What real lynching looks like..

Yes, but clearly he used that specific metaphor for a reason as lynching in American history is clearly linked to black men in America. Also, he qualified it with the term 'high tech.'

Essentially, he wasn't throwing the term around carelessly: he was using it in a very specific and pointed way as a very salient metaphor.

Lynchings between 1882 and 1968 took the lives of 3,446 blacks and 1,297 whites,
Since 1968, 300,000 blacks have died at the hand of other blacks. Get real, here!

I think the point here is that lynching in American history, though it did also take place in the old west, is associated with racism and took place mostly in the South as a way of terrorizing black people: it was, essentially, a terrorist act. It is completely irrelevant, imo, to the crime statistics of current day culture. It has to do with racism, or terrorizing a certain segment of society based on race.

You are a stupid person. You wouldn't know the 'point' if it came up and bit you on the ass.

The modern idea (historical context) of lynching is almost always associated with blacks and slavery but that is only one aspect mostly associated with the late 19th and early 20th century. The largest mass lynching occurred in Louisiana in 1891 when 11 Italian immigrants were hanged, in the west most of those lynched were white. The term "lynching" is also associated with extra-judicial shooting and burning at the stake hence has been around longer than most people associate so no it is not clearly linked to black men in America except by those who don't have a complete historical perspective...... Or an agenda........

The lynching of whites was common in the 'old west.' You don't hear about it because whites have the ability to move and have not cabbaged onto those lynchings for political gain.

Actually..that's not it.

Whites consider that the "good ol days" and want to return to it.

That's a rather overarching, disingenuous claim but please continue spinning, don't let me stop you

The modern idea (historical context) of lynching is almost always associated with blacks and slavery but that is only one aspect mostly associated with the late 19th and early 20th century. The largest mass lynching occurred in Louisiana in 1891 when 11 Italian immigrants were hanged, in the west most of those lynched were white. The term "lynching" is also associated with extra-judicial shooting and burning at the stake hence has been around longer than most people associate so no it is not clearly linked to black men in America except by those who don't have a complete historical perspective...... Or an agenda........

The lynching of whites was common in the 'old west.' You don't hear about it because whites have the ability to move and have not cabbaged onto those lynchings for political gain.

Actually..that's not it.

You have become a joke...You start a damn thread and then turn it on WHITES wanting return to lynching... you liberals have become some sick pos

Actually..that's not it.

You have become a joke...You start a damn thread and then turn it on WHITES wanting return to lynching... you liberals have become some sick pos

He IS a joke. You are 100% correct.

Yes, but clearly he used that specific metaphor for a reason as lynching in American history is clearly linked to black men in America. Also, he qualified it with the term 'high tech.'

Essentially, he wasn't throwing the term around carelessly: he was using it in a very specific and pointed way as a very salient metaphor.

Lynchings between 1882 and 1968 took the lives of 3,446 blacks and 1,297 whites,
Since 1968, 300,000 blacks have died at the hand of other blacks. Get real, here!

I think the point here is that lynching in American history, though it did also take place in the old west, is associated with racism and took place mostly in the South as a way of terrorizing black people: it was, essentially, a terrorist act. It is completely irrelevant, imo, to the crime statistics of current day culture. It has to do with racism, or terrorizing a certain segment of society based on race.
It is only relevant in that all we hear from the President, the race pimps and the MSM is stories about racism by whites, outrage over the Zimmerman acquittal, false stories like Twana Brawley, Duke Lacrosse, ect.
If those stories don't get enough outrage, they claim stand your ground laws are racist and a form of modern day lynching.

All this is to disassociate from the fact that of the 7,000 black murder victims each year, only about 400 die at the hands of whites.
Trayvon Martin was a big story.

WHY?

Why are you ignoring the stories of 6,600 other black people every year?

Throwing the "word" around too carelessly for the politically correct sensibilities of the left?

The irresponsible and careless use of such terms is objectionable whenever the OTHER side engages in that verbal behavior, apparently.

a lynching is an extrajudicial murder by a mob, whether or not the weapon of choice is a rope.
-- according to one commentator. Sherrod Critic: She Used ‘Lynching’ To Gin Up Democratic Voters | TPMDC

BUT, let's be real. The word "lynch" has ALSO been used as a metaphor for almost any extrajudicial mob action, not even limited anymore to just acts of violence.

When Justice Thomas was getting maligned viciously by scumbags like Sen. Teddy "glub glub" Kennedy during the Thomas confirmation hearings, the future Associate Justice suggested that he was being subjected to a high tech lynching. He clearly was NOT claiming actual mob murder, rope or not. He was not even suggesting actual violence. It was a metaphor.

And the left does NOT get to dictate when a metaphor can be properly used.

Destroying someone is tantamount to murder
. I recall the Falwell v. Hustler case. I had that one in first year law school. Larry Flynt said he was trying to 'destroy' Falwell. Our prof said, 'you can get a judgment against someone for kicking your dog, but there is nothing you can do when a member of the press sets out to destroy your life.' I think I have never seen that as clearly as I have with the Zimmerman case. That was a cyber lynching.

I refer you to IlarMeilyr's previous point: if one baseball team beats another 14 to 2, saying they "murdered" the other team is a metaphor. In the same way, Larry Flyint would not have meant he was trying to literally split Falwell's body down into its molecules.

And for once I agree with him; "lynching" as a metaphor and actual physical lynching are vastly different things, and the former doesn't even belong in this thread. So to compare George Zimmerman or Clarence Thomas on the one hand with the Jennie Steerses and Laura Nelsons of the OP is patently absurd.

Last edited:

Not pertinent to the discussion.

I think the point here is that lynching in American history, though it did also take place in the old west, is associated with racism and took place mostly in the South as a way of terrorizing black people: it was, essentially, a terrorist act. It is completely irrelevant, imo, to the crime statistics of current day culture. It has to do with racism, or terrorizing a certain segment of society based on race. That is really the historical point that should not be forgotten and which is why I compared it to Germans and Austrians remaining aware of the events of the Holocaust. It isn't about the violence of that time; probably as many people were killed in the war as were killed in the camps: it is about the reason why people were killed in the Holocaust. I haven't forgotten the Old West and the violence of that period: I regularly bring it up in discussions about gun control. We should not forget history. I'm not just focusing on one area of our history.

Notice on the reactionries who negatively comment on this.

Not pertinent to the discussion.
How so? :eusa_eh:

Look, nothing in this entire thread really matters

What matters is that the left is trying to turn George Zimmerman, a private citizen that was found not guilty, into the modern day lynch mob.

Here is why

Their leader made two statements

1. If I had a son he would look like Trayvon.

2. Thirty five years ago I would have been Trayvon

Should this all end up that GZ was justified in his defense and that Trayvon was a Thug and a thief then their leader is saying..........

End of story

What matters is that the left is trying to turn George Zimmerman, a private citizen that was found not guilty, into the modern day lynch mob.

Here is why

Should this all end up that GZ was justified in his defense and that Trayvon was a Thug and a thief then their leader is saying..........

End of story

:confused: English translation?

Here is why

End of story

I don't think a picture is required to be drawn Pogo. You understand completely though you likely can't admit it.

Here is why

End of story

I don't think a picture is required to be drawn Pogo. You understand completely though you likely can't admit it.

I've always said, if you can't explain your point, you don't have one.
Oh well. At least it staves off any rebuttals. :thup:

Here is why

End of story

Don't be too sure. It's not an act.

Pogo really isn't very bright.

:D

Ok Pogo, though I think you're full of shit.

If Obama claims that 35 years ago he would have been Trayvon, and Trayvon ends up being a thug and a thief Than 35 years ago Obamas a thug and a thief.

Clear enough?

I think the point here is that lynching in American history, though it did also take place in the old west, is associated with racism and took place mostly in the South as a way of terrorizing black people: it was, essentially, a terrorist act. It is completely irrelevant, imo, to the crime statistics of current day culture. It has to do with racism, or terrorizing a certain segment of society based on race. That is really the historical point that should not be forgotten and which is why I compared it to Germans and Austrians remaining aware of the events of the Holocaust. It isn't about the violence of that time; probably as many people were killed in the war as were killed in the camps: it is about the reason why people were killed in the Holocaust. I haven't forgotten the Old West and the violence of that period: I regularly bring it up in discussions about gun control. We should not forget history. I'm not just focusing on one area of our history.

Some yes but her narrow focus is at issue simply because such modern day causative associations lead to intentional and unintentional mis-associations of overall historical context. Such applications generally lead to the common myths like all whites are racist, all blacks are criminals, all Germans under the Nazi regime were Nazis, gun fights were common everyday occurrences in the old west, all liberals are commies and all conservatives are Nazis, etc ad nauseum.

Last edited:

Some yes but her narrow focus is at issue simply because such modern day causative associations lead to intentional and unintentional mis-associations of overall historical context. Such applications generally lead to the common myths like all whites are racist, all Germans under the Nazi regime were Nazis, gun fights were common everyday occurrences in the old west, all liberals are commies and all conservatives are Nazis, etc ad nauseum.

Are you REALLY trying to be rational with a sub-cretin dishonest poseur hack bitch like Fakey?

What's the point?

He won't understand you, wouldn't admit you were right even if he could understand you and will just splutter some more meaningless prattle about "reactionary" conservatives, anyway.

If Obama claims that 35 years ago he would have been Trayvon, and Trayvon ends up being a thug and a thief Than 35 years ago Obamas a thug and a thief.

Clear enough?

Except for the fact that Trayvon Martin was not a thug and a thief. That myth is the vilification myth that justifies for some his death. People need to stop talking about it as if it were truth. It is not fact; it is not truth. It is a myth created by those who support Zimmerman. The only ones buying it, btw, are those spouting it. The rest of us know it is a false story.

Clear enough?

Better. Now I can see your illogic. Before this I had no fricking idea what you were saying.

The flaw in your logic: Trayvon Martin isn't simply a "thug". He's black, he's male, he's young, he's possibly directionless, possibly angry... any of these could be what O'bama was talking about. That is, given the limitations of the quote we're working with.

Oh wait, there wasn't one.

In other words "thug" is not what O'bama said; it's what you plugged in.

Last edited:

Some yes but her narrow focus is at issue simply because such modern day causative associations lead to intentional and unintentional mis-associations of overall historical context. Such applications generally lead to the common myths like all whites are racist, all Germans under the Nazi regime were Nazis, gun fights were common everyday occurrences in the old west, all liberals are commies and all conservatives are Nazis, etc ad nauseum.

Lynching of blacks in the southern US has long been a symbol of racism. To try to deny that or to portray it in any other way is completely disengenuous. You may like to rewrite history to suit your own perspective, but it just doesn't wash. Lynching in America is a symbol of racism: it has been that way for a hundred years and it isn't going to change because you don't like to be reminded of the true ugliness of racism it represents for this country. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynching_in_the_United_States

Last edited:

Forum List

Back