🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

What's the dumbest thing a school teacher has ever told you?

I had a sixth grade teacher tell my mom that I wasn't working up to my potential (the bane of 12 yr old boys everywhere), but that it probably didn't matter, because I would be in jail before I would graduate high school.

Two degrees, three companies, and many, many dollars later ... I think she was wrong.

I had a sixth grade teacher tell my mom that I wasn't working up to my potential (the bane of 12 yr old boys everywhere), but that it probably didn't matter, because I would be in jail before I would graduate high school.

Two degrees, three companies, and many, many dollars later ... I think she was wrong.
Yeah, but maybe she inspired you by saying those things because she knew you would have to prove her wrong.

I had a teacher calling state executions were murder.

That's an opinion. But a correct one.

A state sanctioned execution cannot be murder by the definition of murder. Murder is defined as illegal premeditation of taking a life.

A state cannot act illegally? :lol:

Why does this remind me of Nixon's "when the President does it, it's not illegal"...

The state makes the laws, the law states the state can execute a convicted murderer. So it is legal, therefore not murder.
Therefore, based on your reasoning, the genocide perpetuated by the Nazi's was not murder. Apparently, it was okay to put to death so many people because it was State santioned. The Nuremburg Tribunals got it all wrong. Uh huh. Not.
I just know that whenever there is a discussion about abortion, someone usually points out that abortion is not murder because it is legal.

I often wonder how many have used their algebra, geometry and calculus in real life. All my kids took it and when I asked them, not one said they had ever used it. I often thought of it as a part of an admittance test, if you could do the higher math you could do college work.
I use algebra in programming computers and for formulas in spreadsheets. Lots of times when people use advance math they don't realize it, they just do it if they know how.

Yeah, but maybe she inspired you by saying those things because she knew you would have to prove her wrong.

Not even close .... she was an uninspiring witch who was fired two years later.

There have been so many... one is that I wouldn't be able to draw because I am left-handed. I had some water color drawings in a gallery a couple of years ago. I love to draw in water color.
I can relate to the algebra stories. I think understanding algebra requires a special gene and not all of us have it. I certainly don't.:smile:

There have been so many... one is that I wouldn't be able to draw because I am left-handed. I had some water color drawings in a gallery a couple of years ago. I love to draw in water color.
I can relate to the algebra stories. I think understanding algebra requires a special gene and not all of us have it. I certainly don't.:smile:

Has more to do with how the brain works. Perhaps you're right-brain dominant.
I have the same issue reading music. I can do it, with a struggle, but it's way too abstract to translate between brain hemispheres. On the other hand let me hear (read: "feel") the music once and I've got it memorized.

:dunno:

I heard this constantly as a child. "You can make good money doing that." "People make good money doing that." "Surely you want to do something better with your life than that."

It seemed to be that the only thing that mattered was making good money. Meanwhile in real life our parents were making squat and didn't seem to care. Now my generation is all grown up and completely disillusioned and pissed off.

Why didn't they just teach us that working hard was noble? Instead of teaching us that hard work was degrading? Dumb fucking teachers. They taught us not to do drugs but gave us every opportunity to fail emotionally and turn to drugs as a relief from our life of inevitable failure. We will never live up to the standard that they painted for us.

A state sanctioned execution cannot be murder by the definition of murder. Murder is defined as illegal premeditation of taking a life.

A state cannot act illegally? :lol: How's bout the invasion of Iraq?

Why does this remind me of Nixon's "when the President does it, it's not illegal"...

The parameters of murder are clearly defined in the statues. States / governments aren't subject to laws. Laws are for the citizenry. The states / governments are required to obey the constitution that is imposed upon them by the citizenry. The citizenry is responsible for enforcing those laws. Most governments do not have restrictions in regards to capital punishment. In States where capital punishment is forbidden then it is not carried out.

A state cannot act illegally? :lol: How's bout the invasion of Iraq?

The parameters of murder are clearly defined in the statues. States / governments aren't subject to laws. Laws are for the citizenry. The states / governments are required to obey the constitution that is imposed upon them by the citizenry. The citizenry is responsible for enforcing those laws. Most governments do not have restrictions in regards to capital punishment. In States where capital punishment is forbidden then it is not carried out.

Yeah that's all very nice but I wasn't talking about "statutes".

They taught us not to do drugs but gave us every opportunity to fail emotionally and turn to drugs as a relief from our life of inevitable failure. We will never live up to the standard that they painted for us.

Don't blame others for your own weakness.

I had a wonderful History/Civics teach in High School tell me that the USA would never again need a conventional military.

"The age of interpersonal warfare is over. You'll never see the US in another conventional war. The US armed forces are obsolete." - Mr. James B. - 1992.

The context of thus quote was a class discussion on the appropriateness of ghetto US invasion of Iraq.

My son's kindergarten teacher misspelled words on the kindergartners' spelling list.

Duffel, for example. She spelled it "dufle". No she was not French.

I have been known to proofread letters and handouts from teachers with a red pen and send them back. There's no excuse for sloppiness like that. Not only should a teacher be able to write and spell English correctly, but the school has secretaries who can proofread and even compose your stuff for you, if you're in too much of a hurry to do it correctly. Don't be teaching my kid that it's okay to be lazy and half-ass your way through life.

Forum List

Back