What Might Happen in a Four Candidate Election?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
What if Hillary and Kasich are nominated and Bernie and Trump go it alone? Any ideas on what the electoral map would look like? Would any of them get a majority of electoral votes?

Won't happen, neither Bernie nor Hillary will go independent, because they want to have the Dems appear united.

And...............if Trump or Cruz went it alone, they would take votes away from each other, giving the election to the Democrats.

What if Hillary and Kasich are nominated and Bernie and Trump go it alone? Any ideas on what the electoral map would look like? Would any of them get a majority of electoral votes?

How do you come up with all these dumb scenarios that will never happen?

Just to make your brains explode, LOL

Sorry, No exploding brain here. Just a little pity for you and the odd world you must live in.

Sorry, No exploding brain here. Just a little pity for you and the odd world you must live in.

It happened in 1860; why not again?

Because it is not 1860.

The Dems will unite behind the primary winner. The Pubs will not, guaranteeing the victory to the Dems.

As long as we are thinking about what might happen....

YHillaryNewsScreen-1024x598.jpg

i have been latley wondering if we did have four tickets in the running. Hillary/Wasserman Bernie/Biden Trump/Kasich Cruz/Rubio,,,,as examples,,,,i think Cruz Rubio would win cause of the hispanic vote

i have been latley wondering if we did have four tickets in the running. Hillary/Wasserman Bernie/Biden Trump/Kasich Cruz/Rubio,,,,as examples,,,,i think Cruz Rubio would win cause of the hispanic vote
That would be a possibility if it were Rubio/Cruz.

That would be a possibility if it were Rubio/Cruz.
oh,,,i keep forgetting that Big Bird and Barney are also running as a ticket

It is a fascinating thought game.

Right now- neither Bernie or Trump can succeed as third party candidates- voting by Party is too entrenched.

Not to say that Bernie or Trump wouldn't win some states- and some Electoral votes- just that so many people will vote for the Parties nominee that they wouldn't be able to win.

Now I do think that these candidates sort of show the political divide in America
Traditional Democrats
Far Left liberals(including Angry liberal voters)
Conservative Evangelical Republicans
Angry white voters

And these would all be viable parties anywhere but the United States.

I don't see any candidate representing what I would consider traditional Republicans.

Won't happen, neither Bernie nor Hillary will go independent, because they want to have the Dems appear united.

And...............if Trump or Cruz went it alone, they would take votes away from each other, giving the election to the Democrats.
Everybody is going to vote for their party no matter who get's nominated.

Except the 11% of Democratic swing voters, and the 23% of Republican swing voters...in OH, IA, FL, PA, and VT.

They elect the president, righties like you don't

LOL.....Hispanics don't vote Republican.

And Cruz and Rubio are both Cuban- historically at odds with other Hispanics in America.

And what if cows could fly and grass could grow into trees?
Bernie and Trump could register as an inpendent go on the ballot in 42 states. They would have to be write-ins in the other states because of the deadline for independent filing.

Today it would be virtually impossible for a candidate to win the presidency for 3 very important reasons.
  • The Electoral College does not work the way primaries do. Almost all states use a winner take all rule.
  • Trump and Sanders would go into the general election with the same campaign organization they had in the primary which is not near sufficient to cover 50 states in the last few crucial weeks of the campaign. The democrat and republican candidates will be able draw on the party organization in each state which is well established and ready to go when the convention ends..
  • The cost of campaigning skyrockets in the general election. Estimates of the cost run from 1 to 2 billions dollars. I doubt Trump would be willing to sink that much money into such a long shot. and there is no way Sanders could raise that much money in this time frame and still campaign.
Let's say an independent were to be elected president; he would be a disaster. The president is not a dictator. If he wants to cut or raise taxes, build a boarder wall, fund free college education, enhance or remove environmental regulations, or do just about anything else, he has to work with Congress. A president wishing to hire people for his senior staff and seeking to appoint Cabinet members and judges needs congressional approval. A president with no party has no automatic allies — each one of these decisions would require a fight with Congress and a cobbled-together coalition to pass the president's priorities.

Last edited:

It happened in 1860; why not again?

This isn't 1860

Forum List

Back