What The Hell Does A Normal American Need A car that will go 0-60 in 2.95 sec

For what? Trips to the grocery store?

2016 Corvette Z06: Supercar | Chevrolet

Why? why would anybody need a killing machine like this? As if our roads weren't dangerous enough already? Nobody needs one of these dangerous overpriced terrors of the modern road. What, do you guys need to make up for your short comings? My God grow up!

If you were to recognize the Corvette for what it is, a luxury automobile, thus a luxury good, one that focuses on the specific luxury of automotive speed and power more so than the luxury of passenger/driver comfort and convenience, you may find it far easier to answer your central questions thoroughly, factually and objectively. You'd also then realize that the purchase of a Corvette has nothing to do with whether it's any more or less effective a "killing machine" than any other automobile or whether roads are made any more or less dangerous by the very presence of Corvettes on them. Moreover, you'd understand why and how consumers resolve to spend what one must to purchase a Corvette.

I think, OP, you want to discuss something that isn't obvious in your OP. Your title question and OP concluding question both are readily and thoroughly answerable by the content of classic consumer behavior research and modeling. In fact, the answers are so basic to the field of consumer behavior that most folks who've spent any time studying business or running a business would classify those two questions as trite and hackneyed for they are readily answerable well beyond the scope of your OP by even a baccalaureate candidate in business, to say nothing of one focused on marketing.
Your final OP statement, "My God grow up!", is one you should take to heart by conducting your own critical research rather than posting puerile questions here. Had you done so, you may have had something worthwhile to discuss rather than asking the simplistic questions you did with the indignant tone you attached to them. You'd have likely learned that self-esteem is one of the various reasons why people buy luxury goods. Additionally, had you done even the barest bit of research, you'd have recognized my first post in this thread was already on the right track to providing a valid and objective response to the additional questions in your OP as well as the title question I specifically and initially addressed. Lastly, and most importantly, however, had you done just the barest bit of research on your own -- even merely Googling "why do people buy corvettes" -- , you would have avoided the embarrassment of having been 'loud, strong and wrong" in your obliquely worded reproach of my initial remarks in response to your title question. Alas, it appears you didn't do that, and here you are....

Last edited:

Why? why would anybody need a killing machine like this? As if our roads weren't dangerous enough already? Nobody needs one of these dangerous overpriced terrors of the modern road. What, do you guys need to make up for your short comings? My God grow up!

No American needs a car that goes faster than 90 mph.

Because it is what I WANT. None of your business, whatsoever in what car I drive.

I don't have one. I'm more into classic muscle cars. I've had a '66 Goat since it was three years old. About 10 years ago I did a frame up restoration. Stiffened the frame to handle the extra torque, had the engine bored slightly from 389 to 421 cu. in. full race cam three carburetors, etc, etc, with all work done by a company that manufactures and rebuilds NASCAR engines. A beefed up manual transmission, beefed up rear end. HP went from 350 to over 500. I LOVE it! One fun car to drive. Usually, it's in the garage but I do take it out often to go to events, parties, dinner whatever. Mostly because I love the car, am proud of the car and it is incredibly FAST.

Do I NEED it, nope, but you know what they say, the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

I raced motorcycles for about 10 years too. A massive adrenalin rush frightens you. The heart-pounding, adrenalin flowing, sorry it scares you. For me, and many others, it makes life worth living.

Now busy your jealous self with stopping people from texting and driving. More dangerous than drinking or drugging and driving.

Cars kill more people than guns.

So....I assume liberals will demand a ban on all cars that are over 4 cylinders engines. 6 and 8 cylinder are just too dangerous.

What The Hell Does A Normal American Need A car that will go 0-60 in 2.95 sec

then there is the crotch rocket

the urban assault vehicle of the youth

No American needs a car that goes faster than 90 mph.

Just another great reason I live in America. That is NONE of your business.

Why does anyone need a gun that can fire 30 shots in under 10 seconds, and be reloaded in under two seconds? A gun specifically designed to kill other human beings. I think a high performance car is more sane than assault weapons in the hands of civilians.

Now I do not need the potential that the car has, but I certainly would enjoy owning a Tesla P90D. Blowing off top end Vettes in a large luxury car would be a blast.

Now I do not need the potential that the car has, but I certainly would enjoy owning a Tesla P90D. Blowing off top end Vettes in a large luxury car would be a blast.
They are always breaking down shit for brains
You keep on sucking corporate dick...

The primary reason a "normal American" uses a car is for transportation; therefore the answer to your title question is "nothing." People need transportation; few if any need to transport themselves or others (or stuff) from a dead standstill to 60 mph in 2.95 seconds. Typical car users don't buy cars that can do that out of need in the pragmatic sense of the word. Such purchases derive from emotional needs, not practical ones.

Did you even read my post? Obviously not. another Trumpeteer.

Red:
Oh, and one other thing...had you looked into pretty much anything I've had to say about Donald Trump, you'd know I'm not a Trumpeteer in any way, shape or form.
Once again you show us your predilection for not "looking before you leap."

Lol. Why do you do drugs. Why do you have sex? Why do you run Rapids? Why do you play sports? Why do you go where no man man has gone before?

Because you want to feel alive. You want to say you have lived. You want that adrenaline rush. You want to do something you will,always remember with a smile.

Get a life Mickey, and don't hammer the rest of us for having one.

My brother has a yellow 2002 Corvette. It is one of the coolest automobiles ever manufactured.

upload_2016-6-21_20-1-40.jpeg

It's almost as fast as the one you are whining about. Your rant is sacrilegious. I hope you get cancer of the penis and have to get it removed. Your man-card is here by revoked.
That is all.

Oh I see. A non answer to the carnage on our highways that you support! Must be another car nut!
The National Safety Council estimates 38,300 people were killed and 4.4 million injured on U.S. roads in 2015, which saw the largest one-year percentage increase in half a century.JASON REDMOND/REUTERS

http://www.newsweek.com/us-traffic-deaths-injuries-and-related-costs-2015-363602

If we factor in terrorist attacks overseas, the comparison is still stark. From 2004 to 2014, 303 Americans were killed in terrorist attacks worldwide, according to State Department reports. During that same time frame, 320,523 Americans were killed because of gun violence. Here’s a breakdown:

None

Having an automobile is a necessity for most of us, having a gun is not.

They are always breaking down shit for brains
You keep on sucking corporate dick...
As part of our Annual Auto Reliability Survey, we received about 1,400 survey responses from Model S owners who chronicled an array of detailed and complicated maladies. From that data we forecast that owning that Tesla is likely to involve a worse-than-average overall problem rate. That’s a step down from last year’s “average” prediction for the Model S. It also means the Model S does not receive Consumer Reports’ recommended designation. (To be recommended, a vehicle has to meet stringent testing, reliability, and safety standards, including having average or better predicted reliability.)

The main problem areas involved the drivetrain, power equipment, charging equipment, giant iPad-like center console, and body and sunroof squeaks, rattles, and leaks.

Specific areas that scored worse on the 2015 model, compared with the 2014 model in last year’s survey, were the climate control, steering, and suspension systems. Complaints about the drive system have also increased as the cars have aged—specifically for the 2013 model, which was the car’s first full model year. (See more details on the Tesla Model S model page.)

But those problems mostly still fall under Tesla’s four-year/50,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty (and eight-year/unlimited mileage battery and drivetrain warranty), so they are generally being corrected at no cost to owners.

Tesla Reliability Doesn’t Match Its High Performance

Seems that the Tesla does have some teething problems. And it also seems that the company is making good on it's guarentees.

Forum List

Back