What's the Best War Movie?

Just finished watching Lost Battalion again.

My orders to Nam were cancelled two weeks before I was supposed to ship out from A School, had a lot of friends who went, some didn't come back. Grew up military and knew a lot of people (many still living) that did one or more tours and as for Apocalypse Now, every Vietnam Vet I ever talked to, including my dad said the movie was absolute bull shit and in no way represented reality in Nam..

I spoke to guys who were there who said that it was not ridiculous enough.
It is an adaptation of Heart of Darkness set in Vietnam, rather than a movie about the Vietnam War.

Last edited:

My orders to Nam were cancelled two weeks before I was supposed to ship out from A School, had a lot of friends who went, some didn't come back. Grew up military and knew a lot of people (many still living) that did one or more tours and as for Apocalypse Now, every Vietnam Vet I ever talked to, including my dad said the movie was absolute bull shit and in no way represented reality in Nam..

It is an adaptation of Heart of Darkness set in Vietnam, rather than a movie about the Vietnam War.

Yet it's viewed as the quintessential Vietnam War movie by quite a few who are completely unaware of its true origin. I know/knew hundreds of Vietnam vets, not one of them would agree that is wasn't ridiculous enough and to a person (men and women) either walked out of the movie or panned it as a weird flight of fantasy which obviously it was.
Now as a character study it's a great piece of work but as a historically accurate picture of the Vietnam War, it suffers in the extreme.

Yet it's viewed as the quintessential Vietnam War movie by quite a few who are completely unaware of its true origin. I know/knew hundreds of Vietnam vets, not one of them would agree that is wasn't ridiculous enough and to a person (men and women) either walked out of the movie or panned it as a weird flight of fantasy which obviously it was.
Now as a character study it's a great piece of work but as a historically accurate picture of the Vietnam War, it suffers in the extreme.

As I said, it was not about the War in Vietnam, it was an adaptation of a novel set in Vietnam. It was not intended to be historically accurate.

As I said, it was not about the War in Vietnam, it was an adaptation of a novel set in Vietnam. It was not intended to be historically accurate.

I know that, it's not my point. Talk to people who were never there and never knew anyone that was and their take is that the movie reflected what happened in Nam on a daily basis, especially those who were involved with the anti-Vietnam war movement, they believed it to be a true representation.
It's not Sci-Fi but it is fiction.

I know that, it's not my point. Talk to people who were never there and never knew anyone that was and their take is that the movie reflected what happened in Nam on a daily basis, especially those who were involved with the anti-Vietnam war movement, they believed it to be a true representation.

I was involved in the anti war movement and I did not think that. Try speaking for yourself and not for others.

I was involved in the anti war movement and I did not think that. Try speaking for yourself and not for others.

Then why do so many perceive it to be a real depiction of the war? I wasn't speaking for you specifically, you are one of the few who actually know the origin of the movie. So I'll toss it back in your court, Try speaking for yourself and not for others.............

Forum List

Back