What would happen to gas prices if Cushing,OK hit by tornado hit Moore?

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
Cushing, OK stores more than $4.1 billion in oil
New oil has swelled Cushing's storage capacity to about 65 million barrels, up from about 26 million barrels in 2005.
Another 125 tanks are planned or are under construction in the central Oklahoma city.
Cushing, OK stores more than $4.1 billion in oil | News OK

And it is only a matter of time being in "tornado alley" it will be hit.

Oh one other major value of Cushing...
Crude Oil (WTI) is one of 4 oil commodity locations used in pricing of oil as a commodity.
I have no idea what the affect on oil prices would be if part or all of Cushing's storage facilities were destroyed by a similar tornado.
Energy & Oil Prices: Natural Gas, Gasoline and Crude Oil - Bloomberg

Latest on the Moore tornado...
:confused:
Oklahoma tornado: Latest developments
May 22, 2013 -- About 4,000 insurance claims have been filed; President to visit Sunday
2,400 homes were damaged in Moore and Oklahoma City; Injured toll at 324, governor says

At least 24 people, including 10 children, were killed when a massive tornado struck an area outside Oklahoma City on Monday afternoon, officials said. At least seven of those children were killed at Plaza Towers Elementary School in Moore, Oklahoma, police said. Emergency personnel scoured the school's rubble -- a scene of twisted I-beams and crumbled cinder blocks.

130522114634-ok-copes-with-tragedy-00003810-story-top.jpg

Tornado victims picking up the pieces

The tornado was 1.3 miles wide as it moved through Moore, in the southern part of the Oklahoma City metropolitan area, the National Weather Service said. The estimated peak wind ranged from 200 to 210 mph, which would make it an EF5, the most powerful category of tornado possible, according to the agency.

Latest updates:

-- About 4,000 insurance claims have been filed so far, said Kelly Collins, a spokeswoman for the Oklahoma Insurance Department.

-- Six people remain unaccounted for, Albert Ashwood, the state's emergency management director, told reporters Wednesday..

Previously reported:

See also:

Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
22 May`13 — The tornado that tore through an Oklahoma City suburb destroyed or damaged as many as 13,000 homes and may have caused $2 billion in overall damage, officials said Wednesday.
State authorities meanwhile said two infants were among the 24 people who perished in the twister. Oklahoma Insurance Department spokeswoman Calley Herth told The Associated Press that the early monetary damage tally is based on visual assessments of the extensive disaster zone that stretches more than 17 miles and the fact that Monday's tornado was on the ground for 40 minutes. The financial cost of the tornado in Moore could be greater than the $2 billion in damage from the 2011 tornado that killed 161 people in Joplin, Mo., Herth said, adding that the Joplin twister left a smaller trail of destruction.

For the first time Wednesday, authorities provided a clearer accounting of the destruction. Between 12,000 and 13,000 homes were destroyed or damaged and 33,000 people were affected in some way by the storm, said Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett, speaking at a news conference. He also put the monetary damage estimate at between $1.5 billion to $2 billion. Emergency officials were unable to put a figure on the number of people left homeless, because many people have been taken in by relatives and only a few dozen have stayed overnight at Red Cross shelters. Six adults remain unaccounted for since the tornado, said Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management Director Albert Ashwood. It's possible those people had just "walked off" their properties or could still be found in the rubble, Ashwood said.

2013-05-21T220457Z_1357549845_TB3E95L1PC0RD_RTRMADP_3_USA-TORNADOES.JPG

Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano visited the area Wednesday, pledging the government's support and urging people to register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency to see what aid they qualify for. "We know that people are really hurting," she said. "There's a lot of recovery yet to do. ... We will be here to stay until this recovery is complete. You have our commitment on that." President Barack Obama plans to meet with victims and first responders, and view the destruction firsthand when he visits the area on Sunday, White House spokesman Jay Carney said. The National Weather Service said the tornado was a top-of-the-scale EF5 twister with winds of at least 200 mph — the first EF5 tornado of 2013.

Dan Ramsey, president of the Independent Insurance Agents of Oklahoma, said a damage estimate in the low billions is "not surprising." "Certainly it's in the hundreds of millions," Ramsey said. "I suppose seeing projections from similar disasters, it could stretch to a billion" or more. With no reports of anyone still missing, the Oklahoma medical examiner's office announced that it has identified 23 of the 24 people who died in the tornado, and that 10 of those killed are children.

MORE

The beginning of a long recovery...
:eusa_eh:
One week later: The daunting recovery in Oklahoma
Mon May 27, 2013 - A man finds $2,000 buried in the rubble of his destroyed home; A huge public memorial Sunday "was probably the start of healing for the community"; Moore's public schools suffered $45 million in damage; Obama visits disaster-stricken areas and calls for donations to the American Red Cross
One week after a tornado devastated the lives and landscape of Moore, much of the city seems frozen in time. But despite the staggering wreckage that still litters the ground, the road to recovery is well under way. Here's the latest on the Oklahoma tornado aftermath.

In the rubble, a shocking find

Desperately digging through the rubble where his house once stood, Tom Bridges made a shocking find on Monday: $2,000 worth of crisp bills. He had kept the money in an envelope tucked away atop a window sill -- a place hidden from view and seemingly safe. But when last week's storm blasted his house to bits, the money went missing. The 68-year-old man and a couple dozen volunteers spent Monday morning combing through rubble that was once his home, searching for the envelope.

130525180719-02-oklahoma-tornado-0525-horizontal-gallery.jpg

Mike Hitch prepares to pull a classic Corvette from under the debris of a home destroyed by Monday's tornado on May 25.

At one point, they stood in a circle and prayed for the money to turn up. After hours of searching through wreckage 5 feet deep, it did. "All of a sudden, I saw the window sill. ... I picked that up, and there it was," Bridges said shortly after the find, his voice cracking. "I just, I couldn't believe it. It was a miracle." He said he hopes to use the money to buy a new pickup, since the storm totaled his vehicles. "Right now, money is money. I got the clothes on my back and a new toothbrush I bought," he said. "It means a lot. It's just these little things like that really bring some joy in my heart, which I need."

Remembering those lost

Thousands of residents poured into First Baptist Church in Moore for a public memorial and prayer service Sunday night. Tissues in each of the pews greeted the mourners. "It was pretty amazing celebrating all of the people that died and that lived," third-grader Ally Keepers told CNN affiliate KOCO. Ally was inside Plaza Towers Elementary School with the tornado shredded the building and killed seven of her schoolmates. "Some of my friends died, and I was so upset that Kyle Davis died," Ally said. "I was crying. I went to the cemetery and put some flowers out there for him."

Debby Goss of nearby Shawnee said the mass gathering was therapeutic. "I think it was probably the start of healing for the community," she said. "This was a good time for them to see each other in one place that wasn't a rescue center or a disaster area. ... There was a peaceful place for them to just sit and think about the other people that are here to support them and help."

Obama tours devastated area

Mid-west gettin' hit by tornadoes again...
:eek:
Storms moving through Southern Plains, Ozarks
May. 31,`13 — Severe weather hammered the nation's heartland again Friday, with tornado warnings posted in the Southern Plains and Arkansas recovering from a flash flood that killed a county sheriff who was checking on a home surrounded by rising water.
Well before Oklahoma's first thunderstorms fired up at late afternoon, the Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Okla., was already predicting a violent evening. From the Texas border to near Joplin, Mo., residents were told to keep an eye to the sky and an ear out for sirens. The warned area included Moore, an Oklahoma City suburb where 24 people died in a twister last week. Forecasters labeled the tornado watch as a "particularly dangerous situation," with ominous language about strong tornadoes and hail the size of grapefruits — 4 inches in diameter. Bad weather was also expected in parts of southeastern Kansas and southwestern Missouri. Tornado warnings were posted for remote areas of far southeastern Kansas and in the prairie well west of Oklahoma City, but there were no immediate reports of damage or injuries. Flooding will be a concern in the mid-Mississippi River Valley through the weekend.

460x.jpg

A wall cloud forms near Interstate 35 and Purcell, Okla. on Thursday, May 30, 2013. At least two tornadoes touched down in Oklahoma and another hit Arkansas on Thursday as a powerful storm system moved through the middle of the country. At least nine injuries were reported.

Flash flooding and tornadoes killed three people in Arkansas late Thursday and Friday. Three others were missing in floods that followed 6 inches of rain in the rugged Ouachita Mountains near Y City, 125 miles west of Little Rock. The Fourche La Fave River rose 24 feet in just 24 hours. "The water just comes off that hill like someone is pouring a bucket in there," said Danny Straessle, a spokesman for the Arkansas Department of Highway and Transportation. The Fourche La Fave temporarily swamped U.S. 71. Scott County Sheriff Cody Carpenter died while trying to check on local residents during the storm and wildlife officer Joel Campora and two others are missing. They had traveled up Mill Creek by boat. "Other deputies heard a loud crash," said Bill Hollenbeck, the sheriff of neighboring Sebastian County. "They thought that the bridge had actually collapsed. Looking into it further, the house had imploded as a directly result of rising waters from Mill Creek."

A man died after strong winds toppled a tree onto his car in Tull, just west of Little Rock, late Thursday. A tornado warning had been posted for the area at the time. Authorities also are attributing the death of a woman in Scott County to flooding; they've released no information other than her body was found in her car. Arkansas Gov. Mike Beebe declared six counties as disaster areas because of the storms: Cross, Montgomery, Poinsett, Polk, Scott and Van Buren Most tornadoes in the United States are relatively small, but the one that hit Moore on May 20 was a top-of-the scale EF5 with winds at 210 mph. Of the 60 EF5 tornadoes to hit since 1950, Oklahoma and Alabama have been hit the most — seven times each. Moore has been hit twice — last week and in 1999. This spring's tornado season got a late start, with unusually cool weather keeping funnel clouds at bay until mid-May. The season usually starts in March and then ramps up for the next couple of months.

Tornado hits Oklahoma City area in Plains outbreak

See also:

Damage reported from tornado west of Oklahoma City
May. 31,`13 — A storm dropped a tornado in Oklahoma City's western suburbs, then barreled toward the state's largest city as cameras broadcast the approach on television.
Damage was reported Friday south of Interstate 40 near El Reno after the twister swept through a rural area. The Canadian County Sheriff's Office said it did not have any reports of injuries.

Funnels of various sizes touched the ground south of El Reno, 25 miles west of Oklahoma City. At other times funnel clouds remained aloft. Cameras showed debris in the air.

State police conducted rolling roadblocks to prevent motorists from driving into the storm as it approached Oklahoma City, which has a million people in the metro area. A storm last week killed 24 at Moore, on Oklahoma City's south side.

Damage reported from tornado west of Oklahoma City

Forum List

Back