They have the ceramic coating. Cleanup is never more than a couple of seconds. I've seen a few bad reviews but after using them I realize they were cooked to death. You don't need/want high heat for very long. Mine still look new after a year and I use them almost every night.

I love the ceramic coated Le Creusent,you get the best of both worlds.
A cast iron pan or pot that holds heat and an easy clean ceramic coating.
They are a little pricey.
My large roasting/dutch oven ran around $380.00 but I love the shit out of it.
I would be in to that, I have cast iron but made the mistake of switching to a smooth top stove from gas. Cast iron would beat the crap out of it.

I have a cast iron skillet I bought in the 70s. Back in my college days I used to dry them by putting them on the electric eye and heating them. Versus simply wiping them off with paper towels I guess. Unfortunately I forgot once and went on a day long motorcycle ride. Got back and the whole apartment building was hazy and funky smelling. The haze got thicker near my apartment.

The pan was glowing, I could see the electric coil element from above. Seasoned her up and she was back in action. Still don't know why the fire department wasn't there to greet me. I'm thinking of taking a loss and selling this range to go back to gas for the ironware and consistent heat.

Yeah. I have a separate cast iron skillet that I use to sear steaks in. I get it white hot. Of course there would be no seasoning left on it at that point but after its cooled off I spray it down with Pam before I put it away. It still is not warped, and it makes great steaks.

Cast iron is the ONLY way to make a steak.

i put my skillet in a 500 degree grille for 30 minutes then when meat is ready after resting. I remove from grill, lightly oil and place seasoned steak in skillet on a medium high heat. for TWO minutes first side, flip cook for Two minutes on other side. Last 30 seconds of cooking I add a scoop of Gorgonzola butter.

Remove from heat and let rest for 10 minutes.

I can't believe people don't let their meat rest before cutting. Dumb.

I'm a BIG fan of Truffle butter on my steak!!!
Absolutely fantastic!!

I have big quality SS set but put them in storage since getting Green Pans. They have the ceramic coating. Cleanup is never more than a couple of seconds. I've seen a few bad reviews but after using them I realize they were cooked to death. You don't need/want high heat for very long. Mine still look new after a year and I use them almost every night.

I would be in to that, I have cast iron but made the mistake of switching to a smooth top stove from gas. Cast iron would beat the crap out of it.

I have a cast iron skillet I bought in the 70s. Back in my college days I used to dry them by putting them on the electric eye and heating them. Versus simply wiping them off with paper towels I guess. Unfortunately I forgot once and went on a day long motorcycle ride. Got back and the whole apartment building was hazy and funky smelling. The haze got thicker near my apartment.

The pan was glowing, I could see the electric coil element from above. Seasoned her up and she was back in action. Still don't know why the fire department wasn't there to greet me. I'm thinking of taking a loss and selling this range to go back to gas for the ironware and consistent heat.

Yeah. I have a separate cast iron skillet that I use to sear steaks in. I get it white hot. Of course there would be no seasoning left on it at that point but after its cooled off I spray it down with Pam before I put it away. It still is not warped, and it makes great steaks.

i put my skillet in a 500 degree grille for 30 minutes then when meat is ready after resting. I remove from grill, lightly oil and place seasoned steak in skillet on a medium high heat. for TWO minutes first side, flip cook for Two minutes on other side. Last 30 seconds of cooking I add a scoop of Gorgonzola butter.

Absolutely fantastic!!

I'm gonna get into the cheese making and make my own Gorgonzola. My own steak out of my own backyard with home made Gorgonzola compounded homemade butter? Oh yeah

I don't even use Teflon. I prefer cast iron or stainless.

The electric skillet is one of the greatest inventions in modern kitchens IMO. thats about all the Teflon I use, well other than the aforementioned griddle and panini maker.

My preference is stainless though.

I went through three different brands recently looking for an electric skillet to replace a thirty year old one.
These werent cheap and averaged over $130 bucks a piece but everyone of em sucked!!!
One,a Chefs,left a cold ring about an inch and a half wide on the outside edge and the other,a Breville pro would cycle and not turn back on until the bacon was soaking in grease that wasnt hot enough to cook in.
I finally gave up because while the thirty year old one was kinda small and the none stick was wearing off it at least would hold a temp.

I have to buy a new one every year. cheap ass heating elements that don't last.

Dont bother trying to find a good one. Or if you do let me know because I've had zero luck.
I about sprung for this thing for the backyard kitchen and I'm not sure I still wont.
View attachment 48984

I've gotten to where I only buy the $30 ones, because I know I'm only going to get a year out of them. So why spend more?

I still have the thirty year old that works very well other than being a little small and the none stick wearing off.
I was looking for something bigger like in a 16 inch. No dice.

The electric skillet is one of the greatest inventions in modern kitchens IMO. thats about all the Teflon I use, well other than the aforementioned griddle and panini maker.

My preference is stainless though.

I went through three different brands recently looking for an electric skillet to replace a thirty year old one.
These werent cheap and averaged over $130 bucks a piece but everyone of em sucked!!!
One,a Chefs,left a cold ring about an inch and a half wide on the outside edge and the other,a Breville pro would cycle and not turn back on until the bacon was soaking in grease that wasnt hot enough to cook in.
I finally gave up because while the thirty year old one was kinda small and the none stick was wearing off it at least would hold a temp.

Dont bother trying to find a good one. Or if you do let me know because I've had zero luck.
I about sprung for this thing for the backyard kitchen and I'm not sure I still wont.
View attachment 48984

I've gotten to where I only buy the $30 ones, because I know I'm only going to get a year out of them. So why spend more?

I still have the thirty year old that works very well other than being a little small and the none stick wearing off.

I may give this one a try.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00453H8TE/?tag=ff0d01-20

I have to have a big one too, I cook for like 10 people most nights

Watching a cooking show the other day where they went away from the traditional method of searing the steak first and started with a low temp of around 250 until the internal temp was around 115 and than they seared it.
This is based on the searing part sealing in the juices as being a wives tale.
And it also follows the same method of souse vide cooking,heating the meat to a perfect temp and than searing.
Gonna have to try it.

Absolutely fantastic!!

If you're a fan of compound butters, you should try lime butter on corn on the cob, sprinkled with chili powder.

YUM

View attachment 48984

Good luck.
I tried this one..
http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/30785-chefs-ceramic-nonstick-electric-skillet-16-inch.aspx
It left the cold ring around it.

And this one..
http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/31065-breville-thermal-pro-electric-fry-pan-bef450xl.aspx

Which left my bacon swimming in warm grease.

View attachment 48984

Good luck.
I tried this one..
http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/30785-chefs-ceramic-nonstick-electric-skillet-16-inch.aspx

And this one..
http://www.chefscatalog.com/product/31065-breville-thermal-pro-electric-fry-pan-bef450xl.aspx

Wait, what? Bacon is properly cooked in a convection oven.

Seriously if you've never baked your bacon, give it a try. The flavor is amazing.

Absolutely fantastic!!

If you're a fan of compound butters, you should try lime butter on corn on the cob, sprinkled with chili powder.

YUM

Yeah,thats a thing in mexican cooking.
They have a seasoning called Tajin that they use in the same capacity.
They sprinkle it on corn,fruit and a shitload of other things.
It's really kick ass on the rim of your glass for margaritas and fruit based frozen drinks.

View attachment 48984

Good luck.
I tried this one..

And this one..

Seriously if you've never baked your bacon, give it a try. The flavor is amazing.

I've tried that but wasnt all that impressed.
I do however use the convection oven to start my bacon for wrapping shrimp so it'll actually crisp without over cooking the shrimp.

Good luck.
I tried this one..

And this one..

I've tried that but wasnt all that impressed.
I do however use the convection oven to start my bacon for wrapping shrimp so it'll actually crisp without over cooking the shrimp.

That's crazy , baking your bacon instead of frying it is not only healthier, it's tastier.

Of course healthy is a relative term when it comes to bacon, and the BEST use of bacon is in a fatty.

Smoking a Fatty (bacon wrapped awesomeness)

Heard of em but havent tried it.
It'll have to wait till it gets a little cooler. Tending a BBQ pitt when it's a 100 degrees is a bitch.

You smoke them, not BBQ them. They have to go low and slow, and you can put literally anything in them. I've made breakfast ones, mexican ones, italian ones, really limitless options.

I am getting ready to buy a new set. I'm thinking the Cuisinart MultiClad but I wanted to ask around before I do this.
I've been using first generation Circulon for over 20 years now, and just saw in the new Costco coupon book that the new sets are on sale for $159.00. Can't beat that. Sale starts on the 3rd.

Circulon® Premier Professional Hard Anodized Nonstick 13-Piece Cookware Set

I may replace mine with that, or I may try the Stainless Steel Kirkland Signature.

Kirkland Signature™ 13-piece Tri-Ply Clad Stainless Steel Cookware Set

It'll have to wait till it gets a little cooler. Tending a BBQ pitt when it's a 100 degrees is a bitch.

You smoke them, not BBQ them. They have to go low and slow, and you can put literally anything in them. I've made breakfast ones, mexican ones, italian ones, really limitless options.

You live up north?
This is a BBQ pitt. Which of course is used to smoke meat.
upload_2015-9-1_11-36-57.png

You live up north?
This is a BBQ pitt. Which of course is used to smoke meat.
View attachment 48990

I live in Arkansas, and no matter what the device is called , there is a difference between smoking and BBQing. You can in fact smoke something in your electric oven if you wanted to. It would be messy, and inappropriate, and not very tasty, but it could be done.

Myself I use an electric smoker. Works great.

10296548.jpg

Watching a cooking show the other day where they went away from the traditional method of searing the steak first and started with a low temp of around 250 until the internal temp was around 115 and than they seared it.
And it also follows the same method of souse vide cooking,heating the meat to a perfect temp and than searing.
Gonna have to try it.

I don't entirely buy into it being an old wives tale but I would concede that letting the meat rest before cutting probably does more for juice conservation than anything else.

Gonna have to try it.

I don't entirely buy into it being an old wives tale but I would concede that letting the meat rest before cutting probably does more for juice conservation than anything else.

That's exactly the point of letting the meat rest, and it isn't a wive's tale at all. If you let the juices redistribute before cutting into the meat, the juice won't then run out all over your cutting station.

Gonna have to try it.

That's exactly the point of letting the meat rest, and it isn't a wive's tale at all. If you let the juices redistribute before cutting into the meat, the juice won't then run out all over your cutting station.

No, he was saying that "searing holds juices in" is an old wives tale.

Forum List

Back