🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What one do you think could support human life?

kepler_hall_of_fame_jan2015_profile-full.jpg

My guess
442b is the most likely.
186f is the second most likely
62e is the third...
List of potentially habitable exoplanets - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

I can't wait until the jim web and other very large space and land based telescopes can tell us more about these planets.

Think of it...
-Unlimited resources
-possible other homes that allow us to spread out

Before you start salivating, you should consider the impossibility of overcoming the immense distances involved.

I kind of got the impression that he was thinking that they would already have human life on it. I may have misinterpreted however.

The only choice is 438b

Science rules!!!! Knowledge is power and understanding our universe is a must.

There's probably billions of such worlds for us to discover and they maybe as close as 5-10 light years.

Science, r&d and education is why America is a powerful country. Acting like this isn't so is why we're falling.

Also Kepler 438b is on the inner edge of the habitual zone, which makes it a little warmer than I'd like for a planet. 442b is in a better position.

There's probably billions of such worlds for us to discover and they maybe as close as 5-10 light years.

Science, r&d and education is why America is a powerful country. Acting like this isn't so is why we're falling.

Also Kepler 438b is on the inner edge of the habitual zone, which makes it a little warmer than I'd like for a planet. 442b is in a better position.

Physiologically, it would have to be something with the identical gravity of earth.

Physiologically, it would have to be something with the identical gravity of earth.

Not necessarily. It could be slightly lower or slightly higher and I doubt that our physiology would know the difference.

By the way, to answer the actual thread title, I would say the answer is NONE of the other planets mentioned.

Humans are customized to function normally on one planet. Earth.

There may be a planet somewhere that is nearly identical to earth, and the way it orbits it's star, and the star being nearly identical to ours, but unless the conditions were exactly the same, we would be affected, and likely to the point of being fatal. If artificial conditions were constructed, such as protective buildings with atmospheres that allow human life, then it's possible life could be sustained.
It would take thousands of generations of evolution adjustment to occur however for the Earthlings to be able to inhabit the planet outside of the protective environment.

By the way, to answer the actual thread title, I would say the answer is NONE of the other planets mentioned.

Humans are customized to function normally on one planet. Earth.

There may be a planet somewhere that is nearly identical to earth, and the way it orbits it's star, and the star being nearly identical to ours, but unless the conditions were exactly the same, we would be affected, and likely to the point of being fatal. If artificial conditions were constructed, such as protective buildings with atmospheres that allow human life, then it's possible life could be sustained.
It would take thousands of generations of evolution adjustment to occur however for the Earthlings to be able to inhabit the planet outside of the protective environment.

This assumes that human beings aren't adaptable, don't evolve. They are and they do. In fact, they have evolved to live in nearly every terrestrial habitat on this diverse planet. Don't underestimate our biological ability to adapt.

Not identical but not a lot more. Lighter gravity would be OK, but that means a smaller planet, and their cores tend to cool a lot faster, which means no magnetic shield and no continental drift - two processes that are essential for maintaining life.

Not identical but not a lot more. Lighter gravity would be OK, but that means a smaller planet, and their cores tend to cool a lot faster, which means no magnetic shield and no continental drift - two processes that are essential for maintaining life.

Physiologically, you need to have earth's gravity. Too much would be a strain on anyone's heart, too little would cause one to lose bone density. Those are just two of the many problems that humans would have. Anything other than earth's gravity would shorten a person's life.

Physiologically, you need to have earth's gravity. Too much would be a strain on anyone's heart, too little would cause one to lose bone density. Those are just two of the many problems that humans would have. Anything other than earth's gravity would shorten a person's life.

Losing bone density wouldn't be a problem so long as you never have to go back to Earth's gravity. If low gravity is a serious problem, then they are going to have a hell of a time trying to establish a base on Mars or the moon.

Kepler 186f and 438b are around the size of earth. of, course we will have to learn about mass to figure out gravity...Another method that measures the movement of the star will do that. 442b is a super earth of around 1.3 radii.

What is even more impressive is K04878.01..Of of now is unconfirmed, but has a 258k black body temperature and 1.04 earth radii. This world has a index of .95+ similar to earth.

Also, the McDonalds Corporation is running out of places to build new franchises.

Losing bone density wouldn't be a problem so long as you never have to go back to Earth's gravity. If low gravity is a serious problem, then they are going to have a hell of a time trying to establish a base on Mars or the moon.

They are. No one will be able to live permanently on the Moon, I don't know how Mars compares.

In a few thousand years I bet we have colonies on Mars and the moon....and use the Earth as a massive farm.

Humanity will be smaller though. A few massive wars and domestic chaos will thin the herd.

In a few thousand years I bet we have colonies on Mars and the moon....and use the Earth as a massive farm.

Humanity will be smaller though. A few massive wars and domestic chaos will thin the herd.

Why would anyone prefer to live on the moon or Mars? I can see why they might live there if they had to because of their job, like mining Helium 3 on the Moon, but would the go there if they had a perfectly good job on the Earth? Nope.

Why would anyone prefer to live on the moon or Mars? I can see why they might live there if they had to because of their job, like mining Helium 3 on the Moon, but would the go there if they had a perfectly good job on the Earth? Nope.

Why would have anyone in let's say in 1848 go to America to dig for gold in California, or farm his own land in the Midwest or work in a factory in Michigan or Illinois when they had a perfectly good job as serfs or buggy whip makers in Europe?

Have no dreams, have no ambition, be stuck in the present and you will be comfortable to have no future.

Forum List

Back