What recovery? SEARS and J.C. PENNEY are dying

Sears has also branched off their hardware stores
I walked through a large Sears store one afternoon last week. It was like walking through a mausoleum. I found only one sales person on the entire floor. The only customers in the store were in the auto dept and the pick for Internet sales. I was looking for a phone which Sears didn't carry so I drove across the street to Target. The store probably had a hundred or more customers.

I seriously doubt Sears would be making it even in a booming economy.

They sure are right about parking

Any time I go to a crowded mall I always park in the Sears lot. Plenty of good spaces close to the door. I generally walk through Sears without looking

I think there's a snowball effect too. If you don't have money to renovate and reinvigorate your store, you'll lose customers, which in turn means less money to renovate, etc. I think Sears and JC Penny's got into this cycle.

I always think 1992 when I hear those names. They're not associated with new/fresh.

Craftsman used to be the standard by which other tools were judged. Now they're crap. Every Craftsman power tool I've bought in the last 10 years or so went tits up way before it's time. The weed whacker, the leaf blower, the chop saw, and the straw that broke the camel's back was the snow blower. It was a 2 stage 12 HP machine that lasted two years. I went to start it up before a big snowstorm and the casting that held the starter motor to the engine snapped off. I went to back the Sears store I bought it from and they told me I should have purchased the extended warranty.

Sears, never again.
Unfortunately, the extended warranty doesn't always take care of all the problem. I had a Kenmore dishwasher about two years old and it just stop cleaning the dishes. Since I had an extended warranty, I called Sears for service. When asked for a description of the problem, I told the lady that it doesn't clean my dishes. She then told me my warranty doesn't cover that. She gave me a stern lecture on using the right kind of soap and the right amount and suggested I try that. I did and it didn't fix the problem. I called back and got the same run around. After some time, they finally sent out a technician who replaced the timer. This was bad customer service on about 5 different levels.

Been hearing a lot about Sears, little about the demise of JCP.

Their attempt at "Everyday low pricing" doomed them. The first my wife heard of it she said it was a stupid move and she'd stop shopping them.

Without her money JCP was destined to fail! Even Ellen couldn't save from that bonehead marketing move.

While I have never shopped in J. C. Penny's, I have gone into Sears and when I went to purchase an item, I was informed that they would not accept returns, if I didn't provide them with an e-mail address. As I didn't want a bunch of advertisements sent my way from their company, I left the product on the counter and went elsewhere to buy the clothing article. So, good riddance to Sears going out of business.

Craftsman used to be the standard by which other tools were judged. Now they're crap. Every Craftsman power tool I've bought in the last 10 years or so went tits up way before it's time. The weed whacker, the leaf blower, the chop saw, and the straw that broke the camel's back was the snow blower. It was a 2 stage 12 HP machine that lasted two years. I went to start it up before a big snowstorm and the casting that held the starter motor to the engine snapped off. I went to back the Sears store I bought it from and they told me I should have purchased the extended warranty.

Sears, never again.

Thats sad really....because the selling point behind Craftsman tools used to be that Sears stood behind them

I worked at Sears back in the ought-70's. An old guy brought in a hammer that must have been 10 years old. One of the claws snapped off. I showed it to my manager and we could barely make out the word "Craftsman". She told the guy to go pick out a new one of his choice. He walked out a happy camper.

Sears, never again.

Thats sad really....because the selling point behind Craftsman tools used to be that Sears stood behind them

I worked at Sears back in the ought-70's. An old guy brought in a hammer that must have been 10 years old. One of the claws snapped off. I showed it to my manager and we could barely make out the word "Craftsman". She told the guy to go pick out a new one of his choice. He walked out a happy camper.

There used to be alot of Craftsman stories like that. No questions...just satisfy the customer

Now Craftsman seems to be cheap knockoffs of better brands

JCP's struggles are a direct result of decisions made by their last CEO who tried to drastically change their business model. They ended up alienating a lot of their customers. Combine that with the rise of online sales and they were doomed. They may never recover.

I actually like JCP for their ridiculous sales where you get coupons to use on top of already low sales prices. They used to be good at making you feel like you got a great deal.

Beware Sears battery-powered tools.

They, of themselves, are a decent value provided you plan to use them only for 1-2 years. After that they might still work well - IF you can find a replacement battery for them. They have a practice of using proprietary designs sufficiently protected that no after-market vendors make compatible versions. Then, after a couple of years, they change the tools and batteries for them in a way that makes the new batteries useless with the old tools.

For which reason it usually proves better to spend bigger bucks for a brand like DeWalt or far fewer bucks for a house-brand from one of the big box stores. They seem to keep supplying replacement batteries - and when they don't, the hit from having to dump the old tool doesn't hurt nearly as much.

their struggles have nothing to do with recovery or lack thereof. bad management and old branding have been doing them in for years.

Been hearing a lot about Sears, little about the demise of JCP.

Their attempt at "Everyday low pricing" doomed them. The first my wife heard of it she said it was a stupid move and she'd stop shopping them.

Without her money JCP was destined to fail! Even Ellen couldn't save from that bonehead marketing move.
Penny's came out with a first price is their best price policy a few years ago. It sounded like a good business decision but customers didn't like it. Too many people just love those cascading markdowns.

Sears, never again.

Craftsman might have been a good brand for homeowners but was never top quality.

Jan. 25, 2014

Two of the largest retailers in America are steamrolling toward bankruptcy. Sears and J.C. Penney are both losing hundreds of millions of dollars each quarter, and both of them appear to be caught in the grip of a death spiral from which it will be impossible to escape. Once upon a time, Sears was actually the largest retailer in the United States, and even today Sears and J.C. Penney are “anchor stores” in malls all over the country. When I was growing up, my mother would take me to the mall when it was time to go clothes shopping, and there were usually just two options: Sears or J.C. Penney. When I got older, I actually worked for Sears for a little while. At the time, nobody would have ever imagined that Sears or J.C. Penney could go out of business someday. But that is precisely what is happening. They are both shutting down unprofitable stores and laying off employees in a desperate attempt to avoid bankruptcy, but everyone knows that they are just delaying the inevitable. These two great retail giants are dying, and they certainly won’t be the last to fall. This is just the beginning.

The Death Of Sears

Sales have declined at Sears for 27 quarters in a row, and the legendary retailer has been closing hundreds of stores and selling off property in a frantic attempt to turn things around.

Unfortunately for Sears, it is not working. In fact, Sears has announced that it expects to lose “between $250 million to $360 million” for the quarter that will end on February 1st.

Things have gotten so bad that Sears is even making commercials that openly acknowledge how badly it is struggling. For example, consider the following bit of dialogue from a recent Sears television commercial featuring two young women…

“Wait, the movie theater is on the other side,” the passenger says.

“But Sears always has parking!” the driver responds.

Sears always has parking???

Of course the unspoken admission is that Sears always has parking because nobody shops there anymore.

I have posted video of the commercial below…

A couple of months ago I walked into a Sears store in the middle of the week and it was like a ghost town. A few associates were milling around here and there having private discussions among themselves, but other than that it was eerily quiet.

You can find 18 incredibly depressing photographs which do a great job of illustrating why Sears is steadily dying right here. This was once one of America’s greatest companies, but soon it will be dead.

The Death Of J.C. Penney

J.C. Penny has been a dead man walking for a long time. In some ways, it is in even worse shape than Sears.

If you can believe it, J.C. Penney actually lost 586 million dollars during the second quarter of 2013 alone.

How in the world do you lose 586 million dollars in three months?

Are they paying employees to flush giant piles of cash down the toilets?

This week J.C. Penney announced that it is eliminating 2,000 jobs and closing 33 stores. The following is a list of the store closings that was released to the public…

read more WHAT RECOVERY? SEARS AND J.C. PENNEY ARE DYING >> Four Winds 10 - Truth Winds
Both Sears and Pennys have been mismanaged for years losing market share to both small and large retailers. Linking the failure of these retailers to the economy is pretty weak. Take a look at their competition.

JC Penney especially.

This year the bozo CEO had the bright fucking idea to get rid of all sales.

They lost Market Share and the stock dropped like a stone.

Sears, never again.

Craftsman might have been a good brand for homeowners but was never top quality.

Craftsman was a good value. Not every homeowner could afford a $400 power tool that they occasionally use. But Sears used to stand behind their product and stories of them replacing damaged merchandise regardless of the reason were. Legendary

Not any more

Sears has also branched off their hardware stores
I walked through a large Sears store one afternoon last week. It was like walking through a mausoleum. I found only one sales person on the entire floor. The only customers in the store were in the auto dept and the pick for Internet sales. I was looking for a phone which Sears didn't carry so I drove across the street to Target. The store probably had a hundred or more customers.

I seriously doubt Sears would be making it even in a booming economy.

They sure are right about parking

Any time I go to a crowded mall I always park in the Sears lot. Plenty of good spaces close to the door. I generally walk through Sears without looking
That's funny. I do the same thing.

I have to say, that I have had no difficulties with any of those items I've bought there. And I got a good 13 years out of my old Craftman 42" lawn tractor.

For me, it's just that I have a better place to buy from than every Sears department. Appliances and TVs at Best Buy, HHGregg, Costco, Sam's Club are all going to be more pleasant shopping experiences, with better deals, better customer service, and less wasted time than Sears.

Sears, never again.

I have done that with shovels. They happily replace it, this last time with a better fiberglass model.

Sears, never again.

Exactly. And their appeal to homeowners helped launch their main competition, Black & Decker, in the 1970s.

My father was born in a Sears house. Yes, in the 20s and 30s Sears used to sell houses. My dad was a loyal Sears customer and all his tools (he had a lot) were Craftsman. Our appliances were Kenmore. My dad used to tell me how he could bring anything that was Craftsman that he was not satisfied with back to Sears and they would make good

Sears is not like that anymore. They are a chintzy sore at the end of the mall that hasn't a clue as to why they are in business

You almost gotta laugh at the bi-polar left. A year or so ago they were supporting the anarchist OWS anti-capitalist rabble and now they pretend to support corporate growth when the administration tells them it's OK.

Forum List

Back