What kind of cookware do you use?

That extreme heat can warp the cast though.

Electrolysis is so easy, and it's kinda neat watching the science of it work.

I use a big planter that hold like 20 gallons of water.

Add two cups of this

http://www.armandhammer.com/Index.aspx

then what you do is suspend your cast (or other metal i've used it on stainless, brass, copper etc etc) from a hook so that it is entirely submerged.

Then you submerge another piece of clean metal to be used as an anode. Make sure it's at least 6" from your cast.

next take a battery charger and connect the positive end to your cast and the negative end to your anode.

Turn battery charger to highest setting and turn on..

Watch the bubbles form on top of the water, that means its working. Don't put your hands in the water unless you turn the battery charger off.

Let sit for 24 hours for cast (much less for other materials , do some research)

At the end of 24 hours remove cast from vat, wash in soap and water using 3M Scotch Bright finishing pads to remove film left from electrolysis.

Cast will be stripped bare, season as you like.

Why in the world would you ever strip cast iron?

I season my cast iron every January wether they need it or not. In reality, only the outside gets multiple layers.

Do you think it is somehow cleaner if you strip it? I don't see the purpose of it.

Occasionally the seasoning can go bad. Especially if you use em camping or you cook something acidic.

Hmmm...never seen that happen.

I'm sure you take care of your cast.

Side note, I'm thinking of getting into some cheese making myself. I read your thread last night. How good is that blue? It looked awesome.

I love making cheese, even though I have had my share if failures.

My first two Blues were adequate. I have always made my own blue cheese dressing and my blue did fine. This last two pound round of blue was the best. It took some work but I managed to keep it more moist than previous tries which imo were a tad too dry. I didn't even crumble this wheel, I just carve slivers off if it and eat it. It's that good.

Go for it. The monetary investment isn't too bad. The most expensive thing is if you don't have a cellar, you will need to buy something to AGW your cheese in.

Ah the benefits of owning a steak house. I'm pretty sure I can find a place to age the cheese since we butcher and age our own beef.

I have big quality SS set but put them in storage since getting Green Pans. They have the ceramic coating. Cleanup is never more than a couple of seconds. I've seen a few bad reviews but after using them I realize they were cooked to death. You don't need/want high heat for very long. Mine still look new after a year and I use them almost every night.

I love the ceramic coated Le Creusent,you get the best of both worlds.
A cast iron pan or pot that holds heat and an easy clean ceramic coating.
They are a little pricey.
My large roasting/dutch oven ran around $380.00 but I love the shit out of it.
I would be in to that, I have cast iron but made the mistake of switching to a smooth top stove from gas. Cast iron would beat the crap out of it.

I have a cast iron skillet I bought in the 70s. Back in my college days I used to dry them by putting them on the electric eye and heating them. Versus simply wiping them off with paper towels I guess. Unfortunately I forgot once and went on a day long motorcycle ride. Got back and the whole apartment building was hazy and funky smelling. The haze got thicker near my apartment.

The pan was glowing, I could see the electric coil element from above. Seasoned her up and she was back in action. Still don't know why the fire department wasn't there to greet me. I'm thinking of taking a loss and selling this range to go back to gas for the ironware and consistent heat.

I have big quality SS set but put them in storage since getting Green Pans. They have the ceramic coating. Cleanup is never more than a couple of seconds. I've seen a few bad reviews but after using them I realize they were cooked to death. You don't need/want high heat for very long. Mine still look new after a year and I use them almost every night.

I would be in to that, I have cast iron but made the mistake of switching to a smooth top stove from gas. Cast iron would beat the crap out of it.

I have a cast iron skillet I bought in the 70s. Back in my college days I used to dry them by putting them on the electric eye and heating them. Versus simply wiping them off with paper towels I guess. Unfortunately I forgot once and went on a day long motorcycle ride. Got back and the whole apartment building was hazy and funky smelling. The haze got thicker near my apartment.

The pan was glowing, I could see the electric coil element from above. Seasoned her up and she was back in action. Still don't know why the fire department wasn't there to greet me. I'm thinking of taking a loss and selling this range to go back to gas for the ironware and consistent heat.

Yeah for sure, you can't use cast iron on a glass top stove.

Yeah,you cant beat gas.
Although I have been toying with the idea of a separate induction burner for the heat control they offer.

Yeah,you cant beat gas.
Although I have been toying with the idea of a separate induction burner for the heat control they offer.

I have an electric stove in my house for convenience, but use my gas burner on BBQ grille when I need more heat control.

Best of both worlds.

Yeah,you cant beat gas.

I have an electric stove in my house for convenience, but use my gas burner on BBQ grille when I need more heat control.

Best of both worlds.

I do a lot of my cooking in the backyard.
Especially when I'm blackening fish. I'll never forget the first time I tried that in the house,smoke alarms and the wife were going off.

Yeah,you cant beat gas.

Best of both worlds.

I do a lot of my cooking in the backyard.
Especially when I'm blackening fish. I'll never forget the first time I tried that in the house,smoke alarms and the wife were going off.

when the weather is warm, I try to exclusively cook outside. Not always possible we try.

smoke alarms and the wife were going off.
Which one was louder?

It was hard to tell actually. But it was close.

We had a swimming pool built in our backyard a few years ago and I was home on leave at the time. Anyway, the wife was cooking something on the stove top when we had our first swim.

We ended up getting a new kitchen that summer too.

Got in the pool and completely forgot about dinner on the oven. Smoke damage was so bad we couldn't clean it up. Total remodel of the kitchen.

Then wife decided the new kitchen made the carpet in the living room look dingy.

Her burning dinner cost me $30K.

She's not allowed in my kitchen any more.

Which one was louder?

We had a swimming pool built in our backyard a few years ago and I was home on leave at the time. Anyway, the wife was cooking something on the stove top when we had our first swim.

Got in the pool and completely forgot about dinner on the oven. Smoke damage was so bad we couldn't clean it up. Total remodel of the kitchen.

Then wife decided the new kitchen made the carpet in the living room look dingy.

I let the wife into the kitchen all the time.....for clean up duty.
She figures it's a fair trade.

I am getting ready to buy a new set. I'm thinking the Cuisinart MultiClad but I wanted to ask around before I do this.
I find cast iron to be the best. Lasts a long time too.

I love my cast iron pans. They are the BEST! I pretty much only use my cast iron frying pans now. I don't like the Teflon coated pots and pans. That stuff sometimes wears off and can get in your food and it is poisonous I've heard.

Throw any teflon cookware away once it develops a scratch, that's all it takes is one scratch.

Now you'd have to consume quite a bit of teflon before it caused any serious damage, so cooking with teflon isn't dangerous as long as you throw away scratched cookware, or burned or what have you.

I don't even use Teflon. I prefer cast iron or stainless.

The electric skillet is one of the greatest inventions in modern kitchens IMO. thats about all the Teflon I use, well other than the aforementioned griddle and panini maker.

My preference is stainless though.

I went through three different brands recently looking for an electric skillet to replace a thirty year old one.
These werent cheap and averaged over $130 bucks a piece but everyone of em sucked!!!
One,a Chefs,left a cold ring about an inch and a half wide on the outside edge and the other,a Breville pro would cycle and not turn back on until the bacon was soaking in grease that wasnt hot enough to cook in.
I finally gave up because while the thirty year old one was kinda small and the none stick was wearing off it at least would hold a temp.

Which one was louder?

oh now my wife does do clean up. but no cooking , well very little cooking, with supervision lol

I find cast iron to be the best. Lasts a long time too.

I love my cast iron pans. They are the BEST! I pretty much only use my cast iron frying pans now. I don't like the Teflon coated pots and pans. That stuff sometimes wears off and can get in your food and it is poisonous I've heard.

Throw any teflon cookware away once it develops a scratch, that's all it takes is one scratch.

Now you'd have to consume quite a bit of teflon before it caused any serious damage, so cooking with teflon isn't dangerous as long as you throw away scratched cookware, or burned or what have you.

The electric skillet is one of the greatest inventions in modern kitchens IMO. thats about all the Teflon I use, well other than the aforementioned griddle and panini maker.

I went through three different brands recently looking for an electric skillet to replace a thirty year old one.
These werent cheap and averaged over $130 bucks a piece but everyone of em sucked!!!
One,a Chefs,left a cold ring about an inch and a half wide on the outside edge and the other,a Breville pro would cycle and not turn back on until the bacon was soaking in grease that wasnt hot enough to cook in.
I finally gave up because while the thirty year old one was kinda small and the none stick was wearing off it at least would hold a temp.

I have to buy a new one every year. cheap ass heating elements that don't last.

Which one was louder?

oh now my wife does do clean up. but no cooking , well very little cooking, with supervision lol

I call the wife my Sous Chef.
I let her do the prep work and clean up,but I wont let her use the mandoline and she afraid of it anyway.
She does have some small skill in the kitchen though on certain items.

Yeah. I have a separate cast iron skillet that I use to sear steaks in. I get it white hot. Of course there would be no seasoning left on it at that point but after its cooled off I spray it down with Pam before I put it away. It still is not warped, and it makes great steaks.

Dont bother trying to find a good one. Or if you do let me know because I've had zero luck.
I about sprung for this thing for the backyard kitchen and I'm not sure I still wont.
upload_2015-9-1_10-55-22.png

Yeah. I have a separate cast iron skillet that I use to sear steaks in. I get it white hot. Of course there would be no seasoning left on it at that point but after its cooled off I spray it down with Pam before I put it away. It still is not warped, and it makes great steaks.

Cast iron is the ONLY way to make a steak.

i put my skillet in a 500 degree grille for 30 minutes then when meat is ready after resting. I remove from grill, lightly oil and place seasoned steak in skillet on a medium high heat. for TWO minutes first side, flip cook for Two minutes on other side. Last 30 seconds of cooking I add a scoop of Gorgonzola butter.

Remove from heat and let rest for 10 minutes.

I can't believe people don't let their meat rest before cutting. Dumb.

Dont bother trying to find a good one. Or if you do let me know because I've had zero luck.
I about sprung for this thing for the backyard kitchen and I'm not sure I still wont.
View attachment 48984

I've gotten to where I only buy the $30 ones, because I know I'm only going to get a year out of them. So why spend more?

Forum List

Back